why should i use protein powder?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is great right after a workout (within 45 minutes of the workout you should be consuming fast digesting protein like whey or isolate).

Unfortunately no it isnt.

Protein Powder should be used to reach your protein macro goal and it does not matter what time of the day you take it.

Okay back the truck up. I thought many did post workout protein/carb shakes to help bring down cortisol levels that elevate during exercise. Is that not the case? Learn me!

Cortisol, leptin, Growth Hormone, insulin, IGF-1, ghrelin, PPY, adrenaline, noradrenaline etc..

who cares... calories in vs calories out.

Want to add mass, eat above your TDEE, if you want to lose mass, eat under your TDEE. that's all that matters.

I'm not sold. I think macros make a world of difference if you stick to them.

Please elaborate.

Why? So we can argue? No thanks.

No, I've been stuck for a few months now (mostly a discipline thing more than anything else), but I need to shift my focus anyway for race season. I've been doing a lot of thinking about macros, processed foods, etc.

I'm genuinely interested if you mean good macros with a disregard to total cals vs good macros as part of a reasonable calorie intake.
  • Glock9x19
    Glock9x19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is great right after a workout (within 45 minutes of the workout you should be consuming fast digesting protein like whey or isolate).

Protein Powder should be used to reach your protein macro goal and it does not matter what time of the day you take it.

Okay back the truck up. I thought many did post workout protein/carb shakes to help bring down cortisol levels that elevate during exercise. Is that not the case? Learn me!

Cortisol, leptin, Growth Hormone, insulin, IGF-1, ghrelin, PPY, adrenaline, noradrenaline etc..

Want to add mass, eat above your TDEE, if you want to lose mass, eat under your TDEE. that's all that matters.

Please elaborate.

I'm sure he wants you to elaborate because when you go to articulate your opinion, you're likely to find that you don't have any foundation by which to dispel this: "Want to add mass, eat above your TDEE, if you want to lose mass, eat under your TDEE. that's all that matters." It's easier to help people understand things when you let them arrive at the conclusion on own, etc.
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    You don't need to buy any protein shakes. Yes, post workout it is best to take a Carb/protein supplement to restore muscle glycogen sites, as well as decrease amino acid breakdown at the muscle, but you don't need a major protein powder to do that. 8-16fl oz of chocolate milk is always a great way to supplement post workout. With a 3-1 carb to protein ratio, insulin released to do the carb presence will help shuttle in protein to muscle cells. This will increase muscle synthesis and reduce soreness post workouts. Here's some research as well to follow up on the topic, hope it helps!!

http://www.nsca.com/ContentTemplates/PublicationArticleDetail.aspx?id=2147485547

http://www.nsca.com/ContentTemplates/PublicationArticleDetail.aspx?id=2002
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    You don't need to buy any protein shakes. Yes, post workout it is best to take a Carb/protein supplement to restore muscle glycogen sites, as well as decrease amino acid breakdon at the muscle, but you don't need a major protein powder to do that. 8-16fl oz of chocolate milk is always a great way to supplement post workout. With a 3-1 carb to protein ratio, insulin released to do the carb presence will help shuttle in protein to muscle cells. This will increase muscle synthesis and reduce soreness post workouts. Here's some research as well to follow up on the topic, hope it helps!!

http://www.nsca.com/ContentTemplates/PublicationArticleDetail.aspx?id=2147485547

http://www.nsca.com/ContentTemplates/PublicationArticleDetail.aspx?id=2002
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not necessary. I use it because I have trouble meeting my protein requirements without it. Heck! I have trouble meeting my requirements with it too but I do what I can.

