Using nutrition with intermittent Fasting for fat loss

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

This relates to the effect insulin has on fat metabolism and anytime we consume a meal, stored fatty acids are spared in lieu of glucose for any ATP and some glycogen........ Basically were using that immediate ATP from the pre meal for energy for the workout and of course the studies are showing the effect on fat metabolism after the workout and after that post workout meal was consumed, so of course when were sedentary post workout and have eaten, fat metabolism is impeded at that time. What this doesn't take into account is, it's the total daily nutrient intake that dictates fat loss or gain. Semantics. Basically being in a fed state blunts fat oxidation.

In laymen turns, everything you said means that eating before a workout slows down the fat burning process.

Yup in sure does, anytime we eat. And the reason thinking about fat oxidation in a minute sense, is pointless.
  • PcShed
    PcShed Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the constructive feedback. Its interesting to see when someone goes against all basic principles of nutrition, everyone has their own version on what is right and what is not.
    Everyone body acts different to different regimes both in training and nutrition, I know, because for the last 19 years I experimented most of them on myself and logged everything.

My current lifestyle suits what I am doing at the moment and I just wanted to see what can be achieved.
    Willpower and determination can overcome a lot of barriers. Mental strength is my key quality. My friends who due to religion, once a year fast for a month only eating a night had great benefits like lower bod yfat, lean mass gains, lower blood pressure etc without any training!
    Saturday 11th May 12.00pm will be the main day where we will see if this effort has resulted in faster body fat and lean mass gain versus normal nutrition and training and the tweaks can start on the nutrition and training.

Anyone who has IF experience, I would love to hear you thoughts and experience.
    Many thanks
    Sergio
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's too late for me to analyze the whole post, but I will tell you something you should abandon immediately:

Training in a fasted state, it is a myth that it helps.

Studies have proven that those who have a meal in the morning prior to a workout burn more fat than those who have a meal afterwards. You're body NEEDS carbs to burn fat! Lowering your carbs only helps to a certain point at which going lower inhibits your fat loss.

Spread your meals out throughout your day. Go for 200g a carb a day, and eat carbs after a workout.

Lipogenisis (converting of carbs to fat) is inhibited after a workout, even showing no difference between low/high GI. Your body uses those carbs to restore glycogen stores that were depleted through exercise.

Stick to low GI carbs, high fiber, and don't overdue it. Remember, your body uses carbs to burn fat!

Almost everything you stated there is not actually true in reality.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    Studies have proven that those who have a meal in the morning prior to a workout burn more fat than those who have a meal afterwards.

Care to provide those studies?

Thanks!

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/fasting.html

I guess what I forgot to mention was that eating before a workout is beneficial in the longer term for fat metabolism as shown in this study. This study didn't measure fat metabolism during exercise, but rather the effects at 12 and 24 after the exercise.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Studies have proven that those who have a meal in the morning prior to a workout burn more fat than those who have a meal afterwards.

Thanks!

I guess what I forgot to mention was that eating before a workout is beneficial in the longer term for fat metabolism as shown in this study. This study didn't measure fat metabolism during exercise, but rather the effects at 12 and 24 after the exercise.

Interesting study but I would have liked them to have measured the fat burning during the exercise routine. Since they waited 12 hours after a workout, that raises questions. The main question I'd like an answer to is, how much of a role did eating after a workout hamper HGH proteins due to the release of insulin if any.

Edit: Maybe a better conclusion for this study would be not to eat immediately post workout.

• BBryans07
    BBryans07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I tried IF for a couple weeks, but in the end, just wound up back in my old habits. It's tough to maintain if you have an active social life-- drinks with friends at 9pm, early breakfast with the folks, etc. I realized I was planning my entire life around this fasting schedule...or staying at home and missing out on things I shouldn't have. :( I will say this however-- that first meal after the 16-hour fast tastes SO GOOD. If you don't do it for the weight loss, then do it for the benefit of training yourself to appreciate, savor, and relish the taste of food. I don't think IF is harmful if done properly and I think some people benefit from the eating schedule greatly. I'm just not one of them. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this.

