Eating back exercise calories made me gain - so confused

Options
So, I wish I could say that the extra 6lbs on the scale didn't bum me out. But they do, and I'm confused about how to make them go away.

For the most part, my weight loss has been pretty non-existent. I started at 147lbs and then pretty much stayed there for the entire two months I was logging MFP. I have a desk job, but otherwise I stay pretty active after work. I lift twice a week, and I run 3 - 5 miles on average 2x a week.

Some other threads suggested eating back my exercise calories or eating up to the MFP calories for the day to avoided the dreaded 'starvation mode'. So, I started eating back my exercise burn (which I thought was pretty accurate, I've been wearing a BodyMedia Fit band that supposedly measures calorie burn. It syncs with MFP to log a calorie deficit).

I thought I was doing the right thing, but a month later I'm up 6lbs.

I'm pretty discouraged. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I do not follow that silly idea. Why would you eat back what you worked so hard to burn?
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    your diary is closed, so wecould not begin to guess what you are doing wrong .....
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How are your measurements looking? You might be building muscle.

If your measurements are going up as well, then you either need to revise your calorie total down a bit (since MFP's calculations aren't right for everyone!) or, if they're already quite low (1200 or less is what people normally say), eat more for a while until your body adjusts to using up more energy, then drop back down from there to lose the weight.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    eating back calories is stupid and useless.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    nobody ever wants to hear this, but based on what you are saying, I am pretty certain you are either over-estimating your activity level or under estimating our food or both.

You have to be meticulous in logging your food - especially you women that don't have that much to lose because you guys have such a small window of opportunity between your bmr and tdee. I'd recommend getting a digital food scale and measure EVERYTHING you eat for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference.

A little game you can play during that 2 weeks is to try to estimate the portion first, then weigh it and see how close you are. This will help you get better at estimating at restaurants and stuff since you really can't take your scale with you everywhere!
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    we overcomplicate EVERYTHING!! Simplicity is key here...if you are losing great! if you are feeling a bit weak and hungry eat!!
    Do not follow the many false guidelines and fad diet and so called health practices on this site and other sources..just keep it simple and elegant
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with GauchoMark. You are likely underestimating what you eat. The BMF should be fairly accurate on your calorie burn, but do you have a heart rate monitor you could use to check it? For your runs, how many calories does it estimate you burn?

The issue is likely in your intake. Way too easy to underestimate what you're eating.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    also there no "starvation mode" or slow metabolism! jeeeeeez
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do not follow that silly idea. Why would you eat back what you worked so hard to burn?
    Because MFP has you at a deficit already with your daily calorie goal - meaning you could eat to goal, do zero exercise, and you're at a deficit and will lose weight. Exercising and burning more calories creates an even larger deficit, which can lead to problems - that's why they add those burned calories back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them back.

Now this is assuming you entered all your info correctly when you set up MFP, going for a reasonable weight loss goal (as in, not 2lbs a week unless you've got 100+ pounds to lose, etc), and that all the food consumed is measured and accounted for correctly - the system works.

OP - as for the six pound gain - how long has it been since to switched to eating back exercise cals? Do you also take measurements and progress photos? Do you lift heavy? And how often do you weight - the body can easily fluctuate 6lbs in a week due to a new or harder workout, too much sodium & water retention, hormones, time of the month, etc.

Hard to offer more advice without more info - if you could make your diary public that might help. :smile: Hang in there - with only 17 pounds to lose, it's a pretty slow process anyway, and hard to be patient!
  • GauchoMark
    Options

First of all, she wasn't losing weight BEFORE she started eating back calories, so something else was off originally.

Secondly, why eat back calories from exercise? So you can actually build/retain muscle instead of losing it from not having enough fuel. There are many other reasons why you should eat back calories - at least 50% or more. If you want to lose weight in a healthy manner, you need to be fueling your muscles properly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark nailed it IMO.

Regarding exercise calories in general:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    also there no "starvation mode" or slow metabolism! jeeeeeez

so you lose weight linearly? Wow, he first known person to do that, congrats!
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    thank you!
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    nobody ever wants to hear this, but based on what you are saying, I am pretty certain you are either over-estimating your activity level or under estimating our food or both.

You have to be meticulous in logging your food - especially you women that don't have that much to lose because you guys have such a small window of opportunity between your bmr and tdee. I'd recommend getting a digital food scale and measure EVERYTHING you eat for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Yes. I agree. :)

I tried eating back exercise calories and I don't think I gained, but I didn't really lose either. On a day where I really bust *kitten* at the gym I might eat more back but if I don't feel like I need them, then i dont. :) Listen to your body!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ..just keep it simple and elegant
    :huh: Like this?

Very elegant!

LOL Yeah, and proper nutrition and fueling your body by eating enough is stupid and useless. :smokin:
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed, so wecould not begin to guess what you are doing wrong .....

Whoops! Just made it public. Thanks!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Further, I don't track my exercise calories. One reason, I doubt it is possible to really get an accurate count of calories burned. I find that MFP seems to be WAY overestimating. I say don't eat it if you don't feel you need to. Even as someone with an appetite control problem, I do notice a difference in my "hunger" that I feel when full, and my real hunger after working out. The after workout hunger is way more intense, yet easier to satisfy. Listen to your body.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories back. I think it's counterintuitive.
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    we overcomplicate EVERYTHING!! Simplicity is key here...if you are losing great! if you are feeling a bit weak and hungry eat!!
    Do not follow the many false guidelines and fad diet and so called health practices on this site and other sources..just keep it simple and elegant

couldn't agree more...
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    Exactly. Further, I don't track my exercise calories. One reason, I doubt it is possible to really get an accurate count of calories burned. I find that MFP seems to be WAY overestimating. I say don't eat it if you don't feel you need to. Even as someone with an appetite control problem, I do notice a difference in my "hunger" that I feel when full, and my real hunger after working out. The after workout hunger is way more intense, yet easier to satisfy. Listen to your body.
    I use a wrist heart rate monitor right now, but will be purchasing a Zephyr soon.... the numbers here are put in by people who likely have a much different caloric burn than myself, and I don't wanna flub. So, yes, I don't really count my exercise calories either. I just use it to keep a journal of what I'm doing