This ^^ I started using whey because I had trouble meeting a 25% protein goal. But it made me constipated, even with a daily probiotic. I tried a couple of vegan powders but didn't like the consistency. Finally I just went back to food and now eat a lot more edamame. It's too bad because I liked the taste of the chocolate whey I bought. When mixed with soy milk it reminded me of the Ovaltine I used to drink as a child.
  • SteveSprawl
    SteveSprawl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    According to consumer reports most protein powders contain a fair amount of arsenic. Others have been heated in the production process and therefore their nutritional value has been destroyed. I have stopped taking protein powders and use organic eggs, chic peas, organic chicken with better results, no bloating/digestive problems.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, a vanilla whey protein isolate is probably a good way to get your feet wet. I say vanilla because it will work with a wider variety of additives (fruits, for example) than chocolate, and the taste will be more palatable than non-flavored powders. Also look for a microfiltered powder, not heat processed, as heat denatures the protein and makes it essentially useless. If money is not a huge concern, you can worry about things like the source of the whey (does it come from grass-fed, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, cow's milk?), whether it has added sugar or artificial sweeteners, low-carb, etc.

This is the powder I use: http://www.bluebonnetnutrition.com/product/41/100%_Natural_Whey_Protein_Isolate_Powder

Around here, I can get it at Whole Foods and other natural grocery stores for around $50 per container (roughly 28 scoops).

I really don't have any trouble getting enough protein from whole foods, and for a very long time, I refused to even consider powder, but the brand I use is 100% natural, so I don't feel like I'm putting fake stuff in my body, and it definitely is more convenient when I need something fast.

I believe I was just reading that the denatured/undenatured argument is not really valid anymore, the break down of proteins from high heat is irrelevant.

Like everyone else said, the protein powder is simply a quick/easy replacement for a whole food source like chicken, eggs, etc. Generally it should be low in all other macros and high in protein. Some of the EAS stuff has more carbs and sugar than you find in other powders.

Whey protein is superior to Soy protein. Whey has what they call a higher biological value (BV) and protein efficiency ratio (PER)meaning that you actually get more of the protein from it than Soy when absorbed through the body. The levels of protein quality go in order Isolate > Concentrate > Hydrolysates. You pay more for Whey Isolate because it is 90-95% protein. However, the Isolate also removes all of the beneficial factors that improve immunity, intestinal health, and other positive overall health benefits that are found in a cheaper Concentrate (70-80% protein).

BV Of Common Proteins
    • Whey=104
    • Whole egg=100
    • Cow milk=91
    • Egg white=88
    • Beef=80
    • Casein=77
    • Soy=74
    • Beans=49

Taste will be personal preference. Here are some options I found the other day for a friend.

I've got 4 different ones, ranging in price from $15.98 to $26.98 for a 2lb container. If you take 1 scoop EVERY day these should last about 28-32 days. Flavors and taste will vary per person, I did find an overall Taste rating on Bodybuilder.com so I included that. The Body Fortress is the worst tasting, also the cheapest.

EAS is rated at 7.6 - 8 on taste for comparison. My trainer has me taking the Syntrax Matrix, it's what she has been using for years as a bodybuilder. I think they taste pretty good, the only one I didn't like is the Perfect Chocolate, but a lot of other people like that flavor. Syntrax Matrix is a whey concentrate with a blend of different types of protein, whey, casein, egg which absorbs fast, medium, and delayed. Optimum Nutrition is very well known and used by tons of bodybuilders, so you can't go wrong with it. It is a whey isolate. GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion is recommended by bodybuilders too, usually it's a cheaper price, but I found the Optimum Nutrition cheaper on that site. I think any of these will work for you.

