Options
bearkisses
bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
and what is the best kind to get for a newbie to working out, like myself

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever they sell at wal-mart. I've purchased more expensive stuff online, tried mid grade, and frankly don't see any differences except in sugar content and some other macro nutrients based upon brand. I'd experiment with different brands to see what agrees with your body the best.

As for reason why you should take protein powder, you use the powder to supplement protein intake when whole foods aren't sufficient to meet your macros for that day.

Here is a bodybuilding.com article on why you need protein powder: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/spin-the-blender-5-reasons-you-need-protein-powder.html

Good luck doll : )
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you weight lifting to build lean muscle or are you doing lots of cardio and trying to lose body fat?

Protein powder is great right after a workout (within 45 minutes of the workout you should be consuming fast digesting protein like whey or isolate).

Not all protein powder is made the same. Some are high in fat, some are high in calorie, some are with artificial sweeteners and some with all natural plant based.

I am a fan of and use daily:
    Syntha 6 by BSN
    Anabolic Halo by Muscle Tech
    BodyTech

When i started out using protein i used muscle milk light.
    I also liked Vega One when I was not eating meat since it is plant based.
    Alot of people love Optimum Nutrition gold whey standard, I personally find it doesn't blend that well and prefer the taste of the above 3 I mentioned.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Protein powder is great right after a workout (within 45 minutes of the workout you should be consuming fast digesting protein like whey or isolate).

There is NO window in which one must consume protein shakes! Meal timing is irrelevant. Hitting your daily macro goals is the most important thing. If you are able to get all of your protein from whole foods throughout the day, protein powder as a supplement is not needed.
  • missADS1981
    Options

There is NO window in which one must consume protein shakes! Meal timing is irrelevant. Hitting your daily macro goals is the most important thing. If you are able to get all of your protein from whole foods throughout the day, protein powder as a supplement is not needed.

so you consume nothing after a weight training workout? i also did not say protein powder is required in diet, and i also dont agree to rely on powders are your only source of protein either, just an fyi.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I've really been questioning this lately myself and was planning to post to get clarification.

I started using protein powder and eating protein bars after I got into strength training, largely because I saw a lot of my strength training friends doing it and because I saw via my macros that I needed to bump up my protein. However, as I started to take a closer look at my macros and micros, I noticed that the protein powder I started with had a good deal of sodium and cholesterol. I found another one with those numbers reduced but then discovered it had a lot of sugar alcohol and the additive carageenan. And so it goes with almost every powder or protein bar I've found/tried - it seems very difficult to get away 100% from added junk. And none of the stuff is cheap either! I also noticed one of my friends taking a BCAA supplement, and I had no idea what it was.

I have been doing some research, and I'm now wondering if it wouldn't be just as sufficient to eat a cup of Fage Greek yogurt (23g of protein) or a piece of chicken breast (30g protein for 3.5oz) an hour or so before a workout (or whatever would be recommended so that it would digest in time) and then take a BCAA supplement quickly afterward.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

so you consume nothing after a weight training workout? i also did not say protein powder is required in diet, and i also dont agree to rely on powders are your only source of protein either, just an fyi.

I eat whole foods after a workout if I'm hungry or if I don't have the time I'll have a protein shake. This, however is all based on personal preference - there is no "window" in which i look to consume either whole foods or a protein shake. I weight train with a number of people who choose to do intermittent fasting. They may not eat anything before or after a workout for 6-12 hours, but they still build muscle and keep their body fat at a minimum. Again, meal timing is not as important as hitting your macro goals.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I eat whole foods after a workout if I'm hungry or if I don't have the time I'll have a protein shake. This, however is all based on personal preference - there is no "window" in which i look to consume either whole foods or a protein shake. I weight train with a number of people who choose to do intermittent fasting. They may not eat anything before or after a workout for 6-12 hours, but they still build muscle and keep their body fat at a minimum. Again, meal timing is not as important as hitting your macro goals.

Sir, I believe Mr. McDonald would disagree with you. Liquid form protein, according to his studies, is best absorbed within 30-60 minutes after a resistance training workout. I'm sure results are varied from person to person, so it's not like it's an 11th commandment that Thou shall consume protein within an hour of your workout.

Either way, my good friend here is asking a reasonable question. Let's not confuse the poor gal.

Peace, love, happiness, and all that crap.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It's not irrelevant, it's just overstated.
  • missADS1981
    Options
    I've really been questioning this lately myself and was planning to post to get clarification.

I started using protein powder and eating protein bars after I got into strength training, largely because I saw a lot of my strength training friends doing it and because I saw via my macros that I needed to bump up my protein. However, as I started to take a closer look at my macros and micros, I noticed that the protein powder I started with had a good deal of sodium and cholesterol. I found another one with those numbers reduced but then discovered it had a lot of sugar alcohol and the additive carageenan. And so it goes with almost every powder or protein bar I've found/tried - it seems very difficult to get away 100% from added junk. And none of the stuff is cheap either! I also noticed one of my friends taking a BCAA supplement, and I had no idea what it was.

I have been doing some research, and I'm now wondering if it wouldn't be just as sufficient to eat a cup of Fage Greek yogurt (23g of protein) or a piece of chicken breast (30g protein for 3.5oz) an hour or so before a workout (or whatever would be recommended so that it would digest in time) and then take a BCAA supplement quickly afterward.

i prefer real protein/foods over powder. sometimes though you can't help when you need something.

be careful of protein bars, many are glorified candy bars.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

It's not irrelevant, it's just overstated.

agreed
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you weight lifting to build lean muscle or are you doing lots of cardio and trying to lose body fat?

