hit a plataeu!

Options
I have lost a total of 20-30 lbs.. I give a range instead of an exact number because my body keeps bouncing up and down with my total weight loss. I have been calorie counting and working out for over a year, and now it seems like not only can I not lose anymore weight, but I have even started gaining! I work out almost every day, I live an active lifestyle and have a very active job. I live my life as far as food is concerned, but I generally keep my calories between 1200-1700/day, which is what is recommended for loss of 1-2 lbs per week. I'm at my wit's end now, after weighing in yesterday and having gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks. Does anyone know of a quick jump start diet or something I can use to get my body back on track???

Replies

• btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are you looking to lose? I'm wondering if you always do the same workouts day in and day out. If so, maybe consider trying different things. Maybe start lifting weight is not already.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    intermittent fasting. that would be my answer.
  • mistym1967
    mistym1967 Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. My clothes are fitting me different but I cannot seem to lose any weight. I work out either in a pool, walking, or hiking and nothing. I watch what I eat, have cut out soda and sweets. I can't figure out why. Please don't say your gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. I can't hear that again. I drink so much water I feel like my eyes are going to float out of my sockets.
  • smily159
    smily159 Posts: 13
    Options
    From my last weigh-in yesterday, I need to lose about 20 more lbs. I have tried multiple workouts, and most recently I have been just running (pulled a muscle in my chest so I had to quit lifting and doing push-ups for a little while). But I have done Insanity, P90X, and just regular cardio stuff over the past year and a half. I have thought about maybe cutting my calories in half for a few days to shock my metabolism, but I don't know how reliable that would be.
  • smily159
    smily159 Posts: 13
    Options
    Please don't say your gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. I can't hear that again.

haha I totally know how you feel, that seems to be everyone's "catch-all" phrase when someone's weight loss stops!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That happened to me too ( I had lost 32 lbs in 12-14 weeks) & what I did was got a digital scale that measures in oz & grams & started weighing everything to verify accuracy then I tried eatig at my tdee # & nothing happened so I slowly kept lowering my calorie count until I started seeing results it took 6 weeks of being stagnant before I started loosing again. I dont know if what I did helped or not (my plateau might have been naturally over) but it made me feel like I was doing something & it kept me at the same weight
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've read that carb loading can help. Google it.
  • mistym1967
    mistym1967 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have a digital scale and pretty much weigh just about anything that can be weighed. I measure everything else out. I'm just hoping that sooner or later it will just rev up and I will wake up and I will have dropped 10 lbs. LOL Thanks for the input. I will try cutting down on the calories.
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't have first hand experience of a plateau... yet :) but I read another post that seemed sensible. To switch to maintainance for a month or so to give yourself a physical and mental break - then reset again for losing weight. Don't know of the scientific basis for this - but I liked the idea - rather than feeling like you're flogging a dead horse.
    Also - sounds like you are massively active! Surely you don't need to be even more active, do you weigh all your foods to be sure your calories are accurate - I can't imagine it's your lack of activity causing any issues...
    That's my 2 cents.