What are people's true thoughts of "strong women"?

Options

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So the guy who insists on hugging me every time I walk in isn't an official greeter? I feel icky. :frown:

oh my :noway:
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Strong women look great! But for what ever reason they always look p***ed off at the gyms I go to... I still say hi when I pass them, but rarely get a response. Maybe it's those angry looking strong women that give the rest a bad name. You know, like the stereotypical "meatheads" give any guy with a decent muscle build a bad name.

Are you sure they're pissed off and not just extremely serious? When I'm at the gym, all of my attention is focused on my lifting. When I'm resting, my full attention goes towards visualizing that next set.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you (perhaps unintentionally) come across as unfriendly? There's a chick at my gym like that....
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    people seriously stand back and shake their heads in disbelief. apparently... a woman is not supposed to curl 40 lb d bs or do a chest press with 70 lb dbs either. i do what i want ... Aint NO ONE gonna hold me back from that. I dont do it for anyone but me. and if someone doesnt like the fact that i am strong.... they can look the other way!!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think if you spend too much time on BB or fitness sites you get a flawed idea of what the general public think about women with a very defined musculature.

It might be celebrated here but most people don't actually like it that much from what I can gather and find it off putting and threatening.

You will hear "gross" "ewwww" or "disgusting" more than you will hear "that's amazing".

Sad, but that's just the way it is...
  • don3rd1981
    don3rd1981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Strong women look great! But for what ever reason they always look p***ed off at the gyms I go to... I still say hi when I pass them, but rarely get a response. Maybe it's those angry looking strong women that give the rest a bad name. You know, like the stereotypical "meatheads" give any guy with a decent muscle build a bad name.

Are you sure they're pissed off and not just extremely serious? When I'm at the gym, all of my attention is focused on my lifting. When I'm resting, my full attention goes towards visualizing that next set.

Not when lifting, but more in passing walking passed the cardio equipment towards the weights. I don't think so much as them being pissed these days, I realize more that they're just either in the zone, or getting in the zone. Back when I first started going to the gym though, yeah, that look kinda made me walk a large circle around them.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I wish fit, strong, independent women was more the norm everywhere. There's only a handful of women that ever use my gym. It's a shame.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting on the big boy side of the gym last August. I did my research read books on lifting and watched you tube videos. I walked around a couple different times to get the lay of the land. When I finally got the guts to do it I had a couple questions along the way. The guys were supper nice and helpful! I didn’t want to interfere with there workout, lifting weights is hard! The last thing I want to do is try and carry a conversation when I’m trying to keep the puke feeling at bay.
  • sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options
    you didn't.
    They just became gym wimps.

Your so right! Hang in there lady, people are weird
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Girls with muscles and strength?! Gross!

What's next? Women with brains?!

ruqRq3R.gif

What if I have both?

Then you are a liar!

You hurted my feelings. :frown: I do so have muscles. They're just little, still. Give me some time, I'm working on it.

How long do we have to wait? You have had decades. THEY AREN'T GOING TO GROW

Oh, you're goin down now, boy!

Prove me wrong. :wink:
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think they are great.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Not when lifting, but more in passing walking passed the cardio equipment towards the weights. I don't think so much as them being pissed these days, I realize more that they're just either in the zone, or getting in the zone. Back when I first started going to the gym though, yeah, that look kinda made me walk a large circle around them.

Yeah, for me lifting requires and produces not just a serious attitude, but a need for a little extra adrenaline and toughness. I'll smile or chat during warm up, and after my last set, but between those two events, I spend most of my emotional energy gearing up for fighting through a heavy set. I can see how that might be off-putting until you get used to it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE GYMS ARE WHERE PEOPLE STEER *AT* OTHER PEOPLE?

How do you think other people are living? Do you see complete strangers walk in your gym and start getting high fives for the other lifters? Do you think that there are people that can barely get their workout in because everyone keeps coming up to them and asking for their autograph mid-set?

It's a gym. Everyone is there to workout. At my gym, I talk to my workout partners and on rare occasions someone right next to me. But usually I'm not making eye contact and other lifters aren't making eye contact with me. It's a friggin gym, not a kegger at some frat house. When people are "steering clear" of me, I don't make assumptions that it's because I'm big, or I'm male, or I'm black, or I'm anygoddamnthing. I assume they are giving me space to work out, just like I'm giving them space to work out. BECAUSE IT'S A GYM.

*97.5% of the time when I see threads like this, people are waiting for other people to come up and make nice with them. Y u no initiate conversation urself?

^^ This.

I go super early in the morning. I see the same 6 or 7 people every day. In spite of that familiarity, I seldom have conversations. I'm focused on what I'm doing and I assume they are as well.

Now that I think about it, the only people I ever talk to are going slow on cardio machines. I figure anyone else is working too hard to chat.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why people feel intimidated about even setting foot in the gym.

If people think that they are somebody that others may feel are superior, that people are looking at them and casting judgement?

`You` and I don`t necessarily intend this to be the OP but people who go to the gym and think that it is a competition, maybe it is just other people around you wanting to work out and they are not looking at you with an ulterior motive?

Maybe they are looking at you and comparing themselves and wanting to be like you, maybe they are looking at you and thinking `I look better than you` maybe they are looking at you and thinking about the day before or the day ahead.

Maybe this is why toilet cubicles are separate, so we don`t think our dumps are a competition? jeez :laugh:
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    I am in no means the fittest girl at my gym, but I do cross fit and lift heavy (for me). The reason I started was because of the freaking rock stars on the cross fit games and because I want to be strong.

That being said, that's not everyone's goal. My friend Liz and I have been the "two crossfit girls" at our gym for about 2 months now and we talk to others all the time about it. We invite girls to join in--none have accepted the offer but we always are making fun of each other, laughing, and having a killer workout.

I think it's all about the vibe we put off.

Some people are saying the gym isn't social--and for them they might be right. I like to be social almost everywhere. So if you want to come off as a crazy I am only here for muscles chic, that's your right--do it!

We, on the other hand, just smile and talk to people about the sweet lifting/burpees/kipping we are doing.

Either be there and just focus on you, or be there and try and smile a little. I think you'll notice a difference. Good luck and great job on the success!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's a GYM, not a BAR. People are there to workout, not socialize. Get over it.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    To every single fit woman here, befriend me--I'm too set in my ways to be intimidated, and, besides, seeing fitness really motivates me to be fit so Wifey will jump my bones instead of my belly.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    It's a GYM, not a BAR. People are there to workout, not socialize. Get over it.

Said it like the boss!