Birth Control and Weight Loss/Gain

Options
Okay, I've been trying (mostly halfheartedly) to lose weight for several years now, and I've just recently (read: within the last 4 months) become sexually active. I know that I'm not doing well with taking my depression medication (yes I also have a strong family history of depression as well as having it myself) every day, much less at the same time every day, so the Pill is right out. I researched alternate methods of birth control and it seems like every hormonal form of BC comes with a warning about weight fluctuation or gain, however, the method I have selected as the safest and most suited to my lifestyle, the Depo-Provera shot, has a significant history of weight gain with its patients. I DON'T want to get fatter!!!! ...but I don't want to be a mom yet either, so....I guess it's not a real choice. My doctor says that even though the predicted gain is supposedly 5-10 lbs, she's seen more like 20-30 as the norm. I'm over here freaking out...has anyone had an experience with the shot that DIDN'T cause enormous weight gain?????

Replies

• Becky_Boop
    Becky_Boop Posts: 96
    Options
    I've been on the pill for about two years and gained about 20lbs! (though that was partly due to it causing a hormonal imbalance and making me have symptoms of depression which lead to me excersising less and eating more). As long as you stay on track with eating and excersise any gain will be minimal, and I'm sure it's better than having a baby! x
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I have been on it for about 3 years now and didnt gain anything from it. Actaully the first month I was on it i lost 20 pounds! My doctor told me that it increases appetite therefore people eat more then usual without realizing it. As long as you keep track you should be fine.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It will be different for everyone.
    I gained about 15 lbs. on it. Come to think of it, I'd be at my goal weight if I lost those 15 lbs. again.
    I won't go off of it until I'm ready to have kids, though.
  • Emmea2729
    Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i had a freak out over birth control and weight gain not too long back.
    i went on the pill almost 3 months ago, and so far, there hasn't been any real gain or loss. i have found though, that its harder to shift weight. it's still coming off, but where as before the pill i lost about 7 pounds in 3 weeks (before the pill) and then since i joined this site after starting the pill i've only lost 3 pounds it must be having some effect.
    i think it's just trial and error. find one that suits you, without drastic side effects... good luck x
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo-Provera between my first and second child for about 18 months. I didn't gain any weight at all. I did ,however, find myself feeling hungry most of the time. I just fought the urge to eat high calorie foods. There were a lot of watermelons and cucumbers eaten during that stage of my life...lol.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Depo for the past 7 years.

Yes, I have gained weight in this time (obviously why I'm on MFP! hehe) but none in the first 3 years, so it's much more of a lifestyle thing than something I can blame on the contraception!

Everyone is different and you may find you do have a little gain...but I really do recommend it...the pro's far and away outweigh the cons! :happy:
  • Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you guys for your helpful and quick responses!!! I'm gonna go ahead with the Depo I think, I just needed some real human evidence that I wouldn't automatically balloon, lol! Thanks so much!!!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on the shot, but I was recently on Loestrin 24. It made my appetite insane, so I did gain a little weight. I quit after a month and a half or so, though. I have also been on Ortho Tri Cyclen in the past and didn't have any appetite or weight problems.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I've tried both the pill and NuvaRing. I didn't really notice a weight change any of the times I started/changed methods, so I really think it is different for everybody. I think your lifestyle choices will have much more effect.
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    My very bestest friend was on depo for the better part of her teen years and into her twenties. She put on about 40lbs and devoloped a hormone imbalance. I am not saying that this is all because of depo, but her dr. put her on the nuva-ring a couple months ago, she has lost 25lbs and is much more sane. I have been on Mirena for almost three years and haven't had a single issue.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Every pill is different, just as every woman is different. You really do just have to try and see what works for you eventually. I had pills that made me gain, pills that gave me acne, and finally a pill that worked. Then, after my daughter was born, I went to NuvaRing. I have to say I love this!. No real weight gain (well - not any that's the ring's fault), no acne. No remembering. Good luck with whatever you decide.