Not all protein powder is made the same. Some are high in fat, some are high in calorie, some are with artificial sweeteners and some with all natural plant based.

I am a fan of and use daily:
    Syntha 6 by BSN
    Anabolic Halo by Muscle Tech
    BodyTech

When i started out using protein i used muscle milk light.
    I also liked Vega One when I was not eating meat since it is plant based.
    Alot of people love Optimum Nutrition gold whey standard, I personally find it doesn't blend that well and prefer the taste of the above 3 I mentioned.

Agreed. And I might have to try to Syntha 6 when all my ON stuff is gone.

To the OP...
    The "feed window" post workout is highly overstated. It definitely exists, but the average person should worry far more about hitting their calorie/macro goals in a sustainable way than nutrient timing.

More accomplished people do need to worry more about the finer details, so nutrient timing can be important for them (just not the average person, IMO).
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    To the average person who is looking to lose some weight, get a little healthier and look a little better... the need to use protein supplements should be based on whether or not they are getting enough protein through their regular diet. If not, then a supplement is a great option. If they are, then there's no reason to. Ideally, protein should come from food sources, not from supplements, but many of us lean on shakes for convenience to help hit our high protein targets.

Personally, I like optimum nutrition products... but it really comes down to preference.

As missADS said earlier... what are your goals? And what do you need to balance out your diet? Not all powders are the same. Some are high protein with little or no fats or carbs. Some are high in everything. Tastes also run the gamut.

So it really comes down to deciding if you need it or not, and if you do finding one that tastes good and fits with your macro needs.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, a vanilla whey protein isolate is probably a good way to get your feet wet. I say vanilla because it will work with a wider variety of additives (fruits, for example) than chocolate, and the taste will be more palatable than non-flavored powders. Also look for a microfiltered powder, not heat processed, as heat denatures the protein and makes it essentially useless. If money is not a huge concern, you can worry about things like the source of the whey (does it come from grass-fed, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, cow's milk?), whether it has added sugar or artificial sweeteners, low-carb, etc.

This is the powder I use: http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/41/100%_Natural_Whey_Protein_Isolate_Powder

Around here, I can get it at Whole Foods and other natural grocery stores for around $50 per container (roughly 28 scoops).

I really don't have any trouble getting enough protein from whole foods, and for a very long time, I refused to even consider powder, but the brand I use is 100% natural, so I don't feel like I'm putting fake stuff in my body, and it definitely is more convenient when I need something fast.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I like GNC Wheybolic Extreme. I usually take a scoop 30 min before a workout and another scoop 30 min after. I used to do whole foods after, but no matter what I tried, I would tend to feel a bit sick when I ate the whole foods after...and I tried many different options. But this is just what I have done...and I don't take any before OR after if I my workouts won't be really intense, as I end up feeling bloated from the shake.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, a vanilla whey protein isolate is probably a good way to get your feet wet. I say vanilla because it will work with a wider variety of additives (fruits, for example) than chocolate, and the taste will be more palatable than non-flavored powders. Also look for a microfiltered powder, not heat processed, as heat denatures the protein and makes it essentially useless. If money is not a huge concern, you can worry about things like the source of the whey (does it come from grass-fed, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, cow's milk?), whether it has added sugar or artificial sweeteners, low-carb, etc.

This is the powder I use: http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/41/100%_Natural_Whey_Protein_Isolate_Powder

Around here, I can get it at Whole Foods and other natural grocery stores for around $50 per container (roughly 28 scoops).

I really don't have any trouble getting enough protein from whole foods, and for a very long time, I refused to even consider powder, but the brand I use is 100% natural, so I don't feel like I'm putting fake stuff in my body, and it definitely is more convenient when I need something fast.

I second the BlueBonnet stuff - I have been having nausea issues, and I can get this down most of the time after an intense workout. I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it fits just grand in my calorie goals. Though, JQ, if you have a Sprouts around, you might find it for about 1/2 the WF price. I have tried some of the other brands, and ended up doubled over with cramps.

I also find that it helps me recover much better after a workout. I mix cardio and heavy lifting 4x a week, 90-120 minutes, just depending. And there are days when I don't get the protein in me, I am completely destroyed the next day. Sunday was a perfect example... I pushed it hard for two hours, to the point where I actually got sick when I made it home, so no drink. (though, I did eat a huge dinner a couple hours later, including 1/2 a chicken) I was so sore yesterday, I was having trouble getting around effectively. I'm better today after a long bath and all and ready to go today.

It IS hard to get my protein numbers up there, which is why I've turned to supplementing.... keeping within the calorie goal is tough, but I'm trying to make it work. The results are showing and so very worth it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You really don't need it if you get enough protein from your regular diet. Buy based on taste.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love it... It's great for an occasional quick breakfast mixed with almond milk and some fruit - frozen and/or fresh. Very filling and nutritious.
  • M4rineMom
    M4rineMom Posts: 7
    Options
    What does everyone think of EAS Carb Control shakes? I absolutely HATE powder stuff but these shakes I can tolerate. They have 2-4 carbs, 100-110 calories and 17g of protein.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

OVbQQpM.gif

Unfortunately no it isnt.

Protein Powder should be used to reach your protein macro goal and it does not matter what time of the day you take it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not necessary. I use it because I have trouble meeting my protein requirements without it. Heck! I have trouble meeting my requirements with it too but I do what I can.

I "heard" one of the more experienced lifters/members recommend Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein, but can't say myself what the best brand is. I'm still experimenting.