Cardio for crappy knees (I dream of jogging)

Options
2»

Replies

• KLCZETA
    KLCZETA Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a similar problem, not me knees but plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis. So I started swimming and recently added aqua aerobics. Don't let the gray hair ladies in the pool fool you. Took my first class yesterday and am feeling it today. Getting in the water is a great way to get exercise as it takes the pressure off of your joints. Hope this helps.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Also, I disagree with you that you need cardio for weight loss. Lifting has a 36 hour window of fat burning whereas cardio has like a 3 hour window of fat burning + weight loss is achievable through diet alone. I know you WANT to do cardio, but fluid build up sounds like you need to do more stretching and massage/foam rolling to help release fluid tension in your body. Lifting will not only help relieve tension off your joints, but the body like bone density will increase as it becomes denser to support the denser muscle.

Having had to go through rehab on both knees post surgery I can tell you I know how you feel because I can't run more than 5 miles in a day without severe physical repercussions. If you start a proper lifting program you will sweat just as much lifting as cardio.
  • Hoosier_Kat
    Hoosier_Kat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, cycling and swimming/water aerobics. That's what my mom's PT advised for my mom after each of her knee replacements and her patellar tendon rebuild. They specifically advised her to use a recumbent bike due to her tendon issue. If you have reduced range of motion/flexion due to tendon or ACL issues, the recumbent is usually advised until you increase range of motion/flexion, but really just try both the upright and the recumbent and see which feels better for your knee. The important thing on both is to be sure the seat is properly adjusted.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Investigating the swimming option, but I am a TERRIBLE swimmer. I may burn more calories from my hapless strokes, though.

get a board to help you w/your kick and then swim w/o kicking to improve your stroke. And if you want it to be less solitary, I would also suggest some type of aquatic aerobics. And I'm not sure if this would be considered low impact or not, but perhaps rowing w/a crew?
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees I find it hard to do a lot of things. squat cause major pain for days. However, I started doing aerobic step with a 6 inch step. I can do that for 30 to 45 min at a time without a lot of knee pain.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    If you are insistent on high intensity cardio, then do jump rope. You should only be jumping a half inch off the ground at the most. Otherwise, walking and swimming are both excellent cardio. A 3-4 mph pace walk is actually pretty ideal, and even leisurely swimming burns a ton of calories.

Yup. Easy on the knees, murder on the calves. Speed rope is where it's at!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tons of good info-- thanks for the advice and support, and much love to my fellow janky-kneed MFPers! :D
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You can do HITT rope training (batting ropes for example) swimming, walking on an incline.

I agree with this because I messed up my knee a while back and then again 2 weeks ago it got bad. I let up on the running, but when I do the treadmill on an incline and incorporate sprints and then walking intervals it does not bother me at all.....I put it between 7.5 and 9 incline because anything above seems to bother my knees.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I, too, am 5'4" and have just gone from 153 lbs to 146 in one month. I've had difficulties with my knees (patellar tendonitis) for the past 4 years because I've been trying to run and finally got it under control this year. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Got some great running shoes from Fleet Feet - they'll fit you professionally.
    2. Using the C25K program after walking 3 miles a day 4 days a week.
    3. Walking/jogging on the soft shoulder of the road - no more concrete.
    4. Stretching for a few minutes prior to my walk/run.

I'm finally seeing success! Good luck.

PS: I'm 53 years old, so don't even THINK that your young age has anything to do with it. As the weight comes off, your joints feel better and better.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    PS: I'm 53 years old, so don't even THINK that your young age has anything to do with it. As the weight comes off, your joints feel better and better.

Ha! You're my heroine! And my age was just a reference to me keeping the same eating habits and my metabolism STRONGLY disagreeing with me! I've learned better ... I hope.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Spinning, cycling and swimming are all good alternatives

this...and a cryocuff IC! itsAWESOME

cryocuff is AWESOME!!! can't say enough about it. best thing i ever got for a surgically repaired 13 times set of knees.

surprised spin is easy on the knees... completely intrigued by spin and want to try it. can someone elaborate on that?
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Investigating the swimming option, but I am a TERRIBLE swimmer. I may burn more calories from my hapless strokes, though.

Me, too. I can stay afloat and not drown, but I don't remember how to do any real swimming strokes. But my back is hurting a lot and someone suggested just walking laps in a pool, so maybe that's an option. That would be pretty good cardio.
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had knee problems for about 15 years now. Years ago, it was pain/swelling when jogging. 1.5 years ago it got to the point of hurt too much after walking around Walmart, and I'd have to spend the rest of the day on the couch.

I have to suggest swimming and biking.

You say you're a crappy swimmer, but hey, it's that much more effort you're putting into it :) The nice thing is that it keeps you off the knees (push of the walls gently on turns). When I swam 10 years ago, I went from 100 yards to 3 miles in about 6 months, and got in great shape.

1.5 years ago, I went to orthopedist as well, and was diagnosed with synovitis (inflamed synovium). They thought it might be Rheumatoid Arthritis, but doesn't appear to be. Celebrex has kept the swelling in check, but I still can't really jog.

I can, however, bike. I went from biking 4-6 miles January 2012 to a 50 mile charity ride in September 2012. I still can't quite jog or play basketball without getting knee pain for a few days, but I can walk, hike, etc.

Are you taking any medications for the pain/swelling? Celebrex has been a miracle worker for me.

Good luck!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I had knee pain for a while, and then I discovered Merrell Barefoot (read, minimalist) shoes. Big, big difference for me. I seldom wear any other kind now. I even wear them to fancy events with the Governor and what-not. :)

If the problem is impact rather than motion of the joints, see if your gym has an adaptive motion trainer. It's like running, only bouncy and fun and not impactful at all. I can go for an hour on that sucker at a pace I couldn't match with running.