Does losing weight=looking younger?

Options
I was wondering if anyone thinks that weight loss helps one look younger? I heard somebody say this and would like to know what people think?

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person really. For my husband and I, yes.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It depends. I've seen many before / after pics where the person looks much younger when they lose weight. Once you get older though, weight loss can make your face look older.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Depends. When I weighed more, I didn't take care of my looks...it wasn't that I didn't have the desire, it was just too discouraging to see myself in a mirror. As I got thinner, I began to take better care of my appearance (better haircut, nicer clothes.) So, I looked "younger" but I looked more professional/polished so I also looked more "mature" (but in the best way.)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    YES

0 Comments

Print

Jun 14, 2011 | By Michelle Martin

Photo Credit Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
    As people age, they often gain weight. Extra weight can show your age, as it is a visible sign of your slowing metabolism. Counteract the aging effect of extra weight by losing extra weight slowly and exercising to tone your muscles. Just don't lose too much weight, or you may have additional wrinkles to contend with.

Factors

Whether you look younger after losing unwanted pounds depends on a number of factors. If you are over 40, losing too much weight can give you a gaunt look that makes you appear older, while keeping a few extra pounds around can lead to a more youthful appearance. On the other hand, if you are significantly overweight, losing weight in a healthy manner can give you a youthful, toned silhouette.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Bariatric Surgery Americas Leader In Gastric Bypass Surgery, Get a Consultation Today www.BarixClinics.com

Your Face

When it comes to your face, there are pros and cons to losing weight. If you carry a significant amount of excess weight, you may have noticed that your eyes appear smaller and your jawline less defined. Losing weight will widen your eyes and sharpen your profile. The downside of losing weight is that wrinkles can become more noticeable once they're not plumped up with extra fat. A natural effect of aging is the gradual disappearance of fat pads under the eyes -- without them, eyes can appear older.

Lose Weight Slowly

The manner in which you lose weight can affect your appearance significantly. If you have a large amount of weight to lose, and lose it rapidly, you may end up with excess skin. This can give you an untoned, wrinkly appearance. Many people who lose in excess of 100 lbs. choose to have surgery to remove excess skin, which restores their youthful appearance. Lose weight at a slow rate of 1 lb. a week to minimize your chances of developing loose skin.

Exercise

As you age, you lose muscle tone. One of the best ways to lose weight and stimulate a youthful appearance is to exercise. Lift weights to tone muscles and engage in vigorous activities to give your skin a youthful glow. Exercise can do more than give your body a more youthful appearance -- it has an anti-aging effect on the brain. It also influences how you see yourself. Getting out and doing an activity such as mountain biking or canoeing can help you to feel youthful. While there's truth to the saying, "If you don't look good, you don't feel good," the reverse is also true. Feeling good may be the best elixir for youthful looks that exists.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/420401-does-losing-weight-make-you-look-younger/#ixzz2SesDm2Nm
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    It just depends on the person. I look much younger now (I started when I was 14 and according to my sister, i looked about 20... Im 18 now and look 16ish)
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    for many, yes. my friend lost about 90lbs and is wear, he looks like he's 19!
  • iiwish
    iiwish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been told that I look more mature now, but I'm young to begin with. I'm 22 and I've always had a chubby face but now it's thinning out. I guess it depends where you are in life
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It depends... some people lose their baby face look, but generally I find if people lose weight healthfully, they at least act more youthful regardless if they look younger or not.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    God I hope not, I get pegged for 17 already.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This is what I noticed my friends who didn't lose weight naturally meaning they used pills and lost weight FAST I think they look very old suddenly. Those who worked out and did it correctly slow and steady look younger. I am not sure if it is because of the meds they took but it is odd to me how three of them suddenly look old.
  • SmallestGoal
    SmallestGoal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I (age 22) look younger when I lose weight. I pass for a high schooler at my lower weights (BMI 18 vs looking more mature at BMI 23ish).

My mother (age 50) looks older, as the weight loss (BMI 22 vs 30ish) makes her wrinkles more evident in her face, I guess? But the difference in her energy and fitness means that even if a snapshot of her face doesn't look younger, she /seems/ it. :D
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it depends too. I def look younger now that i've lost a bunch of weight. I was told recently, that i looked no older then 18....I just turned 29. Before, people would say i was in my mid to late 30s.
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I look older because the fat is no longer puffing up my wrinkles, but I don't mind.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    it did for my mom! and I think it did me too but idk lol
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Where you lose the weight matters.

If you lose too much fat from your face, it will show more age.
    You can't really control that, but for the most part, people I know look MUCH BETTER as they get in shape.

Honestly at this point, I really want a fit body. Aging is something I'll have to deal with anyway, so I don't mind if I look a little older.
    :wink:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I think being overweight or obese makes us look OLDER. So losing the weight will put you looking at the age of where you are....but also depends upon lifestyle, genetics and how you take care of yourself.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think it does in general because usually younger people are in general more thin. But I have seen exceptions to this rule. I already think I look younger than 40 so will losing weight make me look even younger? Maybe a bit ...
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    yep....at 315lbs i looked like a 45 year old woman...

now, well...i can pass for late 20's...which is not bad since im 32!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I look younger but I am also happier so that may be part of it!
  • Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is different for everyone!!! For me, I think my face looks a little older the more that I lose...I've always had chubby cheeks, and now that my face is thinning down I am getting smile lines (I am NOT going to call them wrinkles!!?!? haha) But the rest of my body is becoming more toned, and to me, a toned body looks a lot younger than a flabby one!