Calorie Rant

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....you're supposed to eat up to your calorie GOAL. It has a built in deficit to lose weight already, you don't have to shoot under it...it's not maintenance. It's a goal...a goal is something to be achieved...why are you trying to be an underachiever by eating under your goal and making your deficit bigger?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So, this is just a little rant and feel free to add your own rants below. I have been using MFP for over a year now and doing great. Up until a few weeks ago I never had any problem getting too close to my calorie limit, but now, I usually end up with less than 100 calories at the end of the day. But, in my opinion, I am actually eating healthier than I was before! I have increased my fruit intake and probably have 4-5 servings of fruit a day or more. I have fruit with breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day. My usual daily meals are as follows:
    Breakfast - cereal (total, chex, Cheerios), low-fat organic milk, banana, fresh fruit smoothie made with low-fat yogurt (occasionally)
    Lunch - sandwich (100 cal bread, turkey, lettuce, spinach) or salad (I use low cal dressing and only a little), apple, banana, raisins, goldfish
    Dinner - under 500 calories
    Snacks - fruit (lately grapes or pineapple and I eat a lot of it!), 90 cal granola bars, and usually a small bowl of light ice cream for dessert sometimes with a banana or strawberries

So, I don't think I am eating horribly at all. But, I usually have zero leeway with my calories throughout the day. I try and fill out my diary in the morning so I know exactly what I will be eating and how many calories I will have left at the end of the day. I tend to get the munchies during the day so I usually snack on the left over raisins/goldfish that I didn't finish for lunch.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you think that you are eating really healthy and happy that you have decided to incorporate a lot more fruit into your diet but are now on the verge of going over your calories? Because I do! Ugh, okay, rant over. Going to make my healthy salad for lunch today.

I don't understand what your question is.

Your calorie goal is a target , not a limit.

If you are getting close to zero calories remaining, that is excellent.
    (providing it's the right calorie goal to start with)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OP, according to your profile page you are a whopping two pounds from goal. At that point it is definitely time to start eating at the calorie level needed to maintain that goal weight. It probably won't give you gobs of extra calories, but that is the calorie level you need to learn to live with. :drinker:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would say granola bars and Goldfish are wasted calories. Add more veggies. Something simple like celery with lemon juice you can eat a lot of. I also like carrots and hummus.

Truthfully salads get boring. Why not take a Sunday afternoon every other week and bake or grill some chicken breast, put it in a tub with 2 cups of your favorite steamed veggies and you have a better lunch. Bread on the amount of calories you are eating is really not filling. If you like fruit, get some Greek yogurt and put in whatever you like best. My favorite is a banana with a some frozen berries, a few walnuts and and some cried cranberries.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    RANT! I keep buying stuff I don't want in my house because my daughter's have puppy eyes

Laugh! And then you are forced to eat it just because, right? I think many can relate. If there is a potato chip in the house, I will find it and eventually I WILL eat it!

lol, no, I don't eat it... I can't ... it's gluten filled demon food
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    New rant.... people who think they know more than EVERYONE on this forum.
  • dgbrash2
    dgbrash2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So far, I've been on MFP for about 10 weeks, and set my goal to 1 pound loss per week (approx 1600-1700 cals per day). Most days I get 'close' to my target calories, but usually go a little over. So far, that seems to not be an issue, as I have lost 11 pounds in 10 weeks. I watch the total calorie intake and portion size. I honestly think the one thing that has helped me the most is to drink plenty of water. I've noticed that when I hydrate better, I don't get as hungry during the day. On occasion, if I feel hungry late in the day, I'll eat something extra, and it doesn't seem to hurt the weight loss. And usually it's a no-no like a small piece of chocolate, or small scoop of ice cream, even! I don't gorge, just eat enough to squelch the hunger. For me, it works.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    RANT! I keep buying stuff I don't want in my house because my daughter's have puppy eyes

Laugh! And then you are forced to eat it just because, right? I think many can relate. If there is a potato chip in the house, I will find it and eventually I WILL eat it!

Me!
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    So far, I've been on MFP for about 10 weeks, and set my goal to 1 pound loss per week (approx 1600-1700 cals per day). Most days I get 'close' to my target calories, but usually go a little over. So far, that seems to not be an issue, as I have lost 11 pounds in 10 weeks. I watch the total calorie intake and portion size. I honestly think the one thing that has helped me the most is to drink plenty of water. I've noticed that when I hydrate better, I don't get as hungry during the day. On occasion, if I feel hungry late in the day, I'll eat something extra, and it doesn't seem to hurt the weight loss. And usually it's a no-no like a small piece of chocolate, or small scoop of ice cream, even! I don't gorge, just eat enough to squelch the hunger. For me, it works.

