Suggestions on weigh in

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on how often to weigh in. I know it is not good to check your weight daily but how often is it good to do?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I think once a week would be fine. I haven't weighed-in in a long time, I used to do it every two weeks on a Saturday morning, I'm going to weigh in this Saturday to make sure I'm still on track :)
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    so many options!

I have heard that the national registry of individuals whom have lost weight do weigh themselves daily. I think the daily fluctuations would be too much of a head game for me.

What works for me is a weekly weigh in. My nature would be to do this upon rising, but I am part of a group that meets monday evenings before dinner - so this is when I weigh in. On Monday's I do allow myself breakfast and a light lunch, but do limit the fluids after noon.

You will find what works for you soon:flowerforyou:
  • lillyfoehn
    lillyfoehn Posts: 2
    Options
    I know they say not to weigh in often, but I do every morning, just so I know what worked the day before and what didn't. I guess it's what you feel most comfortable with?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's best to go with what you're comfortable with. I like to weigh daily, but only log weight here when there is a significant change. I also keep a log of my weights, total calorie intake, net calorie intake, and estimated daily burn in excel.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Once a week is plenty for me.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    weighing in daily makes me absolutely crazy, even sneaking a mid week weigh in can really throw me off my positive thinking track. I try to weigh in about once a week though (to sound at least slightly intelligent, I read somewhere that people who weigh-in on a fairly regular basis tend to weigh less than people who don't). but I don't have a set day. In theory, I'd say I do a monday weigh in but I don't always take the time in the morning to do it. Sometimes it's sunday morning because that's when I have time, or even tuesday or wednesday. So....that was my long winded way of saying "about once a week"
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to step on the scale 2-3 times per week just to keep myself on track. If you are scared of the scale which seems to be a common problem then I think once a week is good. Try not to go too much longer than that or I have found I can start to slip in other areas including eating too much sugar.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. Every Friday morning. It's the first thing I do when I wake up. I don't weight myself more than that because that can get REALLY discouraging because your weight fluctuates so much and that number can be dependant on absolutely Anything. So I think it's good to give your body a week.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Monday mornings. I use the bathroom and weigh in with no clothes before i shower. I log no matter if i lose or not. Monday helps me re-adjust my week if needed, helps me prevent over-eating on the weekends too.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    Right now I weigh in first thing Monday morning. I used to weigh in daily and I actually liked that because I came to understand how dramatically my weight tends to fluctuate. So this Monday I was up 1 pound, but I know that it may be a natural fluctuation and not a fat gain, since I was right on track with calories and exercise. So instead of getting discouraged by a slight increase I chalk it up to water or sugar, adjust a bit this week, and press on.
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    i do mines everyday but im getting discourage I went from 207 to 214 in 3 months im back to 211 so im not gonna weigh in everyday I picked sundays
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Not even going to lie.. I can't help it... I step on the scale almost everyday. I KNOW deep down that it won't be accurate from daily fluctuations but the temptation is too great.... like having only 1 potato chip.

However, I only COUNT the weigh in from Tuesday Mornings.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    even with weekly weigh ins, there is plenty of up & down fluctuations.

if that doesnt bother you so much, weekly is fine.

otherwise i would recommend every two weeks or on the 1st day of each month.

it all has to do with how its going to affect your mental aspect of weight loss.
  • littlemissnotfit
    Options
    I try to weigh in at least once a week, usually on Sunday mornings so I can prep myself for the week. But in the past I've been one to weigh myself everyday... the fluctuations got to be so frustrating that I decided once a week was plenty.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Once a week is recommended, but I find it hard not to get obsessed and often weigh in 3-4 times per day :(

My advice would be don't buy scales, join a weekly weigh in group.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily and take measurements once a week. I also understand that weight can fluctuate for any number of reasons and don't get stressed if the scale inches up by a pound or two for a few days. I also don't get excited about dropping two pounds overnight.
  • gossyozzy
    gossyozzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I prefer weighing in daily with the caveat that I know it's going to fluctuate from day to day. I record the daily measurements and every week figure out the average for that week and use that as my true "weight."