SO SORE (I feel like I can't move!) *30 Day Shred Related*

Options
13»

Replies

• soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I push through it and then take a rest day on the 5th or 6th day. I agree with the suggestions to go for an easy walk before or after the shred.

I use differnt weights for the various excercises... 5's(front raises wth the lounges), 8's(chest press/fly), or 12's(squat and press).
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You need to push through the soreness. The best part is, when you start exercising the soreness starts to dull a bit.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    1. Foam roller
    2. hot bath soaks
    3. BCAA's & Glutamine
    4. Stay mobile... sitting is your enemy.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My advice: Carefully plan rest days! Muscle repair and growth occurs during rest days, so taking them is valuable. I personally never work out on more than three consecutive days, but that's only because my schedule allows it. Don't worry, as you get in better shape, the soreness will lessen (or at least become more tolerable).
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential for two reasons. One, it allows your muscles to repair and two, if you are in that much pain (as I was!) you won't be doing the moves effectively anyway and could injure yourself.

Days 2 and 3 seem to be the worst. Jillian doesn't do those stretches at the end for long enough. I would say hold them for 15 seconds, she barely holds them for five. Do some different stretches and then walk around/ do some small chores to work it off, don't just flop on the nearest chair, however tempting :) And make sure you have enough protein - mfp is notoriously low with protein numbers so go over. I've been taking whey protein this time around and am no-where near as sore as the first time I attempted it. Dont give up :)

Edited to add: I try to do Shred 4 times a week - take weekends off as I do a lot of walking then anyway, and a rest day in the week.
  • Ntoriousydc
    Ntoriousydc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    according to my trainer, the 2nd day is the worst because your muscles are healing from the trauma you put them through. Most especially, if you have not been exercising regularly before.

so should you rest after day 1 or continue? :(
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving! When you first start any exercise there is going to be pain no matter how much you stretch. The more you move those muscles the better you'll feel. Stick with it and push through it. Eventually that pain WILL go away. Make sure you stretch it out. I find I'm the most sore after my body has been idle for a long time. Once I actually start the workout and my body gets moving the pain subsides. I always feel better after my workout. Then after a week or two you probably won't have any pain at all as your body get used to the exercises!!! Keep on truckin'!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I am not overweight but apparently out of shape! I am not sure what to do. I am only on Day 2 of The 30 Day Shred and my muscles are so sore I am having trouble moving around today! Any ideas what to do to soothe my poor muscles? I do the warm up exercises before and the cool down stretches after! I don't want to have to give up on Day 3 but I feel like I won't be able to move at all tomorrow at this point!

30 day shred is not meant to be done everyday. It's ok to take a rest day or 2 and let your body heal.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options

30 day shred is not meant to be done everyday. It's ok to take a rest day or 2 and let your body heal.

This. Jillian said, in an article that I read, that "30Days Shred" was the name the marketing people came up with--she does not recommend doing it every day for 30 days. You should not work the same muscle groups everyday without resting them. Do 30DS every other day or at least rest every 3rd day if you want to avoid injury.
  • brenna8806
    brenna8806 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hot showers.
    Ibuprofen before bed & 30 min before a workout.
    Stretching!
    Rest day at least once a week.
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day! As someone else said stretch out for longer than they do on the DVD I don't find it anywhere near enough. Try protein I always thought it was a load of rubbish until I tired it, seriously makes a huge difference for me ..... I cycle to work so now use protein shake as part of my breakfast my legs thank me for it.

Brace yourself for level 2 you can and will do it if you want it :)
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    Yes, being sore is tough! other than stretching before and after a workout, I personally will take an Anti-Inflammatory pill before going to bed; it works for me. :)
  • EOHerrera
    EOHerrera Posts: 45
    Options
    I did it last week. I got to day 5 and now I have a partial tear in my meniscus. I started feeling pain during jumping jacks and stopped doing that. I guess little ol' level one was TOO much on my legs. For my health and safety, I will not be going forward with the rest of 30DS. I will tell you that I felt like I was dying after the first 2 workouts (so day 2 and 3). By the 4th day, I was okay. No pain whatsoever. But I had a majorly hard time going up/down stairs and sitting on a toilet, lol! I just won't do this workout anymore because I am not risking a serious injury over a silly DVD. I will stick with cardio and strength training at the gym.

^^^
    This!! I did the first 3 days and experienced the same type of pain - so I put it aside. My left knee recovered - but not my right knee! I ended up having to wear a brace for over a month on it for normal every day activity (I work in an office so NOT labor-intense) of just walking. I was really angry because I had also started a running program a month prior and was really loving it, nad had to give it up and am just now able to start back at the beginning of it, having been able to be without the brace for three weeks now. I had never had knee problems or a knee injury in the past and I had done circuit training, elliptical trainers, running with no problems. I ditched 30DS - and I NEVER plan on doing it again! Matter of fact, I plan on warning everyone I hear talking about it of this very problem!!
  • ankitadsharma
    Options
    i could not complete it. i gave up on day 1 after the 1st circuit. yesterday was day 1. i want to start it today again!