Stuck...Should I be eating more calories?

Options
Hi,

I know this is a frequent question but I have gone and really confused myself, I'm 25, weighing about 12st 3lbs but I seem to be stuck between 12st 1lb and 12st 4lbs, I am 5ft 7inch approx, and my body fat is 35.8% if I have used a good online calculator. Using http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ I have also worked out form my exercise which is next to none (although I am on day 6 of Jillian Michaels 30day shred) It looks like I should be eating 1700 odd calories, but I have been only really eating 1480 calories?

Which should I be eating? I just bought a wedding dress that fits me but still could do with losing a bit off my back so I don't have a bit of an over hang. I have 9 month to fit in it or even have it taken in which would be nice lol but I am terrified of eating more only to put weight on again after I have already lost nearly 1st 7lbs. I just seem to have come to a stand still..

Can any one give me a correct answer?? Thanks. xx

Replies

• Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I would go with the 1700+ cals and don't eat back exercise cals....try it for a few weeks and see what happens?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your exercise when you do it and eating back the calories?

If you are, what is your gross caloric intake on days you exercise?

I'm the same height as you, weigh less and have been eating less calories and continuously losing weight. I doubt the problem is that you need to increase calories. Are you weighing all your food? How long has it been since you lost weight? I've gone up to two weeks before without losing weight and then had a large loss the following week.

In all likelihood, you should be able to lose weight at either calorie level but it will depend largely on accurate tracking.

JMO
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your stats and workout routine, I would suggest 1750 calories (total, do not eat back exercise calories with this method). Also, i would put macro's around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. JM isn't a huge calorie burner so it makes a person lightly active instead of moderate. BTW, you can't gain new fat until you exceed 2100 calories (your approximate daily TDEE).
  • movienutty
    movienutty Posts: 13
    Options
    I like to shock my body. I eat healthy 6 days/week and then have a cheat day. Sometimes your body goes on starvation mode and keeps all your body fat to help you survive. Also, you should more calories than your program suggested if you are exercising.

In my cheat day, I dont over do it though, I dont eat a large pizza all by myself, but if I have taste for a pizza I eat a couple of pieces, etc.

Good Luck:smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful with the wedding dress part-- I lost about 20 lbs in between buying my wedding dress and the day of my wedding, and it turned out that they couldn't make it look right. The alterations were just too much for the dress and it looked pretty terrible on me.

That said, I'd go for a very small deficit and start lifting weights if you don't already.
  • astorin
    astorin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you only using the scale to track your progress? if you are, change that. If you don't already own one, go buy a tape measure and start tracking your measurements for waist, hips, bust, upper arm and thigh. Jillian's shred is going to help you build muscle, and a pound of muscle, while still a pound, is denser so it takes up less space on your bod - in other words you get smaller, though not necessarily lighter.
    I think you should stick with your current calorie intake. The only thing I would advise changing in your calories is when you are eating, Be sure you get a big dose of protein within 45 min of finishing your workout to feed your muscles. I have found that for me, though MFP said I should be eating close to 1700 a day, I am actually better off and feel less bloated/over-stuffed at between 1300-1400. Dr H advised me to not go below 1300 EVER, and not to go over 1700, but to stay closer to the bottom of my range unless I was actually physically hungry. If you are physically still hungry after your 1480 calories, eat more, if not, don't. Hope this helps.
  • alisajade88
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I can't believe how quick you all replied. I think I may meet the advice in the middle and perhaps up the intake to 1600 and not eat back work out calories and see how I go for a couple weeks.

as to the wedding dress thing its a lace up back and I think I was pushing the back almost to the max and they said they can take it in if I lost a bit more weight. I would be happy making it too my pre pregnancy weight of 11st, 7lb, but I really could do with losing an inch or so of my back if not anything else to be able to fit perfect in it. but I have time yet.

I managed to loose the initial stone in two weeks just by changing my food intake.. I loved eating loads of cakes and chocolate and way too much bread and pop so I think just by stopping those shocked my body into loosing all that weight. the rests has been gradual but I may just be impatient now after losing weight quiet fast and now Its slowed down.

Thanks everyone! :-D x
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's normal to lose water weight quickly in the beginning.

It was definitely smart to get a lace-up gown. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • alisajade88
    Options
    Thanks, :-) It was a sale sample dress so if I wanted it, it had to be that one. And seen as it made me cry when I had it on because it was just perfect I had to have it, gives me more incentive to carry on with the weight loss and not give up x