People that are Starving themselves

Options
124»

Replies

• thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been the one deleted for commenting on what someone ate, or didn't eat, that day! I thought that's what people wanted...

I'm always positive, just trying to give some feedback and not perpetuate the problems, because those are generally the same people complaining about not losing. There are days we eat way under for one reason or another, or way over, but either way, it's the average that's important, and that there's not a bad pattern.

That's why I have friends on MFP- I hope they would keep me in check if I slip up, just as I do for them!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You don't know their history or their motivation. When I'm not dieting I typically only eat 1400 calories a day, so reducing that to 1000 to lose and then going back to my usual habits isn't a bad thing for me. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Forcing yourself to eat when you aren't hungry is equally disordered--if not more so.

I gained quite a bit of weight due to a medical condition which has been resolved. I'm now dropping it almost as quickly as I gained it, and will have no problem keeping it off.

You are being as judgmental as those who judge overweight people. Instead of judging, maybe get to know them and find out why they are eating like they are. The answer might surprise you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I tend to applaud NSVs rather than weight loss or eating under goal. If I'm on here to make a lifestyle change then that's what I need to support.

If I peek at a diary and see that something looks off, I ask about it, like "Hey, did you really net 400 calories yesterday or did you just not log everything?" At least once, that has spurred a conversation about eating back exercise calories and that person did reset their calories to a higher level a bit later.

I've noticed that some people on here seem to have a history of punishing themselves with food. They overate because of lack of self-worth and get fat, then they get skinny and deprive themselves of food because of lack of self-worth. With people like that, I try to point out achievements.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I just delete them. I don't want to say anything because it's not like they don't know that's too little. I have my own problems to work out, and I"m not qualified to help with ED.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If I peek at a diary and see that something looks off, I ask about it, like "Hey, did you really net 400 calories yesterday or did you just not log everything?"

This would be me last weekend. I went to a food and wine centered charity event and the last thing I was going to do was try to log everything. My diary probably says 400 calories. The reality was that it was probably closer to 4000. I even FOUR desserts--although only a small bite or two of each. I got up the next morning and power walked 10 miles, and no, I didn't "eat back" the 1300 calories I burned off.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If I peek at a diary and see that something looks off, I ask about it, like "Hey, did you really net 400 calories yesterday or did you just not log everything?"

This would be me last weekend. I went to a food and wine centered charity event and the last thing I was going to do was try to log everything. My diary probably says 400 calories. The reality was that it was probably closer to 4000. I even FOUR desserts--although only a small bite or two of each. I got up the next morning and power walked 10 miles, and no, I didn't "eat back" the 1300 calories I burned off.

I'll just scroll through the totals for a few days. I have days where I forget to log too (sometimes intentionally hehehe) but I don't have WEEKS like that.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I just went through a deleted a bunch of people from my friends who were clearly using MFP to justify an eating disorder to themselves. I also deleted anyone I saw supporting someone who clearly had a problem.
    It's one of the down sides to a site like this, not everyone understands to do it right.
  • tigsi
    tigsi Posts: 36
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinion on things, but I'd say don't be so quick to judge. Maybe they don't know how to measure their portions, maybe they are in the process of figuring out what is best for them. Remember- everyone is different. Maybe it's an occasional thing. Sometimes I eat less than 1200 cals a day because I crave veggies like crazy and eat mostly vegetables or I'm sick and I can't make myself eat more. Sometimes (especially on my "monthly" days) I pig out and eat some bad stuff along with my veggies, fruits and home cooked meals. They won't starve themselves forever, they just need to figure out what is best for them. If you want to give them advice do so, if you want to delete them, that's your right, just don't be judgmental, some of those people might be very young and pretty much everything gets to them.
  • idagaines
    idagaines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    All I can say here is WOW, people are so cruel
  • lovegrace21
    lovegrace21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    LOL at all the people on their high horses.

I bet you wouldn't say a word if you saw someone was logging 3k worth of junk everyday.

But they're obviously anorexic a-holes so it's okay, right?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I think this depends. For example, I have about 900 calories left (as of this posting) for the day. My goal is 1600, but I just ate a 1000 calorie meal and I don't plan on eating any more today because I'm super full. I also just spent an hour at the gym, so I'm hoping that someone wouldn't drop me if I did that on a regular basis.
  • cleanbodyfreshstart
    cleanbodyfreshstart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree! If you don't understand someone's situation, you shouldn't judge them. Everyone is here for different reasons. Fitness applies to people who are learning not to under eat too! Just because it isn't as common doesn't make it any less vaild.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just went through a deleted a bunch of people from my friends who were clearly using MFP to justify an eating disorder to themselves. I also deleted anyone I saw supporting someone who clearly had a problem.
    It's one of the down sides to a site like this, not everyone understands to do it right.
    Assuming your way is the right way......the only way is your own...thats just crazy...there are plenty of ways to get to the same goal...I support all people who want to succeed, how you get there is your own business..I ate nothing today.....so now I can eat a whole pint of icecream! Soo gooooooooooooooooooooooood....
  • khall86790
    Options
    Assuming your way is the right way......the only way is your own...thats just crazy...there are plenty of ways to get to the same goal...I support all people who want to succeed, how you get there is your own business..I ate nothing today.....so now I can eat a whole pint of icecream! Soo gooooooooooooooooooooooood....

Hold on... When did I say my way is the right way?
    The right way to lose weight is NOT with an eating disorder, which is the point I am making here? It's not about what these people are eating at all, it's people who were netting 700-800 calories per day and the people surrounding them who were encouraging it.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm not as judgmental. If anyone wants to eat 1200 calories or less to lose weight, feel free to add me. I don't look at anyone's diary.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it's stupid. There are thousands of people dying of starvation all over the world because they do not have access to food and here are some people selfishly starving themselves.
    Now, I know that many eating disorders are due to mental illness and I'm all about educating and helping others get healthy again but I do not encourage it at all.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Agreed! World's first problem, getting angry at how someone eats. Some people are so quick to judge. How do we know if said person is not under doctor's order? I eat once or twice a day and fast twice a week.
  • khall86790
    Options

Agreed! World's first problem, getting angry at how someone eats. Some people are so quick to judge. How do we know if said person is not under doctor's order? I eat once or twice a day and fast twice a week.

Most of the time if someone is on your friends list and you see their updates, they would mention if it was doctor's orders. However I find it hard to believe a doctor would ever advise someone to have a daily net of 700 calories for any extended length of time.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options

Lol, that's awesome. I love icecream. This is so something I would do to justify eating it :)