In desperate need to fit into my wedding dress

Options

Replies

• Smitten823
    Smitten823 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! First off CONGRATULATIONS :) As many others have said - your wedding is the most happiest and wonderful time of your life!

Secondly - I will add you and will def be there if you ever need a motivator or a friend :)

I think if you stick to it and do the best you can then you will look and feel beautiful and that is the most important thing! I am also actually 3 months away from my wedding and trying me best to have that day & my dress be my motivators :) So i can totally relate!!!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    WHY do women constantly do this to themselves?! Every bridal consultant will tell you not to do it. Google it on the internet and the wedding buzz tells us not to do it, but we still order dresses that don't fit!? I don't understand why women don't order the size they are told to or one UP - you are more than likely going to be forced to alter any formal attire anyway! It's just a number and its ALWAYS easier to have more to work with as opposed to less.

That rant being said it CAN be done. My friend did it last May for her wedding. If I remember correctly it was mostly low carb diets and two a day workouts that made it possible. Dig deep and go hard my friend... best of luck
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    So I bought my wedding dress in January off the rack and it's 2 sizes too small. It's been such a rough go the last few months dealing with by anxiety, depression, and binge eating disorder. I'm happy to say I haven't really gained weight, but I'm still too big to fit into my dress. My fitting is in 2 months, and I think I need to lose about 20-25 pounds. I really don't want to have it taken out if I don't have to.

So I'm needing some friends to help me stay accountable, keep me motivated, and make sure I stay on track. I know this is my responsibility to do this...but sometimes that extra encouragement helps.

I know some people will say it's too much to lose in a short period of time...but i'm almost 250lbs right now...weight seems to fall off me faster the bigger I am. I would love to be 225 for my wedding.

Yeah, good luck with that.
    I'm about your size and I've lost around 30 lbs since xmas. And that was only around half to a full size depending on the brand. It's possible, just not probable.

As I understand it, wedding dresses are highly expensive and custom tailored.
    Why the heck didn't you just pick out a design and then have it tailored to the size you are at your dress fitting, whatever that may happen to be, so you can be happy with yourself no matter what size you are and not add on a ton of stress in the middle of all the wedding planning? You do know that a dress fitting usually involves CUTTING into the dress to make it smaller, yes?

I am not the person who likes being rude to people about their goals, but expecting to lose two whole sizes in 2 months seems like you're setting yourself up for failure to me. Is this about wanting to be healthier or wanting to fit into a dress which can be made in any size? Is it about wanting to get in shape or being ashamed to show the people you love what you look like on the day you're promising to love someone for better or for worse and in sickness and health?

this reply IS "tough love", but ditto to everything here. SO agree!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    So I bought my wedding dress in January off the rack and it's 2 sizes too small. It's been such a rough go the last few months dealing with by anxiety, depression, and binge eating disorder. I'm happy to say I haven't really gained weight, but I'm still too big to fit into my dress. My fitting is in 2 months, and I think I need to lose about 20-25 pounds. I really don't want to have it taken out if I don't have to.

So I'm needing some friends to help me stay accountable, keep me motivated, and make sure I stay on track. I know this is my responsibility to do this...but sometimes that extra encouragement helps.

I know some people will say it's too much to lose in a short period of time...but i'm almost 250lbs right now...weight seems to fall off me faster the bigger I am. I would love to be 225 for my wedding.

Yeah, good luck with that.
    I'm about your size and I've lost around 30 lbs since xmas. And that was only around half to a full size depending on the brand. It's possible, just not probable.

As I understand it, wedding dresses are highly expensive and custom tailored.
    Why the heck didn't you just pick out a design and then have it tailored to the size you are at your dress fitting, whatever that may happen to be, so you can be happy with yourself no matter what size you are and not add on a ton of stress in the middle of all the wedding planning? You do know that a dress fitting usually involves CUTTING into the dress to make it smaller, yes?

I am not the person who likes being rude to people about their goals, but expecting to lose two whole sizes in 2 months seems like you're setting yourself up for failure to me. Is this about wanting to be healthier or wanting to fit into a dress which can be made in any size? Is it about wanting to get in shape or being ashamed to show the people you love what you look like on the day you're promising to love someone for better or for worse and in sickness and health?

I have to say I agree with this. Its harsh, certainly, but no one is looking at the tag on your dress. I got married 9 years ago and at the time I was only wearing a size 8 ... but my wedding dress was a 12. It didn't bother me for one second. It looked beautiful and my goal is actually to fit back into it for my 10 year anniversary. I'm giving myself a year to lose the 40 lbs I have to go...because I want to lose it forever.

It doesn't help you if you gain it all back plus some during your honeymoon...it just hurts you. Your wedding is important, certainly, but trust me that the part afterwards is the really important stuff. For both being married and your health.

YMMV of course and I suppose its a bit late since you already own the dress, but if it has to be made bigger, don't let that change anything. Your spouse to be is marrying you as is, not "only if".

