Falling back into an ED....

Options
**may be triggering to anyone struggling with an eating disorder**

Hey all, I am new to MFP and just need some support right now. I am not much of a dieter, for the simple reason that any time I try to diet I start starving myself/throwing up whatever I do it. However, I really need to start losing some weight. I am at an unhealthy weight right now (5'5", 156lbs), and an really unhappy with it. (Should probably add, this is baby weight. I gained a LOT during my pregnancy, because of some health issues.) I am trying to start dieting, but afraid to fall back into the old routine. Does anyone else struggle with this? How do you deal?

I can't talk to anyone in my life about this, for a couple reasons. 1, most people don't know I struggled with anorexia/bulimia (or at least never said anything to me about it), and 2, I am afraid that if I fall off the diet wagon it would be hard to face them.

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think telling someone face to face who knows YOU is EXACTLY what you need. They can help keep you responsible, positive, in check, and would never think less of you for trying to improve your health, even if you hit a few speed bumps along the way.

I personally have never struggled with a disorder, so I can't help you on a personal level, but I do strongly believe a physical support system in your day to day life would help greatly.

Good luck!
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Kudo's for wanting to try again. With your history, seek a nutritionist/dietician to set up a meal plan. Then do the same with a persona trainer. Tell your environment so they keep an eye on you.

Good luck!
  • mlerel
    mlerel Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a mia survivor and I know exactly how you feel . My solution is to keep in close contact with my therapist. She helped me get into recovery in the first place, and is now really helping me stay the course. Here are a few things she has told me.

1) try not to become obsessed. Eating is not the biggest part of your life (even if it feels like it)
    2) Don't beat yourself up. Rome wasn't built in a day, this stuff takes time. Don't be mad if you don't see results as fast as you want to.
    3) In the long run, ana/mia makes you so unhealthy. This is about health, not appearance.

Luckily, by boyfriend is also supper supportive. He checks up on me a lot, and helps me stay in check.

Good luck! Hope this helped