workout from home?

Options

Replies

• purethrill
    purethrill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am trying to work out from home more, so it was interesting to hear all the pros. I do have young children that will pretty much climb all over me if I am exercising at home (they think it is a game), so I do use the gym at least two days a week. Am trying to do my strength workouts at home. I have a ton of DVDs, now just have to make sure to carve out times when they are in bed or out with dad.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym once a week and work out from home the other days. I like the variety and change of pace at the gym, but like the convenience of working out at home. (Sometimes I only have a little time free and if I drive to the gym, that eats up part of my time.)

Have a great day!
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle back in February, so my "go to" exercise of running to the Y and jumping on the elliptical trainer for an hour 4x a week no longer became an option. I started doing yoga/strength training at home, to keep the pounds at bay as I healed, and I ended up losing ten pounds - a great incentive to continue! I ended up cancelling the gym membership to save a little money, and now I have a selection of DVD's to choose from - I found that I actually work out MORE now, because I don't have to set aside a certain amount of time to leave the house/travel time - I can just pop one in when I have 45 min available (which has turned out to be almost daily, just because I'm enjoying it).
  • joelann10
    joelann10 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do both. I go to the gym in the morning, watch my shows while I work out. Then after work I do tae bo with a friend at her house. I like to mix it up.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do have young children that will pretty much climb all over me if I am exercising at home (they think it is a game),

Haha, I hear ya. They're all over my weights, under my lifting weights :o and it's a chorus of "mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" haha. So yes, I do it when they're in bed.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Gyms creep me out so I only work out at home or outdoors.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the gym ,running outside and a small part of my exercise is trying to get a bikini body copying YouTube videos :laugh:
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Me!! Me!!!

I'm CHEAP, or as I like to say, frugal. I refuse to pay for a gym membership, so I jog and do free workout videos off of youtube with soup cans as my weights.

I did buy yoga classes off of Groupon, but I'm half way finished with them.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Me!! Me!!!

I'm CHEAP, or as I like to say, frugal. I refuse to pay for a gym membership, so I jog and do free workout videos off of youtube with soup cans as my weights.

I did buy yoga classes off of Groupon, but I'm half way finished with them.

This is how I feel! I'm frugal and why would I pay to exercise when I can do more enjoyable (to me) activities for free! Although I am going to pay to go swimming at my local community centre. I love to swim but don't have a pool so I feel it's a fair trade off.
  • ktsbell
    ktsbell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do both - well, if you count Jazzercise as "the gym". Some days I workout at home with various DVDs from Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper. Other days, I go to Jazzercise. It's nice because if I'm not feeling motivated to workout at home, I can go to a class. But with kids, work, etc, I can't always make it to a class, so when the kids go to bed, I get out my DVDs and start working out.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am trying to work out from home more, so it was interesting to hear all the pros. I do have young children that will pretty much climb all over me if I am exercising at home (they think it is a game), so I do use the gym at least two days a week. Am trying to do my strength workouts at home. I have a ton of DVDs, now just have to make sure to carve out times when they are in bed or out with dad.

I have a cat that gets jealous when I get on my bike. She either jumps up onto my lap or lays on the floor and tries to catch my feet as they go around. lol!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Both. We joined the gym mainly for the pool and the hope was I could do more classes and the kids could play in the play area. They fight me with going. I learned I Love the Kick class there, so now I purchased Les Mills Combat and I'm doing that at home. Will keep the gym through the summer for the outside pool and will re-evaluate. Once Done with Combat though I do want to hit up more Pump classes and lift more.

I have the young kid issue too, so if I can't make the evenings work with them, then its AM before anyone is up (NOT a fan of getting up so early but its working)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I miss my gym membership :( But, I am managing at home. Sometimes I go to a local park with hiking trails... otherwise I run around my neighborhood and use an interval timer app on my phone to time my circuits while I watch TV or listen to music. And, I have tons of workout DVDs as well.

It's possilbe!
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do. I have a variety of Leslie Sansone DVDs, some step aerobics and zumba, and Stability ball that I use at least 5 days a week. I miss the pool and elliptical and the feeling of uninterrupted "me time" I'd get from the gym, but it is really convenient to be able to squeeze in a workout whenever I can without driving across town. When my kids were little, I did it during their naptime so they weren't being stepped on, but now my youngest is 9 and she has no problem jumping in the workout with me, and completely understands when I'm exercising I'm on break from Mom duties.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Me too, don't have the time or money to drive to a gym. I got some different workout DVDs, and Zumba for Xbox.....easy to fit in at home, even with the kiddies.
  • overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. Lots of exercise DVDs and YouTube videos.

I have a gym membership but it would be harder to fit it into my day.
  • gparks
    gparks Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, but I am thinking about joing a gym. I feel that I would be able to step it up a notch if I went to the gym. I here people say that they really started to lose weight when they started their work out at the gym. I complete my step bench aerobics 3 thimes per week and that may not be enough.
  • Ivoryelaine
    Ivoryelaine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from my kid's school 2-3 times a day, I run the stairs at home, I garden, I lift weights and I do yard work. I also have the wii fitness coach program that I love, only I have to fight a 3 year old and a 7 year old for the wii, not too fun.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bike, run around the neighborhood parks, hula hoop dance in my back yard, lift my adjustable dumbells or resistance bands + pushups/planks/etc,, free YouTube vids - it is fun for me and easy to fit in my schedule.

Honestly the only reason I have even looked into gyms in my area is for the sauna & spa! :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I used to think I couldn't workout at home because of distractions, but I have been a dedicated "home rat" for over a year.