Gluten free menu

Options
medicamina
medicamina Posts: 16 Member
I am gluten free (trying to be, I'm gluten intolerant) but am having a hard time both making the transition to gluten free and dieting at the same time. Those of you who are also gluten free, can I see your menus? What keeps you on track? My problem is getting in all the calories I need without having to consume gluten of some kind (which WRECKS my stomach). So, what do you eat? Thanks so much!

Replies

• ereinik
    ereinik Posts: 73
    Options
    I just started logging again so my diary can't really help you but here are some of my staples

-brown rice cakes with peanut butter and a banana
    -green smoothies
    -almond yogurt (greek if you can have dairy) with berries and GF granola
    -scrambled eggs
    -carrots and celery sticks with hummus
    -sautéed veggies with quinoa and a protein (chicken, or fish)
  • medicamina
    medicamina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    But how do you manage to get in "enough" calories? If I stay completely gluten free, then I can't get in enough calories for the day (like today I'm teetering on having 400+ left to consume), however, if I do eat somethign with gluten in it, then I can manage to get in "enough" food.

So, what does a typical day look like?
  • sdubya04
    sdubya04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My son is on a Gluten-Free diet to try to help his Aspergers. I'll be following this post to see if I can find recipes or ideas for him too!
    We get the flour mixes from the bulk store and make banana-nut muffins and corn bread. They are DELICIOUS. They also have baking mixes for pancakes and chicken nuggets! I can't feed him without them!
    I personally love all the gluten-free replacement food, but he hates it so we never buy any.
    But he eats TONS of rice/corn and cinnamon chex cereal!
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! While I am not gluten free myself, I do cook for my brother who is gluten free along with egg free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, and tree nut free. He also does not eat rice as he has trouble digesting it. There are naturally gluten free products that you can eat to increase your calorie intake like quinoa and brown rice (check to make sure it's gluten free). Also, increasing your protein intake is a good way to also increase your calorie intake. There are also several gluten free brands out there if you do not mind eating processed foods. One of my personal favorites is the Enjoy Life brand. They are an all allergen free company and make absolutely delicious chocolate bars, cookies, breads, and more. My favorite product from them is the soft baked snickerdoodle cookies. They taste just like snickerdoodles without the gluten, dairy etc. There are many resources online with clean gluten free recipes.
  • taylorxpaige
    Options
    My son is on a Gluten-Free diet to try to help his Aspergers. I'll be following this post to see if I can find recipes or ideas for him too!
    We get the flour mixes from the bulk store and make banana-nut muffins and corn bread. They are DELICIOUS. They also have baking mixes for pancakes and chicken nuggets! I can't feed him without them!
    I personally love all the gluten-free replacement food, but he hates it so we never buy any.
    But he eats TONS of rice/corn and cinnamon chex cereal!

Have you tried the enjoy life brand? Some of their products are better than others, but their soft baked cookies are absolutely delicious! Also, my brother has been gluten for several years and we've tried just about every flour on the market. I would recommend checking out Jules Gluten Free Baking Mixes. You can purchase them online and they have a variety of mixes (gingerbread cookies, pizza, muffins, cookies etc.). They are really great and do not have that gluten-free after taste that many products have. Also, Better Batter All Purpose Flour is one of the best gluten free flours on the market.
  • taylorxpaige
    Options
    Also, the Ian's brand has very delicious products. While anyone can eat them, of course, they are designed more for kids than adults. But they're delicious nonetheless!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Feel free to follow me, I eat GF. Also, check out my blog, theshehulkchef.tumblr.com; I post gluten free recipes 1-2 times a week :)
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    I cook for my mom who is gluten free to help with her fibromyalgia, so I'll post some ideas later.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    this specific issue doesn't apply to me, but generally, I do better if I focus on one thing at a time, so if I was in your situation, I would focus first on eating gluten free... and when I've got the hang of that, then focus on losing fat. You may find that going gluten free without focusing on calorie counting just yet may result in some fat loss, and from a health point of view, unless you're very severely morbidly obese, giving up gluten is more important from a health point of view... so do that first. Fat loss is a marathon not a sprint, so focus on doing things slowly, steadily and sustainably.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I am gluten free (trying to be, I'm gluten intolerant) but am having a hard time both making the transition to gluten free and dieting at the same time. Those of you who are also gluten free, can I see your menus? What keeps you on track? My problem is getting in all the calories I need without having to consume gluten of some kind (which WRECKS my stomach). So, what do you eat? Thanks so much!

