staying full between meals

Options
This morning at 6am I had a breakfast shake as I find it hard to do breakfast but come 9-10am I'm starving so had a portion of raspberries but feel hungry again. Can you recommend any foods which can help sustain a full feeling as it's these times I'm prone to grabbing something unhealthy!

Replies

• nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein to your meals and snacks. Not sure what your breakfast shake was but I find I can't drink my calories.
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    Options
    Eat your food, don't drink it.
    Make sure you get a good amount of protein at breakfast (I usually get around 30-40g) as well as some fat (10-15g).
    Eggs, greek yogurt with fruit, bacon, oatmeal with protein powder and nut butters - the loads and loads of options
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? How much do you aim to eat daily? I know for me lifting makes me HUNGRY ALL DAY!

To be honest I'm a snacker so 3 meals a day DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I also aim to drink 2 glasses of water before i determine Im truley hungry. I do breakfast and 1-2hrs later a snack and then maybe 3-4hrs later lunch then a snack and then dinner and if Im still hungry a protein shake. I graze all day and i eat a lot of protein.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Why not have your breakfast when you feel hungry? I rarely eat before 2-3 hours after I'm awake as I can't eat that early and I prefer to workout fasted.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    carrots. just have a large carrot. honestly, problem solved.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Why not have your breakfast when you feel hungry? I rarely eat before 2-3 hours after I'm awake as I can't eat that early and I prefer to workout fasted.

man makes a good point.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I try to eat my brekkie as late possible before I head to work, usually 7am-ish and I know that I don't get morning tea until 11:10 so I try to have a shake or something else small but filling at about 8:30 - 9 am like almonds or cashews before I begin work - otherwise I have a super filling brekkie with oats, protein powder, unsweetened almond milk and a banana for a sugar hit too to get me through to 11am.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This. No need to eat breakfast if you're not hungry. Also, skip the shake and opt for whole foods. Far more filling.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there are a few different ways of eating that work for different people.

some people prefer to have 6 small meals through out the day. this can help because some people are grazers, and like to much on something every few hours. if thats you, do that.

others prefer to sit down and have there three meals and thats it. if this is you, make sure you are eating enough at your meals.

personally, i like to feel really satisfied after a meal. i don't like to feel "oh, i'm still kinda hungry." so i tend to eat much bigger meals.

and because i like really big meals, some times i'll skip breakfast to have even more calories though out the day.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

man makes a good point.

I'm not a man!! :sad:
  • jayuk20
    jayuk20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's a good help. My calorie goal is 1560 and thought about upping my protein without raising my calories too much as dinner for me is always the most important i tend to eat most of my calories then.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If I feel hungry in between meals I try having a coffee or cup of tea and a piece of fruit will tide me over until the next meal.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    plan for healthy snacks between meals, that's what I do , having apple and flax seed bar as Im typing this :wink:
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1888. You are only eating 1560 and you are hungry. If you eat more food, it will fuel your workouts and you won't be so hungry.
    I used 204 lbs as your weight and 1.3 as your activity level.
    If you weigh more than that, your Maintenance Calories will be higher.

"Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR MEN)" BMR 1,888
    Maintenance 2,455
    Cut (@ 15%) 2,086
    Cut (@ 20%) 1,964
    Build (@ 15%) 2,823
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe that we MUST have breakfast. If you are not hungry, thee is no need to eat. Most of us have a meal time that we are most ravenous at, it's best to save your calories for that one. I eat a 300 calories breakfast, and a 300 calorie lunch with a handful of almonds or walnuts for a snack. In the afternoon, I drink water and maybe have some cheese and a banana. For dinner, I eat a good meal, maybe 3 cups of veggies and 4-6 oz of meat, fish or chicken.

My wife is the opposite, she wakes up very hungry and looks forward to a big breakfast and could care less if she eats dinner.

Staying full is helped by eating a balance of protein and veggies or fruit (fiber) and low fat dairy.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to experiment. Depending on what your "breakfast shake" is, it could be a lot of sugar and not much protein, which won't keep you full. I will go against what a few other people said, and tell you that I have found I stay full longer when I have a protein shake in place of a food breakfast. I'm guessing it's because my meals tend to be much lower in protein. I also find that it gives me more calories for later when I really want them. (It's also a lot quicker to mix up a shake than to cook breakfast.)

So, anyway, just try a few things, keep notes in your food diary of how you felt, hunger wise, and then keep doing what works best.
  • nikilis
    Options

man makes a good point.

I'm not a man!! :sad:

oh darlin, my bad! I didn't look closely at the pic! xoxo
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    are you eating your calories?

personally, drinking my calories doesn't do it for me but some people can't have breakfast so i get that.

that said, why not have breakfast when you get hungry? a shake is a "snack" IMO and you need food to fuel your body. include proteins and healthy carbs into your meals, along with some healthy fats. don't be afraid to eat your calories if you are eating clean!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein. I try to have at least a little protein at every "meal" whether it's breakfast, lunch, dinner, or any inbetween snacks to help keep me feeling full. I can't stand that ravenously hungry feeling either.
  • jstammich
    jstammich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think eating every 2-3 hours is better because it keeps your metabolism working which, as I understand it, causes your body to burn calories even when you're not working out. I eat small "meals" (that's what I call them) every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism up. I am also working out twice a day doing strength training and cardio. Therefore, I feel like I get hungry more frequently. Planning for and eating a small, healthy "meal" with a decent amount of protein every 2-3 hours prevents me from grabbing unhealthy snacks when I'm hungry. I carry a big cooler from Walmart (over-the-shoulder) to work every day that contains ice packs and my food for the whole day. Then, I have no excuse to hit the vending machine or drive-though. However, this may not work for everyone. I'm just sharing what has worked for me.