Losing 1lb a week's good but how can I lose 2 instead?

I'm dieting 1200 calories, I usually net 1100-1000 after my exercises, sometimes less if I'm not hungry. Thing is, I've been losing 1 pound a week and I think it's because of the diet BUT, however, I also do Tae Bo 3-4 days a week and I don't think it's helping me. I mean, I sweat a looooooot and feel sore the next day but it doesn't reflect on the scale. Any feedback on my diary would be great, any exercise you would like to recommend as well.

I only eat my exercise calories if I'm hungry, just barely

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm losing any where from 1 to 3 pound's a week. What I do is after dinner I walk 2 miles if I'm real hungry I will grab a fruit and a bottle of water after my walk. But most of the time I just drink a bottle or two of water so I want have the calories on me when I go to bed, I hope this help's you in some way..

Good luck :)
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Funny thing is that I lost better on 1500 calorie limit than 1200. Make sure you fuel your body enough. Eating less calories may lower your metabolism and take your body to starving mode (where you can't lose much).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You're not eating enough.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    MFP isn't about trying to net the fewest possible number of calories. It's about learning to eat at a healthy level for your body - not too much and not too little.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    How tall are you, and how much are you looking to lose? I have 85 left to lose which means I HAVE the extra weight to be losing 2lbs a week, but if you only have say 20 to lose then you probably shouldn't aim for 2lbs a week.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    I had MFP set for a 2lb loss per week. It gave me 1300 calories. I lost about half a pound a week. I changed my goal to 1.5lb per week and it gave me 1500 calories...my first week with more calories, I lost two pounds...maybe you need to eat more.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member

Yeah this! I bet you should be eating 1500 at least...what is your height?
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    How tall are you, and how much are you looking to lose? I have 85 left to lose which means I HAVE the extra weight to be losing 2lbs a week, but if you only have say 20 to lose then you probably shouldn't aim for 2lbs a week.

I am 5'5 and I weigh 185 and I'm looking to lose 40
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Don't be in such a hurry. Losing 1 lb a week is not a bad thing.

You probably could stand to eat a little more, especially with the amount of exercise you do. You have to feed the body and let it know it's going to get fuel.

But, if you don't get in a hurry and learn how to eat healthy portions at a reasonable deficit and exercise, then the weight will take care of itself.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Try this spreadsheet. It will tell you what you should be eating.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm no expert, but it looks like you tend to be high on carbs and low on protein. Maybe try reversing that so you get a lot more protein and less carbs. Just a thought.
  • Do you eat breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - snack? Drink lots of water?
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm no expert, but it looks like you tend to be high on carbs and low on protein. Maybe try reversing that so you get a lot more protein and less carbs. Just a thought.

Especially with the amount of exercise you are getting.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Simple math equation.

Exercise + calorie cut = weight loss.

Add to either of the above, and you will see more weight drop off faster. But there are risks and downsides to each of them.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member

Definitely this ^

I lose more eating 1565 per day than I did on 1200 or even 1300! I have been losing anywhere from 1.6 to 2.8 per week since I increased my calorie intake
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Unless you are over 200, it is unrealistic to expect to lose 2 pounds every week. Severely restricting calories is not healthy and will actually slow your weight loss. True story.

Why is your weight loss a race? Pick a lifestyle that is sustainable forever so that when you reach your goal you don't revert back to what caused you to get overweight in the first place.

I'm 5'6 182 and I'm not even losing a pound every week. So what? I'm eating the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life (but I might be able to eat more carbs from veggies once my metabolic issues have been resolved).

Edit: contrary to some of the advice here, there is more to weight loss than ONLY calories in and calories out. People have forgotten the endocrine system and how different foods affect hormones. Our body is a complex system, and while the law of thermodynamics certainly applies, it is very much an over-simplification to say it's only calories and energy expenditure that determine body weight.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Simple math equation.

Exercise + calorie cut = weight loss.

Add to either of the above, and you will see more weight drop off faster. But there are risks and downsides to each of them.

While this is true, you can have too much of a calorie deficit to be healthy and it can adversely effect weight loss.
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Try this spreadsheet. It will tell you what you should be eating.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

This ^

I use this spreadsheet and I LOVE it!!! If it is "too scary", "too much math", "too overwhelming" - there is a simple way to get to the same place. Read the thread below and do the calculations. Once you get that number eat towards it. You might have to increase your calories by 200/week until you reach the number. In this system you DO NOT eat back the exercise calories. They are already figured out in there. It works. And weight will drop sometimes faster, sometimes slower. You just need to stick with it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975707-fat-loss-tactics-guide
  • tenpoints4u
    tenpoints4u Posts: 17 Member
    Looks like you need to reverse your carbs and proteins. Try keeping carbs to 20 per meal, and particularly sugar to 10 grams per meal, and increase your proteins to 30 per meal.