Help me out - I want to gain muscle!

Options
Hey everyone! I play rugby, and as a smaller player I would like to put on some more muscle this summer. My body took this season pretty rough physically because of my heavy class-load and not so much time to eat. So...what is the best way to go about gaining muscle? I plan on doing StrongLifts 5x5 three times a week, and cardio training (sprints, suicides, up-downs, speed ladder, 5ks, etc.) two to three times a week. I have a Polar HRM so I will be able to track my calorie burn during cardio workouts. I will also have a full-time job this summer working with my university's residential services, basically I will be cleaning dorm rooms and buildings all day. Currently I'm about 165 - 170 lbs. at 5'3".

How many calories should I be eating as a female to gain muscle? What is the realistic amount of muscle I could gain this summer before the fall season starts at the end of August? I do also understand that I will be gaining some fat as well, and that's okay with me. I love lifting weights and I love to eat...all I need is some guidance! :drinker:

Replies

• pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    I would like to know this too. My son is 15 almost 16 and is so thin he is almost transparent. He bowls and needs some more muscle. He has been doing some resistance training. He never stops moving and I am sure he is not eating enough even though he seems to eat non stop. He is on a somewhat restricted diet (low sodium) because he is hypertensive. Some people say protein shakes but not sure.

Thanks
    Michelle
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out your TDEE and eat 10-20% above that. You may also want to cut back on the cardio a bit as that is counter-intuitive to putting on muscle since it burns calories. If you're going to do cardio, make sure to eat those calories back as well as eating over your TDEE. Aim for a .5-1 pound gain a week as a place to start. Eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM.
  • thescrumisfun
    thescrumisfun Posts: 355
    Options
    Thanks! I have to do cardio training because of rugby - my coach would definitely not be happy with me if I stopped. She is huge on fitness. The cardio I will be doing is going to be short bursts, like sprinting. Thanks for the advice :).
  • sseangirish
    Options
    Red meat, less cardio, compound lifts, Dont just go 5*5 go heavier pyramid, change rep scheme each week, and supplement with a multivitamin glutamine and whey protein.
  • sseangirish
    Options
    That boy needs to just eat everything. Stay active. Lift heavy
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Guys I have to do some cardio - I run around hitting people for 80 minutes...
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Genetics? Rugby players are basically Greek Gods.

Eat more. Lift heavy. Get plenty of sleep.

Whoops... you're female... meant Goddess!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Haha I'm *hoping* my genetics are incredible - but they're probably just average :laugh:
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    That boy needs to just eat everything. Stay active. Lift heavy

Due to renal issues and being hypertensive he is on a sodium restricted diet. I am actually afraid he is not getting enough calories. He eats a lot and I am going to the grocery store and getting more lean protein.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Realistic muscle gains for a female are about .5-1lb of muscle per month.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Yeah, obviously cardio is very important for a rugby player. But you don't have to do tons of steady state endurance cardio. Try and focus on conditioning work like HIIT for your the majority of your cardio. If you want to pack on muscle as fast as possible then consider reducing your steady state endurance work temporarily.

In regard to building muscle, stronglifts is a great program. Charle's poliquin's website has a ton of great articles on building muscle and power in elite athletes. Also, make sure you get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass though, otherwise your muscle building will be sub-optimal.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options

Yeah, obviously cardio is very important for a rugby player. But you don't have to do tons of steady state endurance cardio. Try and focus on conditioning work like HIIT for your the majority of your cardio. If you want to pack on muscle as fast as possible then consider reducing your steady state endurance work temporarily.

In regard to building muscle, stronglifts is a great program. Charle's poliquin's website has a ton of great articles on building muscle and power in elite athletes. Also, make sure you get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass though, otherwise your muscle building will be sub-optimal.

Most of my cardio will be sprints with recovery; I'm miserable at steady state endurance....so miserable. Haha.