Nursing Question

Options
Hello!!! I am new to My Fitness Pal and I've been training for a half marathon in June (running between 12-20 miles per week), and I'm also nursing my daughter.

I noticed last month that I stopped losing weight and figured that I'm probably eating too few calories, so someone recommended for me to track them and that's how I got here, but I can't figure out how to add nursing/breastfeeding to my caloric requirement (if that makes sense).

Can this be done on MFP or is it not "allowed"?

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• ladykc013
    ladykc013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You add it the food section! Just search 'breastfeeding' and it will give you options based on how often your little one nurses. HTH!
  • Pilar80
    Pilar80 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks!!! That worked!!! :-)
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you search the groups, there are some for breastfeeding moms. I stopped nursing in March - but found the groups helpful as I tried to keep supply up, stay active, and lose weight.

A couple general tips - keep your cals up. Women typically hear, don't net under 1200. When you are breastfeeding, make that 1800. Then, eat back any exercise cals. You will likely still lose weight. If not slowly adjust down. 100 cals at a time - try it out for a couple weeks before decreasing more.

Second, don't be overly concerned if you are a few pounds over goal weight (5-10lbs). Most women hold on to extra fluids when breastfeeding. In the week I stopped breastfeeding, I lost 7lbs on a calorie deficit that should have had me losing 1lb.

Best of luck with the half marathon!