Dairy

Options
heywithers
heywithers Posts: 99 Member
I'm new to eating healthy and I was wondering if someone who has studied nutrition can answer this for me :)

I hear conflicting things about dairy.. some say it's bad some say its good for you
I am wanting to lose weight and I usually drink half a cup of milk a day and a stick of string cheese a day and there might be dairy hidden in other products i eat also not sure.

Is consuming a small amount of cheese and milk every day hindering my weight loss at all?

And a separate question: if I should consume dairy does it need to be full fat? All my dairy I have in my fridge is low fat or 0%

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I don't have any studies to back this up, but I do have my own personal experience.
    I haven't cut milk or cheese out of my diet (I did switch to a low fat milk though and I try to stay away from high calorie cheeses, I use a lot more mozzarella now than I ever did before) and I have been very successful so far.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've read several times that low-fat dairy can actually help you to lose weight. I have no idea if its true, but there are plenty of successful dieters who consume plenty of dairy.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    the problem with low-fat dairy and is that it usually contains other unnatural products so be cautious and label read. also the fat being cut out is GOOD FAT! Youre better off eating a smaller portion of reg fat that dairy.

and dairy can cause bloating in a lot of people and the bigger issue the recommended dairy intake is wayyyy too high. I wouldnt necessarily completely cut dairy out but i would limit dairy intake.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love dairy and consume probably more than I should everyday. Plus, the protein in it helps me meet my protein goals for the day. From a "whole foods" perspective full fat is the way to go, but for me I am opting for low fat while I'm losing weight, and will transition to full fat once I'm in maintenance.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My husband, which is someone who researches the heck out of things before he makes claims, told me that full fat items are better for you than low fat or no fat ones. Not only for the fact they add sugar and chemicals to them but to eat full fat for the health benefits. Also animal fat and butter is better for you than fats such as crisco and hydrogenated oils.

I guess there was a study that tracked heart problems and cancer in America for the last 100 or so years. When crisco and hydrogenated oils were introduced there was a major rise in cancer and heart issues. Just like with everything, if you overly process something and or add chemicals you run the risks of it having adverse effects. Just like with gluten products, it was unheard of 100 years ago but now they are saying between 30-50% of the population has some sort of gluten intolerance. I believe its because there are different strains and it has been so modified so much its not even close to the same product our ancestors ate.
    See my other post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Dauntlessness/view/gluten-sensitivity-do-you-have-it-517834

Apparently saturated fat is not as bad for you as we once thought. You need it for healthy brain function. I don't have a whole lot of time to write any more. I have some stuff to do today but do some research for yourself. You'll be surprised. My thoughts: Some lard (be careful with it as its still high in sat fat), real butter, olive oil and full fat milk if you can. My husband has a high BP(even though we used to drink skim milk and 1% for years) so we do 2% but we both really want whole.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This will undoubtedly turn into a 12 page debate featuring some MFP's finest study and link finders as your going to see many studies with conflicting evidence. All I'm going to say is that I've lost 60lbs drinking dairy, getting regular exercise, and staying in a calorie deficit. As long your not lactose intolerant or have are allergic to dairy I say go for it.

As for whether it's full fat, low fat, or non fat that's entirely up to you. If you need more fat in your diet then drink full fat.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm no scientist but I've been on 5:2 fasting for 2 years and am maintaining a weight I'm very happy with (129 lbs., 5'7"). On my fast days I have 8 oz. of Greek yogurt, nonfat, a brand with nothing in it but milk and yogurt cultures. I add honey to it. String cheese is a favorite snack on road trips when all the other stuff in the Mini-Mart at the gas stops is pure crap. It doesn't seem to have hurt.

I think that total calorie intake, and generally keeping it healthy, is more important than specific components.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a lactose intolerance, there is nothing wrong with dairy, but these threads usually result in heated debates.

Either way, eating dairy will not make you fat. Eating more calories than they burn is what makes people fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    At least no-one has made the "cow's milk is for baby cows" comment yet but I bet it won't be long now... :smile:

I would add that string cheese is for baby humans though - eat real cheese!!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I eat a half cup of reduced fat cheese (full fat seems to upset my stomach for some reason) and a tsp of peanut butter with my vitamins to help absorb the fat soluble vitamins.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed recently and ever since I'm massively put off cheese when i used to love it. Instead of hard cheese i sometimes have light cottage cheese. I wouldn't want cut dairy out as it has huge health benefits. With milk i drink skimmed, skimmed milk has higher quantities of omegas and other nutrients than higher fat milk. Fats are essential as long as they're the right ones.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have never studied nutrition but I had to cut out dairy due to breastfeeding my dairy and soya allergic baby. I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months just cutting out diary. When we finished breastfeeding, I started eating dairy again and gained 40 pounds! I wasn't a member here back then nor was I working on getting healthy.

Now I just eat dairy in moderation and I always stay within my calorie goals and I don't eat alot of fat so my diary doesn't hurt me. I enjoy my cheese and my pizza. I have lost 94 pounds in about 9 months.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    This will undoubtedly turn into a 12 page debate featuring some MFP's finest study and link finders as your going to see many studies with conflicting evidence. All I'm going to say is that I've lost 60lbs drinking dairy, getting regular exercise, and staying in a calorie deficit. As long your not lactose intolerant or have are allergic to dairy I say go for it.

As for whether it's full fat, low fat, or non fat that's entirely up to you. If you need more fat in your diet then drink full fat.

^This. I have lost a fair amount of weight also and I eat dairy every day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    First of all you do not need dairy, that is a fact.

If you want to have it go for it if it doesn't make you sick. But it probably won't hinder weightloss unless you eat a lot because its high in fat.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I will quit dairy when someone takes it out of my cold dead hands.

I lost all of my weight drinking milk, and eating yogurt and cheese (the latter often on pizza). Focus on basic nutrition and portion control, and ignore the never-ending tsunami of claims about this food or that being bad for you.
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a lactose intolerance, there is nothing wrong with dairy, but these threads usually result in heated debates.

Either way, eating dairy will not make you fat. Eating more calories than they burn is what makes people fat.

This is all you need to know.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    ...in before someone says dairy and chemicals in our food are bad but said person had artificially flavored whey protein in their diary.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    As has been previously said forget the fat is bad myth. Only unnatural fats are bad.

I eat a high fat diet and have lost weight with ease. 3 years of low fat did nothing. The fat we eat has absolutely nothing to do with the fat we store (unless you eat tons of refined carbs / sugars too in which case this fat is stored as its not used up - in layman terms).

Eat dairy and enjoy it. Full fat is always best.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I eat a greek yogurt every day (mostly low fat but I'll throw in a full fat yogurt once a week or so), I have a light string cheese most days, and I always put cream or skim milk in my coffee. I reached my goal weight eating these things. It's not so much as one particular type of food that would hinder weight loss; it's eating too much food in general.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

This is all you need to know.
    Agreed.