This is a photoshop - signed, a graphic artist. (with pics)

Options

Replies

• Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Apparently, I am naive...and it isn't like I don't look at those pictures and think...wow..
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Thank you, fascinating, and should be ILLEGAL, or at least discouraged.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I would trust and ad company that was honest over photoshop anyday
  • hifi898
    hifi898 Posts: 54
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • LionQueenIslands
    Options
    Hello TiaFerrera,

I agree with you that all these stars, like Beyonce or Demi Moore or others use a lot of Photoshop, and that can cause a bad answer on their fans, because they want to look like them.

Honestly, I've seen worse manipulations of magazine covers, such as the Demi Moore.

It is nice to know that people like you try to show the truth about all this stuff, because a lot of girls, specifically the young ones, that will try to imitate those celebrities, and can put at risk their health in the way to achieve it.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    this has to be one of the best threads on MFP at the mo..

As i started to look at the later photos I started to notice things before I read what you wrote..

Thank you!

I completely agree. What a brilliant and eye-opening (in some cases, with Photoshop) post. :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Bumping this great thread! Thanks for the fantastic post, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Save to read later.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread; would love to see more!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread!

I'd be curious to see if things like the Dove "Real Beauty" campaign are photoshopped too and how much. Particularly because they claim to advocate for normal women. :P
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    #7 the compilation photo.
    0126-kourtney-kardashian.jpg

Look for heavily shopped images that look normal enough, but you don't know why it seems "off" You'll notice here, a mysterious floating head, also her wrist seems a little odd doesn't it?
    The second image is from the same photo shoot. They first turned her white shirt lavender, and the babies shirt white. Now you can see it don't you?
    The magazine cover is actually, from what I can tell at least 4 different photos compiled together. Notice her hands are the exact same, but the baby is different (and his head is floating). Her head from a different photo than the body. Not to mention the heavy work done on her "drop that baby weight" body. I think it's just terrible the pressure they put on new moms just to sell magazines.

I'm going to take off for the night, but I can keep finding them if it looks like the conversation shows enough interest, i don't want to bug the MFP world lol
    Wow thanks for sharing these!!! The floating head thing is so obvious now you pointed it out! As for this one with the baby, I wonder why they bothered doing a photo shoot really, if all they were going to do was stick different bits together and then change the colours, they could have just taken them off google or something lol.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    britney-spears-before-after-candies-photoshop2-480x649.jpg

You just made my morning, no my whole day!

I'm 5'8", 118# and work out like a fiend
    But I will NEVER lose my thigh cellulite unless I have lipo or can walk around with a PS body.

I am definitely going to start making my 9 year old daughter more aware of all this "fakeness".

Thank you, thank you for posting this! :flowerforyou:
  • diva_kate
    diva_kate Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is such a fascinating thread, thank you for sharing your expertise with us. As a mother of a little girl, I'm interested in sharpening these detection skills so that I can talk to her about what she's seeing.
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. This comes from a grown woman who was once a pre-teen/teen flipping through magazines full of "beautiful" images and wondering why, despite striving every day to eat less and less, my body was not changing into anything close to the perfect image of what a woman's body is "supposed" to look like. (Regretfully, insecurity is the main reason I started learning how to use Photoshop at the age of 12.) To this day I can visualize specific ads that I saw at this vulnerable time, shortly before taking the "eating less" thing to unhealthy extremes. Would it have made a difference if I had been educated that these perfect women were so heavily edited? Possibly. If you have a daughter (or son), I suggest having a conversation about it because they will inevitably encounter confusing images of unattainable perfection, and you can't be sure how they'll be affected. Still, images are often more powerful than words. Images PLUS the types of words found in magazines and advertising (short, concise, easy for your brain to consume without much conscious thought) are a powerhouse.

It's not just using Photoshop to make adult models thinner that is worrisome. It's erasing pores and wrinkles and suggesting a product did the work. It's "whitewashing" darker skin tones (seriously, shouldn't we be PAST that stupid white = beauty thing). It's using Photoshop to alter the photos of *healthy children*.

I think it is important for every person to be able to spot the B/S.... not just graphic artists with trained eyes who can easily spot the tell-tale signs. This education is not about criticizing celebrities for being "imperfect". It's about criticizing the fact that you're being sold a lie every day, and the only way to avoid it is to move into a creepy mountain hermit cabin and have no contact with popular culture. The celebrities are beautiful like any normal person. They have pores. They have wrinkles. They have cellulite. They have rib-cages. They have moles. They have blemishes. Most importantly, it's okay that you do too. It isn't ugly and neither are dark skin, realistic measurements, and skin texture.

retusjering1.jpg
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    #4 looking at the woman above please note the following: Real women's heads are NEVER bigger than their waist.
    gorgeous.jpeg
    A lot of you may have seen this one, yes she is from the side, but at the size that this waist was shopped, the measurment around the crown of her head would be wider than the waist. Not even anorexics can do this.

So what I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeee herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
    And I have alwayyyyyyyyysssssssssss admired this picture.
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    This is great. No wonder so many young women have issues as they aspire to the impossible:- and what is basically a fraud.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    #7 the compilation photo.
    0126-kourtney-kardashian.jpg

Look for heavily shopped images that look normal enough, but you don't know why it seems "off" You'll notice here, a mysterious floating head, also her wrist seems a little odd doesn't it?
    The second image is from the same photo shoot. They first turned her white shirt lavender, and the babies shirt white. Now you can see it don't you?
    The magazine cover is actually, from what I can tell at least 4 different photos compiled together. Notice her hands are the exact same, but the baby is different (and his head is floating). Her head from a different photo than the body. Not to mention the heavy work done on her "drop that baby weight" body. I think it's just terrible the pressure they put on new moms just to sell magazines.

I'm going to take off for the night, but I can keep finding them if it looks like the conversation shows enough interest, i don't want to bug the MFP world lol
    This just disgusts me. This industry clearly can't regulate itself and is inflicting tons of psychological damage on women of all ages, and now new moms? I remember never being happy with my own body as a teen because of what I saw in Cosmo and Vogue. Now, I realize I had a great, athletic body back then.

When will it end? I'm okay with the photoshopping of makeup and pores and such, but I would love to see one magazine step forward and say we won't make the people in our magazine look thinner than they really are. I would buy that magazine.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Bump to read the rest - LOVING THIS!!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tia, thank you so much for posting these comparisons! If one is going to have "thinspiration" let it be based on a real, obtainable image, not one that is so doctored as to be unreachable for anyone anywhere. It's like a horse looking for inspiration from photoshopped images of unicorns. Well, pretty pony, you'll never be a unicorn. All these shopped magazine images are unicorns. They make the average mare feel pretty darned homely.