If you want to change, that's a great goal...just be careful you don't make yourself more stressed than a wedding already will....
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting married!

Just my 2 cents, but if I were you I would focus on getting smaller, not necessarily reaching a certain weight. The goal is to be smaller to fit into the dress right? Weight fluctuates so much and it's going to be really frustrating if all you focus on is the number going down. Here's what you need to do for the next 2 months:

1. Plan ALL of your meals. Literally plan Bfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Look up healthy recipes that appeal to you. Go grocery shopping and only get what's on your plan. Bring lunch/snacks to work and don't get take-out.
    2. Try not to drink much alcohol. It's empty calories and the drunker you get, the more likely it is that you'll go to taco bell on the way home!
    3. Plan your workouts and stick to them. I write mine on a dry-erase calendar. You don't have to work out for 3 hours a day. Schedule 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Do a Jillian Michaels video. Go for a run. Lift weights. Go to a zumba class. Do whatever you can do to really push yourself for those 30-45 minutes. Change happens when you PUSH and not just go through the motions.
    4. Try not to go out to eat. If you do, stick to lean protein and veggies.

Yes, this kinda sucks, but it's only 2 months!! You can do ANYTHING for 2 months! Keep your eye on the prize and focus on that dress. You can even try it on once a week to see how it's going. Don't give up! You got this!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At 250lbs you could totally manage 10lb per month loss if you stick with it, clean up your diet, up the protein, drop the carbs, forget soda/sweets completely and exercise.
    If it's worth it to you, if you really want it, you can do it.
    Best of luck x

It's doable, and you get your motivation where you can, even if it's a too small wedding dress. Just what this poster says: kill the sugars and simple carbs completely. Eat plenty of lean protein and green cruciferous veggies--think brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale-- and find a good exercise you can stick with.

I just came off my third cycle of doing low carbs (<20 g per day). On each ten-day cycle I've lost about 8 pounds. (And keep it off by following a decent moderate carb diet in between cycles.) I would think at your current weight, you could lose a bit more on each cycle.

Good luck!
  • Eve386
    Eve386 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am about to buy my wedding dress also and wanted to loose 20 kilos. Have accomplished 10 in 9 weeks. It is possible, but lets be honest, not the healthy lifestyle change I should have made years ago. Aiming high works for some people and not for others so maybe have a think about what you've done in the past and what has worked or what has led to worse binging.

My key was my partner who is skinny as a rake and eats whatever he likes. This won't help unless you live together but I needed someone to do diet with me and to hold me accountable. So he agreed to not keep any junk in the house, to not allow me to give in to easier food options and to exercise with me each night. Having a partner, kids or roomie onboard really helps to motivate I think.

I really hope you make it but don't be hard on yourself if you don't as any loss is good!

Eve
  • angrystarlyt
    angrystarlyt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! I weighed 165 when I got engaged and wore a size 8 dress. My grandfather owns a formal dress company so I could pick out any dress I wanted, but he warned me they ran small, so I ordered a 10. It was a column dress, however, so that baby would--not--zip. I didn't do anything crazy, but for 2 months over the summer, I walked 45 minutes on a treadmill every day, ate sensibly (I tended to eat lower carb, but certainly splurged a couple times of week,) and weighed 149 by the end of the summer and right in time for my wedding, and the dress juuuuust zipped. I hid the scale because I have the tendency to celebrate every few pounds of weight loss with pizza, which sort of defeated any progress I had made :) Just went by how the dress was fitting.

This might seem ridiculous but if you're *almost* there but not quite a couple days before, try cutting out sodas, if you drink them. I didn't have Diet Coke for 3 days because the sodium made me swell up just enough that it made a difference.
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    To those lecturing me about buying my dress too small, the reason being I bought it at a wedding show where I got a great deal on a dress off the rack. They probably would have ordered me a 20, but the dress was a 16 and an additional $400 off if I bought it that day. Who can say no to that! Got an amazing dress for $700.

315n91h.jpg
  • stacybg
    stacybg Posts: 2
    Options
    You look beautiful! Keep up the good work!!
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you were my friend (and anyone who is friends with me knows this is the truth), I would tell you to buy a larger dress.

Honestly, it's not that buying something smaller as a motivation is a bad thing it's not. But stressing yourself out to reach a difficult goal at a time in your life when you are supposed to be working towards a celebratory occasion and life change is shooting yourself in the foot.

Why do that to yourself. Weight is easier to lose when you're not stressed. Workouts are better, sleep comes more easily, you make better food choices and decisions in general when you are relaxed and going with the grain instead of against it. Focus on what's important: being healthy and moving in to the beautiful journey of marriage. Drop anything that adds on to the stress factor.

Good luck to you.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    While the weight goal is doable, you never know WHERE the weight will come from, so whether or not you go down two dress seizes is questionable. I swear, my first 8 pounds came from my face, and my last 10-15 are ALL sitting on my midsection!

