Is hitting a punching bag good cardio?

Options
Celebi03
Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
Kicking it, punching it! Is it good cardio?

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I attend a ladies kickboxing class and while we are actively punching/kicking the bag, my Bodymedia Fit says I am burning 10-15 calories a minute, and it classifies the activity as vigorous. So yes, if you are putting in a substantial effort, boxing and kickboxing is excellent,lent cardio, not to mention a great stress reliever, and you look cool doing it! So many wins! :glasses:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    yeah totally! just hit like you mean it! :D
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    no. because it's not cardio. unless you do it really slowly and don't put any force behind the punches and kicks. then it can be considered cardio.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Hellz yeah
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    no. because it's not cardio. unless you do it really slowly and don't put any force behind the punches and kicks. then it can be considered cardio.

What are you smoking, dude?

If it gets your heart rate up, it's cardio. Wanna guess where the word comes from?

So yes, OP, it is cardio, and very good cardio, too.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

If it gets your heart rate up, it's cardio. Wanna guess where the word comes from?

Thank you!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I really want to start kickboxing soon.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Not as good as hitting a stupid person but it works
  • MissMegannLee
    MissMegannLee Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Since when is it not cardio? You are moving constantly while kicking, and hitting a punching bag. It is very vigorous cardio. Who ever told you it wasn't cardio, lied.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Are you breathing hard and sweating?
  • phjorg1
    Options

When you lift weights, your heartreate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you're scared, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you are in a hot place, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

you do understand that anything using fast twitch muscle fibers uses the ATP-CP and lactic acid energy systems to do work right? that means by definition, NOT cardio.

Cardio is ONLY when your body is doing slower low impact stuff that uses Type I muscle.

Boxing and kickboxing and the like CAN be cardio. As long as you're not giving it your all punching and go slow and weak enough to last for a while without tiring. Otherwise if you do it in regards to sets and failure, you're doing the equivalent of sprinting.

Here's a hint. If you're feeling lactic acid buildup, then it's not cardio, as by definition you're using your lactic acid energy system.
  • phjorg1
    Options

Since when is it not cardio? You are moving constantly while kicking, and hitting a punching bag. It is very vigorous cardio. Who ever told you it wasn't cardio, lied.
    is sprinting cardio? hint: no.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Facepalm. Have you ever tried boxing, if that's not cardio I don't know what is.

So OP - yes definitely cardio. Try mixing up with different patterns, variation between power and speed, moving your feet around in-between punches to hit different sides of the bag, incorporating ducks (squats) and skip outs (like you have a real opponent that is trying to hit you back).
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's cardio or not. I just know I feel about 110% better afterward, and it doesn't send me to jail like it would if I were to nail a real person the way I go after a bag, LOL... :glasses:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

It takes quite an impressive effort to say something that stands out as really dumb on this site, and you have managed it twice in short order. Congrats.

Boxing is probably one of the most intense and effective forms of cardio you can do.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more. Great cardio. Beat that bag like it owes you money!!
    It takes quite an impressive effort to say something that stands out as really dumb on this site, and you have managed it twice in short order. Congrats.

Boxing is probably one of the most intense and effective forms of cardio you can do.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    It's sad so many people here have no idea what cardio is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise

"Aerobic exercise (also known as cardio) is physical exercise of relatively low intensity that depends primarily on the aerobic energy-generating process."

Now, what part of punching and kicking exactly meets that description??? Lets go a little bit further into this wormhole and see what non cardio definitions entail...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise (hint: NOT cardio)
    ok, they don't list any exercises, but lets see what boxing websites say...
    http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym1.htm

"Boxing is largely a fast paced, anaerobic event. You win fights by throwing punches. Punches are thrown at top speed. The term anaerobic means to conduct an activity without oxygen. Anaerobic exercise, like boxing, stresses muscles at a high intensity for short bursts. Essentially, this equates to the fast combinations that a fighter throws inside the ring. The aerobic portion of the match takes place when you circle the ring, perhaps catching a quick breath in between punches. Aerobic exercise is defined as lower intensity activities performed for longer periods. "

Again, for those who don't quite get it. Punching and other such high impact things like jumping, etc, are NOT cardio. there is no definition of cardio where they fit, unless you purposely go out of your way to slow them down enough that they become cardio. In which case, you might as well do cardio instead..

Boxing and the like would be similar to tabata type training. Or intervals. the idea is lactic acid threshold training. And though you can see cardio improvements with it, by definition, it is still not cardio...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Hold on, guys, we should listen to the dude who's been here for two days and is an expert at quoting wikipedia.
  • phjorg1
    Options

I just proved you wrong. You're more than welcome to counter. but seems all you're good at is ad hominem attacks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when you don't even know what cardio is.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you breathing hard and sweating?