Running Won't Help You Lose Weight?

Options
Reading this article today -- can't say I'm terribly surprised, but it is a bit of a downer to think of physical exercise as good for your health, but not necessarily the main factor in getting into better shape.

http://beta.active.com/a3_articles/c9d1380f-ce51-4621-bdf2-cc337ca05b1f?page=1

Anyone have a different experience? The same?

Replies

• Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's fairly widely accepted now that the man factor in weight loss is diet, not exercise.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 65 lb's and his main exercise is running. Of course he looked at his diet as well but he is very sedentary other than his running. He works from home so doesn't even need to leave the house each day.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help you lose but it REALLY chnges your body. Totally worth it
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It's fairly widely accepted now that the man factor in weight loss is diet, not exercise.

^ This. Exercise of any form is fantastic but weight loss comes down to a caloric deficit.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Not a very well written article, IMO.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise for fitness.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

^ This. Exercise of any form is fantastic but weight loss comes down to a caloric deficit.

Yup. From what I've read, exercise can help give you marginal calorie burns, but the majority of your deficit (and therefore weight loss) comes down to diet. Different types of exercise have other benefits, strength, cardiovascular etc. So they are definitely crucial to overall fitness.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Running will certainly help you lose weight.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    its not saying that running wont help, this poorly written article is mainly saying is the general weight loss rule 80% diet, 20% exercise or whatever similar breakdown you've heard. its not the only the truth its common sense.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Running won't help you lose weight. Running helps make you awesome!
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you can lose fat by calorie restriction alone, yes, but running does AMAZING things for your body. i would know (when i started i couldn't run more than 3 minutes without thinking i'd die and i was winded from 1 flight of stairs... now, stairs are no problem and i am running 3.5 ish miles and looking to increase).

also, running has helped to develop the look of my legs.

so either way, i would definitely recommend running or another exercise along with calorie restriction.

woohhh :)
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    With my eating/drinking habits I should weigh a lot more. I credit running 6-8 miles a day to keeping the weight I lost off.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

^^^this (although running and diet have helped me lose weight)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

It's helped me lose weight AND be awesome! Yay!
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think being healthy and fit is so much more than just loosing weight!I agree exercise wont loose weight alone you have to work on diet also!But it certainly does wonders for how good you feel! you could be very thin unfit and unhealthy also you can be overweight and very fit,it needs a balance!But you can run for ever or indeed do whatever it is you do,you wont loose weight on a terrible diet!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that burning calories, in any manner, would not help you lose weight.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes Diet is more important than excercise, but if you happen to catch the running bug, you have more energy, you WANT to workout, and sometimes you even WANT to eat healthy. For example, I just ran my first half marathon and training for that inspired me to eat healthy for the last few months leading up to my half marathon, and because of that I lost 10 lbs. Now I want to keep it off so I can stay lean and get faster!

I think it's great for you not only physically but mentally too!

So pretty much running is AWESOME and everyone should do it!!!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the running put you in a caloric deficit...therefore causing you to lose weight?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that burning calories, in any manner, would not help you lose weight.

This..................
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

As long as you're burning enough cals to put you into a deficit.