What do you do to not overeat at night??

Options
Hello everyone :)
I've been trying to eat less and have begun to walk on my treadmill.. (gonna keep to walking since I haven't done much exercise in a long while..)
During the day I eat exactly what I"m gonna eat plus a full water bottle. I have no problem not eating anything more during the DAY.
But then comes dinner..... Ugh.
I keep giving into what my families eating!! I don't have the willpower to say no. I keep telling myself I'm not gonna eat it, that it's not worth it... But that's obviously not working. I don't know how to stop this.

Do you guys have this problem? If so, how do you resist temptation? Any advise? Tips? Any input whatsoever??

I'll be forever thankful!!! :)

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Do you something separate from everyone?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat what they eat, but eat half of it with a side of veggies? I don't really know what your family is eating. For all I know it could be fairly healthy.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Feed them all healthy stuff...crisis averted
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Are you really having to say "no" or are you serving yourself what others are having? If you are having food pushed at you, you need to have a firm conversation with your family about why weight control is important. If you are serving yourself, you have to develop that will power and make it important. I wish there was an easy answer. There isn't. Sometime you have to do hard stuff for good things to happen. It's worth it.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have to get up super early so i just go to bed. (This is after my meal, so I dont overeat on snacks)

ETA: I should learn to read better lol. I just make the same meal for everyone. I don't make anything no one else would eat. I just buy leaner cuts of meat, lots of veggies, and balance it out with a starch they all like. For myself, I just weigh out my own portions and it fits right into my day.
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can you make yourself a low cal version if what they are having?
    Ask them to support you to make healthy choices at night.
    It's a tricky situation but if you can find a solution you'll have fantastic results.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I didn't try looking at your diary, but you could be doing what I was doing...I wouldn't eat enough during the day and feel fine...but then it'd catch up to me by dinner, and I'd want to eat everything!! This was a regular occurrence for me for, like, 1-2 years. I've found that upping my proportion of protein and fat, especially for breakfast and lunch, really helps me feel okay later in the day. That, and I've made a "no eating past 9:30pm" rule. =)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and lunch so I can eat a bigger meal during social settings at night.
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I dunno about you, but I eat a ton for breakfast and lunch, this keeps me full the rest of the day.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Meal planning and pre portions seem to work for me.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    when you've reached your calorie/food eating goal. take your plate and put it in the kitchen sink. or chuck a dirty napkin on your plate or something like that.

*edited to add - as long as your not going over your macros. then just enjoy the food. remember its got to be sustainable.
  • MOODYPD
    MOODYPD Posts: 10
    Options
    "If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results."
    - Jack Dixon

I'm not sure of your daily schedule, but I wouldn't advise eating later than 8pm if possible. I personally find it very helpful to set aside a daily routine for myslef in order to eat at a decent time and exercise before bedtime. I normally exercise an hour or two before bedtime and for some reason I always feel like I'm burning more calories during my sleep (not to mention I sleep better too). If you're doing the cooking then fix things that are healthy and that your family will enjoy also. If this isn't the case just do what I do and fix yourself something good and healthy to eat. If your main problem is not knowing when to stop eating then I suggest you drink an 8oz glass of water prior to eating in order to help you feel full once you start eating. I hope this helps a bit!! Good luck and hang in there!!
  • naomijoyful
    Options
    I'm someone who has always struggled with stuffing my face at night......but when I eat proper all day, with plenty of protein, complex carbs & fibre every 2-4 hours, I am satisfied and don"t binge at night. It takes discipline for me to eat breaky - but makes a real difference!!!!
  • amandadawson24
    amandadawson24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I want a treat, I ask myself some of these questions

I am actually hungry or does eating a treat just sound nice?

Am I actually thirsty, not hungry?

Do I really need to eat this?

Will eating this help me to feel more full or satisfied?

How has the rest of my day been (exercise/food wise)?

Sometimes I will indulge a little. It just depends. It's not to say that I don't succumb to snacking every now and then, but I just try to make better choices than I would if I weren't tracking.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    eat a large dinner
    have fruit and 100 cal snack packs and other healthy snacks on hand
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    how about portion control, have you tried that. what I mean, and not sarcastically, just having smaller portions then everyone else. for example - my family does a simple roasted chicken but to that they add a ton of different sides like mixed vegetables, coleslaw, potato salad, hummus, rice, sauteed vegetables, etc. If I find I cant stick to the chicken and taking the skin and a side of veggie or my own salad I just take the other sides and have a tablespoon of each thing. its a pain in the *kitten* to log but at least I feel included in the meal and not left out. good luck, im sure you'll figure it out :happy:
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Leave some calories for night time. Then you can fit the food in your goals and you will be fine.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i try to have a large glass of water before eating and then have a salad. THEN i eat whatever the meal is in a small-ish portion. Then have another large glass of water! at that point, im usually pretty full.

however, sometimes late at night i get major munchies. i find it helpful to have snacks at the ready! you can get super healthy popcorn for about 15 calories a cup (pretty harmless, i'd say). or a serving of chocolate chips is 70 calories. you see what i mean. it's never fun to say "oh i cant have that" so eat things in moderation and ALWAYS have things on hand that are a sensible and will satisfy a munchie craving.

:) hope this helps a little!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I use leaner cuts of meat and try to make family favourites in a more healthy manner. I also tend to save more of my calories for the evening because that tends to be when I'm most hungry.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and lunch so I can eat a bigger meal during social settings at night.

joking, right?