You should drink 1 oz of water per pound of body weight
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    What's the problem your having?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Want more calorie leeway at the end of the day? Eat less in the earlier part of the day.

/end thread
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    So, this is just a little rant and feel free to add your own rants below. I have been using MFP for over a year now and doing great. Up until a few weeks ago I never had any problem getting too close to my calorie limit, but now, I usually end up with less than 100 calories at the end of the day. But, in my opinion, I am actually eating healthier than I was before! I have increased my fruit intake and probably have 4-5 servings of fruit a day or more. I have fruit with breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day. My usual daily meals are as follows:
    Breakfast - cereal (total, chex, Cheerios), low-fat organic milk, banana, fresh fruit smoothie made with low-fat yogurt (occasionally)
    Lunch - sandwich (100 cal bread, turkey, lettuce, spinach) or salad (I use low cal dressing and only a little), apple, banana, raisins, goldfish
    Dinner - under 500 calories
    Snacks - fruit (lately grapes or pineapple and I eat a lot of it!), 90 cal granola bars, and usually a small bowl of light ice cream for dessert sometimes with a banana or strawberries

So, I don't think I am eating horribly at all. But, I usually have zero leeway with my calories throughout the day. I try and fill out my diary in the morning so I know exactly what I will be eating and how many calories I will have left at the end of the day. I tend to get the munchies during the day so I usually snack on the left over raisins/goldfish that I didn't finish for lunch.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you think that you are eating really healthy and happy that you have decided to incorporate a lot more fruit into your diet but are now on the verge of going over your calories? Because I do! Ugh, okay, rant over. Going to make my healthy salad for lunch today.

if you find that you keep coming up short on cals, then try eating some almonds or other nut. even better, try adding in some extra protien, like a hard boild egg, chicken, tofu.

sounds like you are doing great! keep up the good work.

I don't think the OP wants to up their calories, but was concerned they might go over.
    Also sounds like the OP is placing blame on the extra fruit intake. Adding as opposed to displacing those calories is more likely the culprit. If you like fruit, make room, if they're causing some kind of unwanted craving (sugar) then maybe make the adjustment for less fruit or fruit with fewer sugars.
  • Alphawolf02
    Alphawolf02 Posts: 94
    Options
    So, my original rant, I suppose, comes from the idea that MFP is about a lot of things: excercise, portion control, and mainly keeping track of the amount of calories you eat during the day. However, some fruit, mainly the ones that are available year-round like bananas and apples, tend to be fairly high in calories. Now, I understand that that is dueto the natural sugars that are in fruit, but when a medium banana is 100 calories, it just amazes me that it is that much and sometimes I even cringe when I think of all the calories I consume in fruit. I have gotten better about worrying more about weekly goals and healthy choices, but the numbers themselves still sometimes put me in a bit of a panic! And, I gained some weight over the last 2 weeks since I couldn't exercise (neck injury) and did some depression eating :(

And, to answer some questions/comments proposed:
    --Yes, I exercise. I run at least 3 times a week.
    -- I am actually trying to maintain my weight.
    -- Goldfish are little crackers in the shape of fish that are actually high in sodium IMP :(
    -- Thanks for all the "Well dones".
    -- Thanks to the person who pointed out the sugar content in raisins.
    -- And, I should add more veggies to my diet as well as foods that keep me fuller longer (like eggs and nuts).
  • Alphawolf02
    Alphawolf02 Posts: 94
    Options

HERE IS MY RANT!!!! GRRRRR: Our fridge died. The new fridge was on back order because of the way the kitchen is configured. We only found ONE fridge at Sears and Home Depot that woudl actualyl fit, and it was on backorder.

NO fridge for 9 days.

Okay know, first world problems, right? But...

I have completely plateau-ed. It is VERY hard to maintain great healthy eating with no fridge. I am sure I have consumed 12 pounds of sodium, and we are eating more take out and eating out more...SO far I have nto gained (which is a miracle) but I am SO frustrated to be on PAUSE until I get a fridge again!

That is horrible!!!! I hope you get your fridge soon. I have a trip to FL this weekend for a Greek Christening and the after dinner is homemade Greek food! High in fat, calories, butter, and happy goodness. Again, first world food problems, but still horribly annoying to us "food editors".