Does losing weight=looking younger?

Options

Replies

• GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    At my high school reunion three years ago, it was commented I looked great because I didn't have any wrinkles. Now... 60+lbs lighter, I have wrinkles on my face, especially when I smile. I've noticed this in others as well. But I'll take the wrinkles if they come with a slimmer body. ^___^
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It has made me look younger...and I did worry about my face being drawn.
    Most importantly, you FEEL younger!
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think it definately can make you look younger - in most cases, especially if the body is fit and toned. Of course with ageing, losing weight can be very aging to the actual face - which is a damn shame - but worth it in my mind!

I think it aged me a little. But I am living with that. I can see my wrinkles more but my face isn't puffy like it once was, and I of course am much happier.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    not for me, i found losing weight made me look older, lost fat in fat = more saggy skin :sad:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    People tell me I look younger

12045982_9701.jpg
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think that paying attention to nutrition (because of all the phyto-nutrients in whole foods) and losing it slowly, will make you look younger. In my case, everyone says that I look twenty years younger than my age--but I am exercising now and I wasn't before. I think the combined effect of good nutrition and exercise do wonders for you appearance. One of my friends asked me if I had had a face lift and said, "You absolutely glow." I think it is likely that the increased circulation from the exercise, transports the good nutrients into the cells more completely. That's my theory at least. :wink:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you lift and increase muscle tone, you can always enjoy the "lamb from the back, mutton from the front" look. It's better than "mutton galore".
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. All my fat friends who are younger than me, look older than me.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone thinks that weight loss helps one look younger? I heard somebody say this and would like to know what people think?

Depends on age, amount of weight lost, amount of exercise, the pace of the weight-loss. The older you are, fatter you are, the faster you lose and if you don't exercise the more skin is going to be loose. Loose = wrinkly. I personally will need to have surgery to remove excess skin and tissue after I lose it because I'm soooo overweight but I've lost over 70 lbs and my skin is bouncing back better than I ever imagined because I was going by what I have witnessed of other people but I exercise more than any of those people and I didn't have surgery so, I didn't lose it as fast as them.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    yes, when I was a size 20 people thought I looked like I was in my early 30's, now I'm a size 12 and people think I look like I'm in my early 20's. I'm really 28, and was asked by a guy at my work place if I was turning 21, I laughed and told I'm my real age and he was shocked! Lmao
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    For me it does. At my biggest I looked like I was in my 30s, and I was 20 years old. Now I look my age or younger -- I'm 26 now.
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    I think it depends too. I def look younger now that i've lost a bunch of weight. I was told recently, that i looked no older then 18....I just turned 29. Before, people would say i was in my mid to late 30s.

I'm 28 so that's the reaction I hope I get:)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I think as I lose weight I look like a slimmer 40+ year old guy is all.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it does--sometimes it doesn't. I find that anorexic people often look older than they are. When I was a child, one of my grandmother's friends was always on a diet and was severely emaciated. The woman ate very little--was probably anorexic. I thought she looked VERY old and she was probably about the same age as my grandmother--50ish at the time.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    you can look at my pic and let me know. I'm 45. in my heaviest pic I'm 196 in the pic in my profile i'm 122
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    For me, losing weight has made me look slightly older. I still get confused for a 21 year old though. (Age 26)
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This doesn't apply to everyone, but I think for younger people that are overweight, extra weight makes them look older than they are, so the weight loss makes them look younger. For older people who are overweight, weight loss seems to make them look older.

Example - My aunt and uncle each lost about 75lbs, well they are in their mid 50's. When I saw them, they looked closer to 70. Their faces were so wrinkly, probably from being bloated adn stretched out for so many years.

Obviously this isn't the case for everyone.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Tricep_A_Tops Posts: 319
    Options
    I think I look 10 years younger after losing my weight. People are always shocked on here when they see that im 43.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    People tell me I look younger

12045982_9701.jpg

Wow, yes by about 10 years I would say. You look amazing!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone thinks that weight loss helps one look younger? I heard somebody say this and would like to know what people think?

I think getting physically fit makes one look younger more than just weight loss. If you have good posture, good muscle tone, good flexibility, you will look younger than those that have lost these things as they age. Just being thin won't accomplish that. It requires exercise.