Extra Calories

Options
I went way over on calories (like by 1,000) in one day. Is it okay to cut out an extra 200 calories every day the rest of the week to make up for it? Will it balance out my day over or do I need to stick with the plan and forget yesterday?

Replies

• newlywed07
    Options
    I went way over on calories (like by 1,000) in one day. Is it okay to cut out an extra 200 calories every day the rest of the week to make up for it? Will it balance out my day over or do I need to stick with the plan and forget yesterday?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Will those 200 calories put you under 1200 a day? If so, then No! don't kill your metabolism - just call it a week and start all over again. and Eat your exercise calories!!
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    Yah I would do the -200 calories you suggested. I have spoken with nutritionist and actually, it is 1000 calories which keep starvation mode at bay.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    The amount before you go into starvation mode is based on your daily activity level, your height and weight, etc thought I have seen both the 1200 and 1000 numbers - so I think that you can go into starvation mode at a different calorie level than I could... If you want to cut back for the week you can, but really, overall it does not matter. You can even just put in an extra 10 mins a day at the gym (still eat those calories though becuase you will still get boost to your metabolism). I have also read about blowing a day on your "diet" actually helping to boost your metabolism by schocking your system more or less. Someone else posted about changing up your diet for a week and going over a couple days and under a couple days to just get your body out of a slump. I think short term it does not matter... just don't do it long term (I am sure there is debate about where "long term" starts :wink: )

Overall I would just let it go and concentrate on where you are now... we all have those days and part of the support on this site seems to be helping to just let those days go :wink:
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yah I would do the -200 calories you suggested. I have spoken with nutritionist and actually, it is 1000 calories which keep starvation mode at bay.

Holy Hell - I am SICK of hearing of 1000 to 1200 calories!

The BMR of a 25yo female, that is 5'0", and 105lbs is 1270 calories. If she is a normal active person, throw on another 300 to 500 calories depending on her job and life style.

The BMR of a 21yo female that is 4'6", and weighs 75lbs is 1125 calories.

The BMR of a 35yo female that is 5'10" and weighs 180lbs is 1594.

The BMR of a 38yo male that is 6'2" and weighs 190 is 1959 (mine). I have a moderate activity level so use about 500 more calories per day.

Can we get to the point that 1000 or 1200 ONLY works for a VERY small population of people and SHOULD not be mentioned! Especially in forums where we dont know each other size and weight!!!

The 1200 calorie minimum is BS! We all work out HARD to GAIN muscle and LOSE fat and end up losing WEIGHT! You can lose weight by losing Muscle. But those muscles are your little factories to raise your metabolism and BURN more calories EVERYDAY! If you put your body in starvation mode, your going to end up losing Muscle (easier to burn than fat and your body is storing for the long haul of "my owner may never feed me enough again").
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

The BMR of a 25yo female, that is 5'0", and 105lbs is 1270 calories. If she is a normal active person, throw on another 300 to 500 calories depending on her job and life style.

The BMR of a 38yo male that is 6'2" and weighs 190 is 1959 (mine). I have a moderate activity level so use about 500 more calories per day.

Can we get to the point that 1000 or 1200 ONLY works for a VERY small population of people and SHOULD not be mentioned! Especially in forums where we dont know each other size and weight!!!

The 1200 calorie minimum is BS! We all work out HARD to GAIN muscle and LOSE fat and end up losing WEIGHT! You can lose weight by losing Muscle. But those muscles are your little factories to raise your metabolism and BURN more calories EVERYDAY! If you put your body in starvation mode, your going to end up losing Muscle (easier to burn than fat and your body is storing for the long haul of "my owner may never feed me enough again").

I agree! I tried to go with 1,200 and was starving!! I never eat under 1400 on the days that I don't exercise or I feel like crap and get really cranky (1200 was recommended here). Don't adjust for the rest of the week. Your body does not work that way. Forget about it and continue on to the next day like normal.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

1908407applaus6zz.gif
  • shorerider
    Options
    I hate it when it does this multiple post thing :grumble:
  • shorerider
    Options
    :grumble:
  • shorerider
    Options
  • shorerider
    Options
  • neha
    neha Posts: 67
    Options
    I ate 600 extra calories.
    Following 2 days, I ate 640 calories, that was short by 600 calorie to my daily need.
    Nothing happened. So.. It does not work. :frown:
    Am still trying to get back on track. I gained 1 kg overnight.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Following 2 days, I ate 640 calories, that was short by 600 calorie to my daily need.

Not sure what you are trying to say here....but if you only ate 640 calories for a day, then you need to reread Tim's post above.

And 1 kg overnight is nothing to worry about--if you gained it overnight, then it is water/fluid weight and will go away.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Not sure what you are trying to say here....but if you only ate 640 calories for a day, then you need to reread Tim's post above.

And 1 kg overnight is nothing to worry about--if you gained it overnight, then it is water/fluid weight and will go away.

I think she was saying that she ate OVER 600 one day and tried to make up the next 2 days by shorting her calories and that it didn't work. :smile:

My weight fluctuates always up and down .05 to 1 kg., so it's true that's nothing to worry about.
  • timisw
    Options

Dont look at ANY of this as SHORT TERM.

If you ate 600 calories for 30 days, YOU would do some serious dammage to your body. YOU would lose weight. YOU would still have a little fat left, but your muscles would take MONTHS to rebuild.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700&page=1#posts-52578

This goes back to Bank's DONT LOOK at the scale philosphy!

1Kg could be 1L of water!

I cannot imagine the size of someone that only needs 600 calories a day. Let me guess.... Your small and trying to lose 2lbs a week?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Go Tim!! As a 5'10" female I am with you on this!! I cannot fathom subsisting on 1200 cals a day.
  • neha
    neha Posts: 67
    Options
    thx for guiding me. am back to normal. it was a bad pizza i ate. even my fiance had weight issues and gas overnight. Dunno, why was it a problem, as the ingredients were fresh n made in front of us.
    Thx again.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    This is the best forum yet. I have a friend who is 6' 250 lbs. Her sister who is 5'6" and 130 lbs told her to eat 1200 cals a day and go to the gym. I really didnt enjoy visiting her in the hospital.

The same sis had lipo last week.....ON WHAT!!!!

Point is we have to pay attention to the food and exercise and eat our calories. It is a slooooooow process but eventually it will work.

I have lost nothing in 3 weeks since starting a daily work out schedule, but guess what my old jeans fit....a full size smaller. So there is that muscle vs fat theory.
  • timisw
    Options
    Some of those nutritionist remind me quite often about those people in the "So You Think You Can Dance" auditions. The very much "non-dancers" state that they are professionally trained and that their trainer said they would do REALLY good on their show.

Instead it just happened to be someone swindling their money.

Any nutritionist that recommends drastic calorie reduction (when compared to BMR, Exercise, Activity Level), is one of those "swindlers". I dont think you should ever try to lose more than 20% of your Calorie per day (do not include exercise). If your Calorie is 1250, you should be on .5lbs per week. If your Calorie intake is 2500, then you can be on a plan to lose 1lb per week. If your not at a level to be greater than 2500, you shouldn't be trying to lose 2lbs per week!

Wish some of the people that "dont believe" could JUST simply pay attention to "Biggest Losers" and how they attack weight loss.

Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!