Confessions of the "I'm Not Giving up Dessert Non- Diet"

Options
Is it just me or am I the only one who feels no need to deprive myself of something sweet, almost daily. I mean come on, this is a life time changer right? No need restricting to the point of withdrawal. So I like to save a few hundred calories just so I can have a real dessert, not the half-assed diet desserts, because that's for diets right? and we aren't dieting, we are Life Changing. I even workout to get extra calories, and I always have left over calories. So is this a bad thing? Is there anyone else out there who does the Not Giving up dessert Non-diet besides me?

Replies

• jburls23
    jburls23 Posts: 22
    Options
    Absolutely!! This is forever :)
  • chelleyr9
    chelleyr9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep!! I work out so that I can get my dessert...REAL dessert! And I have no shame!
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yes! i would rather give up my main course than dessert!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Not strictly for dessert, but for my daily TastyKake with an afternoon cup of tea. Keeps me sane.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I always have said, I don't have a sweet tooth.. I have a sweet mouth. I always leave at least 100 calories left at the end of the day for a piece or two of some dark chocolate or greek frozen yogurt to satisfy my cravings!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not the only one. With the exception of giving up soda and cutting way, way, way back on eating out, I haven't given up anything. I still eat something sweet, Oreos, ice cream, Reese's Cups, or dark chocolate, on a nearly daily basis. If I didn't, I'd end up bingeing on them instead of eating an appropriate portion based on my calorie goal. The IIFIYM mindset is one of the keys that have made me successful this time around.
  • FindingHeaven4me
    Options
    LOL I love that you have no shame, as long as we are doing the responsible things of daily life like exercising, and eating other healthy choices. But that dessert is what gets me by. Its kinda sad I'm motivated by my dessert at the end of the day... Still have the big girl mentality :Op
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up anything I can't live without forever. I'm more a cheese person than a sweets person, but I have my Queso dip splurge scheduled for tomorrow. Just saved up some calories over the week so I can really enjoy myself. It's all about working what you want into what you need to get to your goal. It's totally doable and definitely necessary (at least for me).
  • FindingHeaven4me
    Options
    You all are awesome thanks for being honest!!
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! I build chocolate into my menu twice daily - I refuse to have lunch or tea without some chocolate afterwards. For me it's all about moderation - I'll now have funsize chocolate bars or one chocolate biscuit instead of several :)
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or am I the only one who feels no need to deprive myself of something sweet, almost daily. I mean come on, this is a life time changer right? No need restricting to the point of withdrawal. So I like to save a few hundred calories just so I can have a real dessert, not the half-assed diet desserts, because that's for diets right? and we aren't dieting, we are Life Changing. I even workout to get extra calories, and I always have left over calories. So is this a bad thing? Is there anyone else out there who does the Not Giving up dessert Non-diet besides me?

I just had a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting and felt terrible... until I read your post. Thank you :-)
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options

$5 says you post a success thread before any of the "I'm eating nothing but clean foods starting on Monday" crowd.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have multiple sweets a day, ice cream brownies, candy, etc. As long as I stay in my calories and hit my protein macro, anything is fair game
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up anything I can't live without forever.

It's how I eat, and not just for desserts/sweets. I'm not living the next *crossed fingers* 30 years without potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, cheese, etc.; you know, all the "naughty" foods.
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    Options
    Not just you. I love food and I refuse to give up anything I enjoy. I'm learning better portion control - MFP helps me to see what I'm really eating - but I would much rather exercise more so that I can eat the things I love (in moderation) than give any of it up completely. I do like to try to find better, healthier versions of ice cream or chocolate or salty snacks. But give them up completely? Never, ever gonna happen.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I just had a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting and felt terrible... until I read your post. Thank you :-)

That sounds delicious. Red velvet is my favorite
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I never gave up dessert once while losing
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever the heck I like, within reason, and I make it work. Dessert, fast food, whatever. I have cut out my daily two diet sodas, amazing what that did to reduce migraines. And fast food is once a week at the most. I have chocolate almost every day. I have something of a love affair with dark chocolate... lol
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My way of going about it isn't exactly the same, but if I want something sweet, I make it worth the calories. I'm go to the bakery for a to-die-for cupcake, or splurge at my favorite chocolate shop....what I've tried to limit is the almost daily cheap candy bar (or two.....sometimes three) I was eating before.
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I agree that nothing should be completely off limits. The only problem with having a dessert every day is if you were working with a pretty low-cal diet (diet as in what you eat every day) you might short yourself on important nutrients to make room for pretty much empty calories. Eating at a more modest calorie deficit gives you more room for this stuff without danger of eating too little of the good stuff. The other problem is that with anything particularly calorie dense (sugary and/or fatty foods) there is a bigger margin for error if you accidentally miscalculate portion size when tracking. After some fellow MFP members brought that to my attention, I started being more meticulous when measuring calorie dense items :)

Sweets aren't really my thing. Personally, I practice "cheese-ert". I love cheese but try not to eat much of it. Cheese is my dessert. :P That, or a glass of red wine... Then if it's a day where I don't have the room for extra calories, chai tea with vanilla stevia & a splash of (coconut or almond) milk.