Go ahead and look at my diary... I think it's public
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try BEANS, SWEET POTATO, NUTS & SEEDS. These are all good for you.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm not only gluten free, but totally grain free. Feel free to check out my diary.
  • Kim_Cat
    Kim_Cat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm celiac too... the following are some gluten free carb ideas... I only eat 35% of my calories from carbs, as per my dietician. Most of my carbs come from fruit and veggies.

I eat a lot of 'mission corn tortillas' in place of bread, or 'against the grain' baugettes (look at their ingredients, as they high in fat and protein). Brown rice is a good choice, serving size would be 1/3c for 100 calories. Udi's makes a variety of gluten free pizza, the best for a weight loss program would be the margarita pizza. Another thing I snack on frequently is NutriWise protein bars, the caramel nut flavor, they are only 155 calories and high in protein. Crunch masters multi seed crackers are good, too. Hummus is another suggestion.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    To get enough calories, up your fat content. Lunch yesterday for me: 1/2 an avocado mixed with a can of tuna over salad. Add dressing or vinegar if you like. That is about 400+ calories depending on dressing you may add.

Dinner last night: haddock coated in coconut flour and pan fried in some butter. Side of roasted carrots, but roasted potatoes would have been a great side as well. That was more than 600 calories I believe.

I don't snack a ton, so my meals are calorie heavy. I have been gluten free for a year and half now and I struggled in the beginning with getting enough calories. Adding more healthy fat (NOT canola and vegetable oil) increased my calorie intake while helping my weight loss.

Also, don't fear the fat. My blood work numbers are fantastic :)
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I first went GF I also decided to go as carb free as possible. But that meant I was only consuming about 500-700 calories a day, so I decided it had to be one or the other. And since I am gluten intolerant....

This is what I stick to:

-GF oatmeal
    -Quest Bars
    -Popcorn (which isn't the best, but hey.)
    -Peanut Butter
    -Avocado
    -Beef Jerky

I also love Udi's bread. It's about 120-140 calories for 2 pieces depending on the kind you get and it is filling. If you start adding in *SOME* packaged gluten free foods that are on the healthier side, you should be able to get your calories in.
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Also, the Ian's brand has very delicious products. While anyone can eat them, of course, they are designed more for kids than adults. But they're delicious nonetheless!

Their fish sticks are awesome! Corn meal instead of flour!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have a son with Celiac's disease, and has a severe reaction to Gluten. He loves Rice cakes... potato chips and Udi's products! Dinners for us are usually meat, potatoes and a veggie... I will make pasta salad from time to time, and he eats it wihth GF Noodles. He also eats a LOT of salad, as he doesnt really like meat - except pork.

Depending on your likes and dislikes, it should be pretty easy to get in enough calories if you eat more protein. I eat more than my calories in order to get in enough protein, and have gluten intolerance, so if I eat something with gluten in it, I get sleepy and queasy.

Do your best.... read labels, and do not eat gluten if it causes problems. I would prefer to be under on my calories than to eat something with gluten and be sick! Good luck...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my diary is open. I've not been eating particularly healthy lately as I'm low on groceries and I was at a concert and out of town all weekend. Please note that sometimes I eat a few questionable things, like oatmeal from McDonald's & Starbucks which is not certified gluten free, those are chances I take and seem to do ok with. I would double check the status of anything you are thinking about eating to make sure it's safe for you!

I don't really have trouble meeting my calories. I use whole milk in my coffee on cereal, I use fall-fat salad dressings, Irish butter, guacamole, etc.

My favorite meals are steak or chicken tacos w/ soft corn tortillas, stir-fries with gluten free sauces, shepherd's pie, baked pasta dishes, pork carnitas, and roasted chicken.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my hubby is celiac and so 90% of what I eat is gluten free (the obvious exceptions being when he is not around)
    eat lots of nuts and peanut butter
    silver hills makes the best gluten free bread.. its an Omega Flax bread and is packed full of whole ingredients rather than the empty starches found in most GF substitutes
    add avocado to things to increase your fat intake
    lots of brown rice and quinoa to get your whole grains
    basically just eat real food but avoid bread and other obviously glutenous things

also if you want an awesome energy bar, the whole VEGA line is gluten free and they are DELICIOUS, packed full of awesome organic and raw ingredients, and will provide you with the macros you need =)
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free... AND a vegetarian. and have an open diary, if you're interested!