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Vanilla 1.95 LB @ $15.98
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-2lb-Vanilla-Whey-Protein/10322404
    Protein: 30g / Calories: 170 / Carbs: 7 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 7.8 for Vanilla, 6.8 for Chocolate

SYNTRAX Matrix 2.0 Cookies and Cream 2.16 lbs @ $20.57
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/syntrax-matrix_20.htm
    Protein: 23g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 3 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 9+ for any flavor, Cookies & Cream is tasty

OPTIMUM NUTRITION 100% Whey Protein - Gold Standard @ $24.99
    Banana Cream 2 lbs
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/optimum_nutrition-100_percent_whey_protein_gold_st.htm
    Protein: 24g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 4 / Sugar 1g
    Taste Rating: Vanilla Ice Cream is lowest at 7.9, all others 8.2-9.1 (Milk Chocolate or Mocha)

GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion Elite Protein Series 2lbs @ $26.89
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/gaspari_nutrition-myofusion_elite_protein_series.htm
    Protein: 25g / Calories: 150 / Carbs: 5 / Sugar <1g
    Taste Rating: 9.1 for Strawberries & Cream, 8.6 Peanut Butter, 8.0 Vanilla, 7.7 Milk Chocolate
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    RE: That "Magic 30-60 Minute window to get you Protein"

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths

It's been stated already, Calories vs Calories out..

I will also say this though - Real food is always better, Protein shakes should be a supplement - to supplement a GOOD diet short on protein.

How on earth do so many people struggle to hit such low protein targets!? 2 decent chicken breasts rack in at close to 70ish grams of Protein alone!!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    How on earth do so many people struggle to hit such low protein targets!? 2 decent chicken breasts rack in at close to 70ish grams of Protein alone!!

Depends on your target, mine is around 230g. There's only so much chicken I care to eat, :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My goal is 100 g per day (25% of my daily) and I don't like chicken enough to eat it every day. I have increased my meat intake to meet my goal without shakes, but mostly I eat fish.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Depends on your target, mine is around 230g. There's only so much chicken I care to eat, :laugh:

Yeah, I'm on a similar target myself, comment was more at those struggling on sub 100g per day!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble reaching your protein targets you would benefit from a protein shake. The type of protein is up to you as there are many isolates and blends.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

People here have different diets and food preferences. I am vegetarian, but even before I was, two chicken breasts was never appetizing to me.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the additional information, article links, and healthy debate that's taking place in this thread. It's definitely helping me to clarify what I want to do! Thanks.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Please elaborate.

No, I've been stuck for a few months now (mostly a discipline thing more than anything else), but I need to shift my focus anyway for race season. I've been doing a lot of thinking about macros, processed foods, etc.

I'm genuinely interested if you mean good macros with a disregard to total cals vs good macros as part of a reasonable calorie intake.

Cals in /out works. But, it works better if you also pay attention to your macros. At least, that is my opinion. When I get the "right" nutrients in the proper ratios, I get results. The ratios can be anything you set up. But, all that is within a prescribed calorie limit also. It works together, IMO. But, I'm not really an expert. It's more important as you hit your goal and want to shave off fat, as an example, but not concerned with weight. You can eat at maintennace, but change your macros and you will get the results you want,.

Gotcha, thanks. That's what I've always thought as well... just wanted to make sure I was understanding things correctly.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I like the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein, Double Rich Chocolate. Get the 2lb first to try and if you like it get the large tub. Amazon has it for $27 for the 2lb. Peel bananas and cut them in half and then put them in the freezer. In the blender throw 1 to 2 halves of the frozen bananas and 1-2 scoops of the protein, along with cold water or milk. Let it blend at least 1 minute and it makes a great shake.
  • JCrossFit
    JCrossFit Posts: 1
    Options
    There have been recent studies showing high levels of metal contamination in many protein powders, also other popular brands didn't have as much protein as stated on the container. The only brand that came out to be legit and the only brand I trust to use is Optimum Nutrition. You can see the articles and research here: http://on-whey-protein-powder.weebly.com/

Personally I always order the 5lb Double Rich Chocolate and the 2lb Vanilla just to change it up. I also use Coconut milk to get my healthy fats and I love the taste.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It makes hitting macros easier... that's about it.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It honestly just makes hitting your protein macro faster while adding a few calories, umm I dont know what the forum rules are but a couple of sites based on bodybuilding !!! .com have specials I usually buy my preworkout and get 8lbs of protein for 60 bucks not a bad deal honestly so far so good