If I'm reading this correctly though, the group with the higher energy expenditure also had a considerably higher food intake.

EDIT: ^^ That's incorrect, my bad =)
  • Ipalavra
    Options

Thanks!

Interesting study but I would have liked them to have measured the fat burning during the exercise routine. Since they waited 12 hours after a workout, that raises questions. The main question I'd like an answer to is, how much of a role did eating after a workout hamper HGH proteins due to the release of insulin if any.

Edit: Maybe a better conclusion for this study would be not to eat immediately post workout.

Yes, exactly, which leads me to the question studies like that raise to myself which is what the OVERALL fat metabolism. Studies continue to show us fat metabolism here and there from different methods, but which methods provide the best net fat metabolism. Does this study's method's of longer term fat metabolism outweigh the benefits of the fasted exercise's elevated fat metabolism during exercise? Stuff like that is what need to be answered.

With that said, I'm personally in more favor of methods that are going to affect my body over longer periods of time and when resting, rather than just during (i.e. HIIT)
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    I've been using Intermittent Fasting with incredible success for the last 12 months. I won't pretend to be an expert on nutrition or meal frequency, but that's something I don't think anyone can claim. What I can offer is my own personal experience and knowledge.

When it comes to Intermittent Fasting you want to avoid low carbing, they mix like oil and water. I have my own feelings of the uselessness of low carbing but that's another story. As far as combining low carb and IF, don't do it, trust me on that.

I've gotten my body fat to stage competition levels between 4-5% eating upwards of 60% of my calories from carbs.

When it comes to macronutrient profiles I would highly suggest something between .8-1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25-.3g of fat per lb of body weight, and fill the rest of your calories with carbs. Find your -20% deficit amount using harris benedict.

Naturally for optimal fat loss results regardless of meal frequency you want to maintain high amounts of resistance training, with minimal cardio (perhaps 20 min light cardio after your daily workout is fine or on occasion if you prefer, but not necessary) Not to be confused with HIIT training of course.

Training fasted does have a lot of benefits, but it's futile to argue what is better, fasted or non fasted training. I know personally from my own results over the last year that fasted training is simply incredible. Muscles don't lose any strength until 36+ hours of fasting, so people that say they "need to eat" before a workout, it's all in their heads. (But placebo is a POWERFUL thing)

I suggest 30 minutes prior to training consuming a caffeinated pre workout to optimize energy and fat loss, and consuming 10g BCAA's 5-10 min prior to training as well.

I've added 15lbs of solid muscle to my frame using purely IF, staying very lean, and I've also used it to get to low body fat levels in the 4-5% range. This comes after 2 years experience of NOT training fasted or using IF and I gotta tell ya, IF is very powerful if used consistently and correctly.

My protocol is eating between 1-9pm. I take 1-2 scoops of C4 at 11:30, 10g BCAA (xtend scviation) at 11:55am, and hit my workout full force at 12pm. Sometimes afterwards I'll take a jog for 15-20 minutes just to get outside, cause I workout from my living room.

Sometimes I don't start eating until 1:30 or as late as 3pm.

Bottom line: IF works "very" well. Fasted training is kick *kitten* (But largely preference), and at the end of the day it's most important to find what works for you. If you're seeing results, stick with it.

Muscles do not go catabolic as fast as the supplement industry tries to scare you into believing, and you don't need the ghastly amounts of protein they try to shove down your throat either. If I can gain 15lbs (while lowering body fat mind you) at .8-1g of protein daily, you can too.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Yes, exactly, which leads me to the question studies like that raise to myself which is what the OVERALL fat metabolism. Studies continue to show us fat metabolism here and there from different methods, but which methods provide the best net fat metabolism. Does this study's method's of longer term fat metabolism outweigh the benefits of the fasted exercise fat metabolism? Stuff like that is what need to be answered.

^ And that I absolutely agree with. Until we can show a significant difference in net fat oxidation over long periods of time in relevant circumstances then the acute stuff isn't all that applicable.

