Breakfast makes me utterly ravenous

Options
totem12
totem12 Posts: 194 Member
I generally like to eat a good breakfast (boiled eggs + greek yoghurt and raspberries at the minute), however I'm finding that even though I leave the house at 8am full up I'm ready to eat a horse by 9am. I try to snack on fruit at my work coffee break around 11am but sometimes I get so hungry I have to cave and get a load of crisps. Is this just my metabolism being speedy? Any tips for mid morning snacks/breakfasts that keep you full for longer?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Buy a good protein bar, have that as a snack when you get hungry, should keep you plenty full until lunch.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this is going to sound nuts, but here is what I do now because I used to have the exact same problem.

- I workout to a video in the morning on an empty stomach. By the time I'm done with my shower afterwards, I'm ready to eat my arm so I eat my gummy vitamins and fiber gummies.
    - Before leaving the house, I eat a piece of fruit (usually a banana or an organe).
    - Then I weigh out and take half a serving of almonds with me to work. It takes an hour for the fruit to wear off and for me to feel hungry again. Then I eat my almonds. The added fats and protein in them carries me through to lunch.

I also be sure to drink water (usually a LOT of water) after my coffee is gone. According to my coffee pot, I drink 8 cups with a 1/2 cup of almond milk split throughout to act as creamer.

So I guess, my advice is to split your breakfast up into chunks so you're eating the same amount of calories but spread out over a longer period of time.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found if I have just protein and fruit that I am hungry. I usually add a carb with fiber like oatmeal, quinoa, chia seeds or 100% whole wheat toast. The carbs give me the staying power to make it to lunch.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Combining might help - I know I have the same problem if I just eat porridge, but I might try eggs with toast and save my yoghurt and fruit for snack?
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try eating a bigger breakfast. We have been conditioned to think breakfast is a light meal, lunch medium, and dinner the biggest. It should be the opposite. There is a saying "eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a princess and dinner like a pauper".

Your breakfast is the first thing that fuels you for the day, and if you eat a big breakfast, you know that will get burned off throughout the day, so you don't need to worry about that. Then have a snack in the morning if you want it, but you shouldn't be starving before lunch, just hungry around lunchtime. Your lunch should be able to fuel you until dinner, with a snack in between if you want/need it. Unless you do a lot of activity after dinner, that's the meal that won't necessarily get burned off, so you want it to be the lightest one. Obviously if you are active after dinner, you will want more, to fuel you.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way...so now I split it up into two sessions! Currently I am eating 6 oz. plain greek yogurt, quartered strawberries and kind granola at about 9am then at 10am a portion of blue diamond sea salt almonds instead of eating it all at once.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Might sound crazy but I had the same problem. I just stopped having breakfast and I was no longer hungry till around 1 or 2 pm.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Flip your meals maybe, a heavy breakfast, medium size lunch and a light supper. It might be a way to get through the day or another alternative is to eat through out the day, smaller meals more often.

You could also be eating too little and your body is telling you that by becoming ravenous and trying to get you to eat more. Or could be like me where my body loves to eat and used to tell me so until I did a few days of daylight fasting and eating at night and now I find myself hungry first thing, I eat something even if it is small and then the rest of the day I don't get hungry I just eat because I know I need to.

Hope you find an option that works for you :)
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and oatmeal.
  • Liz71459
    Liz71459 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know the general rule is eat a hearty breakfast because it is the most important meal of the day but whenever I do that I find that I am the same way-hungry very soon after. When I only have a piece of fruit such as grapefruit, strawberries or grapes and a cup of coffee I make it to lunch without a problem. Not sure why.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    no breakfast or lunch for me just coffee and water till dinner
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Breakfast ruins me. If I eat anything major it sends me searching for more and more. I have to keep it small until about 11 am.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Might sound crazy but I had the same problem. I just stopped having breakfast and I was no longer hungry till around 1 or 2 pm.

Not crazy - that's how it works for me too.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Your stomach does not have a built in calculator. It does not know how to divide your calories throughout the day. So when you eat, your natural urge is to eat until your stomach is literally full. How do current fitness pros get around this? They drink 1 or 2 full glasses of water before every single meal, no exceptions. Honestly, that really sucks as I've tried it before since you're constantly going to the restroom. The other, more sane option that is easier on your bladder is to simply skip breakfast and lunch or just breakfast. Eat a larger meal at dinner.

• dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the splitting up your breakfast - I also do this. I eat at 7:30 and then again at 10am... and lunch at a normal time. Maybe that will help!
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Not crazy - that's how it works for me too.

Me to!! I rarely eat breakfast mainly because it means I eat way more that day as once I've had breakfast I'm hungry all day!!!