What do you do to not overeat at night??

Hello everyone :)
I've been trying to eat less and have begun to walk on my treadmill.. (gonna keep to walking since I haven't done much exercise in a long while..)
During the day I eat exactly what I"m gonna eat plus a full water bottle. I have no problem not eating anything more during the DAY.
But then comes dinner..... Ugh.
I keep giving into what my families eating!! I don't have the willpower to say no. I keep telling myself I'm not gonna eat it, that it's not worth it... But that's obviously not working. I don't know how to stop this.

Do you guys have this problem? If so, how do you resist temptation? Any advise? Tips? Any input whatsoever??

I'll be forever thankful!!! :)

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Do you something separate from everyone?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Eat what they eat, but eat half of it with a side of veggies? I don't really know what your family is eating. For all I know it could be fairly healthy.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Feed them all healthy stuff...crisis averted
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Are you really having to say "no" or are you serving yourself what others are having? If you are having food pushed at you, you need to have a firm conversation with your family about why weight control is important. If you are serving yourself, you have to develop that will power and make it important. I wish there was an easy answer. There isn't. Sometime you have to do hard stuff for good things to happen. It's worth it.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    I have to get up super early so i just go to bed. (This is after my meal, so I dont overeat on snacks)

ETA: I should learn to read better lol. I just make the same meal for everyone. I don't make anything no one else would eat. I just buy leaner cuts of meat, lots of veggies, and balance it out with a starch they all like. For myself, I just weigh out my own portions and it fits right into my day.
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Can you make yourself a low cal version if what they are having?
    Ask them to support you to make healthy choices at night.
    It's a tricky situation but if you can find a solution you'll have fantastic results.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    I didn't try looking at your diary, but you could be doing what I was doing...I wouldn't eat enough during the day and feel fine...but then it'd catch up to me by dinner, and I'd want to eat everything!! This was a regular occurrence for me for, like, 1-2 years. I've found that upping my proportion of protein and fat, especially for breakfast and lunch, really helps me feel okay later in the day. That, and I've made a "no eating past 9:30pm" rule. =)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    I skip breakfast and lunch so I can eat a bigger meal during social settings at night.
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    I dunno about you, but I eat a ton for breakfast and lunch, this keeps me full the rest of the day.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Meal planning and pre portions seem to work for me.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    when you've reached your calorie/food eating goal. take your plate and put it in the kitchen sink. or chuck a dirty napkin on your plate or something like that.

*edited to add - as long as your not going over your macros. then just enjoy the food. remember its got to be sustainable.
  • MOODYPD
    MOODYPD Posts: 10
    "If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results."
    - Jack Dixon

I'm not sure of your daily schedule, but I wouldn't advise eating later than 8pm if possible. I personally find it very helpful to set aside a daily routine for myslef in order to eat at a decent time and exercise before bedtime. I normally exercise an hour or two before bedtime and for some reason I always feel like I'm burning more calories during my sleep (not to mention I sleep better too). If you're doing the cooking then fix things that are healthy and that your family will enjoy also. If this isn't the case just do what I do and fix yourself something good and healthy to eat. If your main problem is not knowing when to stop eating then I suggest you drink an 8oz glass of water prior to eating in order to help you feel full once you start eating. I hope this helps a bit!! Good luck and hang in there!!
  • I'm someone who has always struggled with stuffing my face at night......but when I eat proper all day, with plenty of protein, complex carbs & fibre every 2-4 hours, I am satisfied and don"t binge at night. It takes discipline for me to eat breaky - but makes a real difference!!!!
  • amandadawson24
    amandadawson24 Posts: 11 Member
    When I want a treat, I ask myself some of these questions

I am actually hungry or does eating a treat just sound nice?

Am I actually thirsty, not hungry?

Do I really need to eat this?

Will eating this help me to feel more full or satisfied?

How has the rest of my day been (exercise/food wise)?

Sometimes I will indulge a little. It just depends. It's not to say that I don't succumb to snacking every now and then, but I just try to make better choices than I would if I weren't tracking.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    eat a large dinner
    have fruit and 100 cal snack packs and other healthy snacks on hand
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    how about portion control, have you tried that. what I mean, and not sarcastically, just having smaller portions then everyone else. for example - my family does a simple roasted chicken but to that they add a ton of different sides like mixed vegetables, coleslaw, potato salad, hummus, rice, sauteed vegetables, etc. If I find I cant stick to the chicken and taking the skin and a side of veggie or my own salad I just take the other sides and have a tablespoon of each thing. its a pain in the *kitten* to log but at least I feel included in the meal and not left out. good luck, im sure you'll figure it out :happy:
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    i try to have a large glass of water before eating and then have a salad. THEN i eat whatever the meal is in a small-ish portion. Then have another large glass of water! at that point, im usually pretty full.

however, sometimes late at night i get major munchies. i find it helpful to have snacks at the ready! you can get super healthy popcorn for about 15 calories a cup (pretty harmless, i'd say). or a serving of chocolate chips is 70 calories. you see what i mean. it's never fun to say "oh i cant have that" so eat things in moderation and ALWAYS have things on hand that are a sensible and will satisfy a munchie craving.

:) hope this helps a little!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Leave some calories for night time. Then you can fit the food in your goals and you will be fine.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I use leaner cuts of meat and try to make family favourites in a more healthy manner. I also tend to save more of my calories for the evening because that tends to be when I'm most hungry.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    I skip breakfast and lunch so I can eat a bigger meal during social settings at night.

joking, right?