My Paleo Shepherd's Pie Recipe!

Options
itsCheek
itsCheek Posts: 104
Back before my vegan days, I made this dish a lot! I still make it for my boyfriend and he loves it. It reheats well and keeps for about a week.

You'll need:
1 lb. Lean Ground Turkey or Ground Beef (Grass-fed)
1 onion-chopped (buy a SlapChop on eBay for $7! They rock!!)
1/2 stalk celery-chopped
1/2 carrot-chopped
2-4 gloves garlic (depending on your taste)
2 heads of cauliflower
1/2 cup coconut milk (the thick kind in a can)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 egg
1 tbsp olive oil
Sea Salt and pepper to taste
Glass baking dish...a 6x8" would work just fine (I've used a bunch of different sizes, so whatever looks like it will fit your mix!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To start, cut off the crowns of cauliflower, leaving about 1/2"-3/4" of the stem. Fill a large pot with 2" of water and steam the cauliflower with the lid on. It takes about 20 minutes or so. You can tell it is ready when it feels soft when you poke it through with a fork. While it's steaming....

In a big skillet, add your olive oil and turn on medium-high heat. Toss in your onions, and cook until they just start to turn clear. Next toss in your garlic until it browns a bit. Now, you can throw in the carrots and celery, and let them heat up a bit til they start to soften.

Now, add in your meat. Season it with sea salt and pepper. Break it up with your wooden spoon and cook it until it is brown. Add in the tomato paste to this mix and stir it around and let heat up. If you'd like, you can put in Worcester sauce too.

Now, spray your baking dish with coconut oil spray (I get it for $3 at Trader Joes). Pour in the meat mix and spread it out evenly.

Now for your "faux" potato topping - when the cauliflower is done steaming, drain it and add in the coconut milk and season with some sea salt. Mash it all up, and pour it evenly on top of your meat mix in the baking dish.

Beat an egg, and brush it over the top of the cauliflower mix. You probably won't use all of the mix. Don't let the egg pool, just brush it over lightly and evenly. This helps "harden" the top of the pie to make almost a crust.

Stick all this in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until you can see the top of it looks like it's starting to brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes before you cut into it after baking.

Enjoy!

Note: You can swap the cauliflower mash for sweet-potato mash and it's still Paleo! Just higher in calories.

Replies

• itsCheek
    Options
    BTW - how many of you are Paleo on here? I have a lot of great recipes in my arsenal. Let me know if you want to see more!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm not Paleo, but I love cauliflower mashed "potatoes". Thanks for the idea!
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Not Paleo, but Im GF and eat very limited lactose. Often find myself using Paleo recipes and this sounds FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing :)
  • 57beth
    57beth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'm 2 weeks new to Paleo and this sounds tasty and easy enough. I realize I have to cook ahead to have the variety I need. I am not all the way free of grains, dairy and legumes (still have some leftover peanuts). I did notice from the sights nutrition tracking that I maintain a more even amount of intake of :smile: fats, calories, fiber, etc. My guess is that this help levels the moodiness. Thanks, beth
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    not paleo but I like meat and veg so I'm giving it a go. Probably add cheese to the top too.

Thanks
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Looks good and I love cauliflower. Personally I don't see potatoes as forbidden.
  • barber91104
    Options
    I am doing paleo!!! I would love some new recipes! 1 month in and dropped 30 lbs.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting into the paleo debate, but have you tried freezing protions? Way healthier than keeping it in the fridge for a week.
    Also, if I leave anything in the fridge it gets eaten - the only way to save "spare" portions is to freeze them before hubs finds them
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You're doing it all wrong! Paleolithic man didn't have a slap-chop!
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!

You went from Paleo to vegan????
  • itsCheek
    Options
    Sounds great!

You went from Paleo to vegan????

Yup! Watched Vegucated thinking it was a movie about juicing and can't stand to consume any animal products anymore.

My boyfriend is still Paleo though! He loves his bacon and eggs!
  • itsCheek
    Options
    Looks good and I love cauliflower. Personally I don't see potatoes as forbidden.

Sweet potatoes aren't forbidden on Paleo. You can put sweet potato mash on this instead of the cauliflower mash, but the cauliflower saves you a few calories.
  • itsCheek
    Options
    I'm not getting into the paleo debate, but have you tried freezing protions? Way healthier than keeping it in the fridge for a week.
    Also, if I leave anything in the fridge it gets eaten - the only way to save "spare" portions is to freeze them before hubs finds them

I would freeze it, but he or I would most likely forget to transfer it from the freezer to the fridge to defrost it before lunch and he'd have nothing to eat!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    110_spuds_potatoes_paleo.jpg
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am on a high protein low carb, so almost paleo, but would love to see some more of your recipes, will try this sheperds pie sounds great. Thanks
  • VeronicaG2B
    VeronicaG2B Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Paleo or not, your recipe sounds good. How many servings is it?
  • samanthagraessle
    Options
    Sounds yummy!