Devastated...

Options
I trained for 8 months to run a half marathon for team in training last september and hurt my knee a week before the race. I tore the IT band in my leg and my doctor says without surgery I will not be able to run long distances for a long time, if ever again. I feel so ashamed. I used to be able to run 10-15 miles at a time and now I can't do more then 4 without my knee killing me. Just feeling like a failiure and need some hugs. :(

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Well BIG HUG red. Nothing to be ashamed of, but I understand you feel set back. Don't see it as an end to anything though. Today's medicine is pretty impressive and I've seen more and more people coming back after surgery only to better themselves and be more fit than before.

I feel ya darlin'. But don't let it stop your goals!
  • Andreagay60
    Andreagay60 Posts: 50
    Options
    Bless your heart...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. :flowerforyou:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I understand your disappointment, but why are you ashamed and feel like a failure?????
    Get the surgery, get well and treat your body with respect - which means get back into it gradually, otherwise you might NEVER run anywhere again....
    Good luck!
  • VictoriaFitness2010
    VictoriaFitness2010 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great BIG ((((((((((((((((( HUG ))))))))))))))))))! I am so sorry you sustained an injury. The best thing you can do is take care of your body. If you are able to have surgery to repair your knee, perhaps that's the best course of action. On the bright side, at least you can still run, even for short distances. Keep your head up and take time to heal. You shouldn't feel ashamed!

HUGS!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'll send a HUG! =) Don't feel ashamed! *kitten* happens.. and everything happens for a reason. :heart:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure and please don't feel ashamed! So sorry sweets! ::hugs::
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Almost every competitive athlete I've ever known has hurt themselves and had their athletic future threatened at some point in their lives.

There's nothing to be ashamed of and you are not a failure. You got injured.

Do what it takes to fix it, do the rehab, and do everything you can to stop it from happening again. You can do it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Oh no! that would be so awful why are you ashamed you couldn't help it! I know it makes you sad but look at people who have lost a leg they get back in there! this might put you back at square one but eventually you can do anything you set your mind to. BIG HUG
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I understand your disappointment, but why are you ashemed and feel like a failure?????
    Get the surgery, get well and treat your body with respect - which means get back into it gradually, otherwise you might NEVER run anywhere again....
    Good luck!

Definitely agree with this. Injuries happen.
    Sorry you're feeling down, though.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Aww consider yourself hugged. I would get the surgery, recover from it and try something new. Mountain biking, Spinning, there are lot of different things you can do. I use to be a very strong powerlifter, now that I am older , i can't lift as much or even close to what I use to be able to do, sigh I had to let that go and just be happy that I am healthy and can still weightlift..:flowerforyou:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure!! Geaush how many of us didn't even get off the couch for years (hence being here). You trained hard, crap happens. Get yourself fixed up!

You can do it! My hubby had both his legs cut open about 5 months before our first half marathon. It was rough going but you can get through this and be you again :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Get done with surgery, work hard in PT and then get back out there. Know how many people defy the odds and prove the doctors' wrong? Most of the time I think they say the bad things to use as reverse pyschology.

Just get healed up, and return to running when you can. In the meantime focus on non-impact things you can do that can help keep your aerobic fitness. This isn't the end, just a bump in the road. Remember, doctors are required to give you all out comes, and as humans we always focus on the worst. Just focus on getting better and back out there.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hugs!!!!

Don't give up. Running doesn't define you. You define you. Replace it with something you can do without pain. Swim, bike whatever....find a competition that includes something you can do and get out there and do it! Set new goals. Good Luck!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure and no need to be ashamed. I broke my foot and developed arthritis; the doctor told me I probably wouldn't be able to run or do squats again. I cried in his office. At that point I couldn't even walk without pain and I thought my life had changed forever.

Fast forward two years, and I ran 3 times last week. At a faster pace than I did pre-injury. I did a lot of physical therapy and worked with a trainer. It's been a lot of work but it's worth it. I'm now gradually increasing my mileage, but also enjoying the shorter runs - more opportunities to improve my speed. I also do squats no problem and am pain free.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bad luck to get an injury not a failure! There are hardly any athletes or fitness people who haven't got or had an injury! Get better soon! Look after yourself well, lots of luck for the future!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Big hug to you, Red. Like they're all saying - get the surgery, do the rehab, and get back to what you love. It could be waaay worse - at least there's a fix to it all.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Unfortunately with working and going to school full time I can't afford a surgery like that for a few more years at best. :(
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about this. But you still have your legs and can use them- so you run the shorter distances that you can tolerate and you find another activity that you love and you master it!
  • shawnmaire74
    shawnmaire74 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    (((HUGS))) From one redhead to another. Similar situation happened to my son's girlfriend. She jumps out of airplanes (crazy girl) and hurt her knee with a bad landing. Through physical therapy she is back in shape and running like a star. If there is something keeping you from surgery or PT you can contact a Physical Therapy clinic, explain your situation and a lot of times they will give hand outs of exercices and stretches to do that will help rehabiliate the body part. Good luck and hang in there. Your are definitley not a failure.
  • k8wizzo
    k8wizzo Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Unfortunately with working and going to school full time I can't afford a surgery like that for a few more years at best. :(

((hugs)) Do what you can for now. Run the miles that you can to stay fit and work on another sport in between now and when you can afford to do the surgery. If you decide never to do it, know that 4 miles is more than most people can run, ever.