So, first, you have to get your eating in check. If you have a diagnosed disorder, schedule sessions with your therapist, got to meetings, whatever you need. Start tracking what you eat. Set up your account to get a healthy deficit going. And, add in exercise, especially lifting as it will help you retain muscle. You may not see the scale number move fast, but retaining muscle means more of your loss will be from fat, not muscle, so you'll get smaller faster (in theory).

I would definitely have a back-up dress, just in case. Not to demotivate, but so that's not one more stress if you happen to try your dress on in two weeks, and it's still 2 sizes too small. Knowing you have a back-up plan may take some stress off.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have been working out/eating healthy for like month an I've lost close to 15 lbs (I started at 252) so I don't think it's going to be hard if you commit:) I am also trying to lose weight for a wedding but mines not until next year lol add me if you would like!
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Eat Paleo, and do 30 Day Shred EVERY day... step it up a notch and do 30 minutes of biking or walk/jogging too.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to be your friend. My situation is similar, though not as 'dire'. I'm already married but it was a courthouse ceremony with a bigger thing 'Soon'. I went dress shopping, informed the woman of my size. She then brought me a selection of dresses 2-4 sizes bigger than my size, while informing me that wedding dresses run small.

I refuse to wear a dresser 'bigger' than 'my size' (vanity is an awful thing) so I took my butt back home and decided I would readdress the dress situation later this year.

Long story aside I do understand the wedding dress woes and would be happy to motivate and keep you on track in any way I can. :)

Edit: Did you get that dress in your profile picture from Fredricks of Hollywood? I swear I have the same dress in blue.

Wedding dresses are sized more according to "true" sizing. It's not that THEY run small, it's that other clothes have been vanity sized ridiculously. I wear 4s & 6s in my dress pants & jeans, own dresses in size 6, but my wedding gown is an 8. And, because proportionally my waist is the biggest of the proportions., I have to have it taken out a smidge. If I had bought the 10, everything else would have needed to be taken in, so the 8 is working... I don't care that it's not the 4 or 6 I wear in other clothes. I'm just thankful to have found a beautiful gown that I love and no one is ever going to see the size tag, anyway, so why does it matter? Shrug...

ETA: OP, I wish you much success. I believe you can do it, though I doubt it will be easy.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I respect trying to lose weight and set goals, but to set such expectations near your wedding, which is already a stressful time, seems unrealistic. Especially when you mentioned anxiety, depression, and binge eating.

What you could do is take it to the tailor and if the back allows, just ask them to make eyelet holes for a corset backing. That way you can adjust it to be as loose or tight as you need and it will still have a stylish, romantic look to it.

Either way, it's your wedding. Be happy and feel beautiful and please don't ruin the months leading up to it with beating yourself up or working yourself to the bone! Good luck :flowerforyou:
    Also, I agree with this. ^^
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    First of all the dress and you are gorgeous! I understand completely the value of getting that dress for that price. I think it is absolutely doable to get into the dress. I agree with planning your meals, but in your case you will need to plan for the week. I know I am addicted to taste and so I have to plan quite boring days or I will want to eat everything in sight. Whatever you plan you stick to that plan regardless of where you are eating. Remember if you are eating out, if the ingredients are somewhere on the menu, they can make what you want. As for exercise, if walking is what you like to do, remember to change your route. Your body gets used to things rather quickly. Maybe you might want to find some exercises that target the areas you need to slim down. I wish you the best and I know you can do this,
  • mariposa224
    Options
    To those lecturing me about buying my dress too small, the reason being I bought it at a wedding show where I got a great deal on a dress off the rack. They probably would have ordered me a 20, but the dress was a 16 and an additional $400 off if I bought it that day. Who can say no to that! Got an amazing dress for $700.

315n91h.jpg
    You look beautiful. I also agree with others who've emphasized doing regular workouts. Some type of resistance training, that will allow you to retain more lean body mass and lose the fat. I weigh now, what I used to weigh when I was barely in a size 8 jeans. I wear a 4 now, because much more of my weight is lean body mass than fat, as it was the last time (8 or 9 years ago) that I weighed this weight (actually less than I weigh now, by about 5 lbs).
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First off - good luck on your journey and congrats on your 30+ loss so far!!

I just got married in September and did not lose the weight I wanted to on my wedding day. Regardless, I was a beautiful bride on my wedding day and you will be too.

If there's one piece of advice I can give my friends getting married it's don't stress about losing weight or your appearance because you will look amazing regardless (though I totally understand the feeling of looking back at your wedding photos and wishing you had lost the weight sooner).

My zip-up dress didn't zip up and I had a corset/tie-up back put in to take off some of the stress of not fitting in my dress (P.S. I live in the same city as you and know a fantastic seamstress who did it for much cheaper than the bridal salons charge).

If you need an MFP friend for support, just add me! :)
  • divaford140
    divaford140 Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    The dress is gorgeous and so are you!!! You can do it if you really focus daily!!!! Friend me if you want!