What I mean is, after months of a given application, did a specific group lose more total body fat? Because you can look at fat burned during a workout or you can look at EPOC or what have you, but if the end result after long periods doesn't show a marked advantage for a given method that we can't really make strong conclusions about it, IMO.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    Yep :)
    if training fasted, increases your performance do that.

if training fed, increases your performance do that.

Not really worth worrying about minute details of fat oxidation IMO unless you are looking to step on stage.

^^
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    Another problem people have in analyzing IF is looking too closely at the fat burn. "Does it burn more fat or not?"

This is irrelevant. The primary benefits of IF go far beyond that.

How about:

1. Extended Life Span
    2. Better Sleep
    3. Increased HGH
    4. Increased Insulin Response
    5. More energy during workouts (For some who may digest slowly, if using fasted training)
    6. Convenient cooking time(2-3 easy big meals, versus cooking ridiculous chipmunk meals all day every 10 minutes)
    7. Reduced fat gain while bulking
    8. Increased focus and mental clarity during fasted hours.

The list goes on. Once you try it and stick with it for a month, in my opinion, it's damn near impossible to ever go back to 'modern day' meal frequency. IF is a more natural way to eat as we always have.

The body can be in a fed state, or a fasted state. In a fed state resources are diverted to handling digestion, in a fasted state they are used for everything else. Would you rather have 2/3 of your body's time spent digesting, or 2/3 healing? It's logical in my eyes.

But I'm not so foolish to say everything I just typed is fact, merely my own opinions based on the research I've done, and personal experience over the last year. I'm definitely never goin' back.
  • vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    John Romaniello sums up the benefits of IF nicely here:

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_700/703_intermittent-fasting.html
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    It's too late for me to analyze the whole post, but I will tell you something you should abandon immediately:

Training in a fasted state, it is a myth that it helps.

Studies have proven that those who have a meal in the morning prior to a workout burn more fat than those who have a meal afterwards. You're body NEEDS carbs to burn fat! Lowering your carbs only helps to a certain point at which going lower inhibits your fat loss.

Spread your meals out throughout your day. Go for 200g a carb a day, and eat carbs after a workout.

Lipogenisis (converting of carbs to fat) is inhibited after a workout, even showing no difference between low/high GI. Your body uses those carbs to restore glycogen stores that were depleted through exercise.

Stick to low GI carbs, high fiber, and don't overdue it. Remember, your body uses carbs to burn fat!

hodgetwins are living proof that your research is flawed. They train fasted, do not eat breakfast, and wait at least 2 hours after a workout before they eat. Some of the videos are old, from when they first started doing IF over a year ago as it was new to them.

Breakfast Speeds Up Metabolism
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gjSG8md7s

FastingTwins: The Importance of Not Eating Postworkout!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmXLqmqBzeU

TMW: Energy While Intermittent Fasting Has Been Amazing
    .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeViPIwDagY

Habits That Can Hinder or Stop Natural HGH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH7CPh8u2RA

youtube is not research
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

youtube is not research

I agree, it's not research but much more fun and entertaining to watch others who have researched the subject and be a living example of the topic than to go find the papers myself which I have done before. Maybe I should save the papers next time I'm up for a serious debate?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi! I tried IF for a couple weeks, but in the end, just wound up back in my old habits. It's tough to maintain if you have an active social life-- drinks with friends at 9pm, early breakfast with the folks, etc. I realized I was planning my entire life around this fasting schedule...or staying at home and missing out on things I shouldn't have. :( I will say this however-- that first meal after the 16-hour fast tastes SO GOOD. If you don't do it for the weight loss, then do it for the benefit of training yourself to appreciate, savor, and relish the taste of food. I don't think IF is harmful if done properly and I think some people benefit from the eating schedule greatly. I'm just not one of them. :)

I did IF (lean gains 18/8) for about six months. I like it but had the same problem that you mentioned above where as I felt like i was spending all evening cooking or getting meals ready ..I swithced back to eating about four times a day and have kept my progress going ...IF did help me lean out, it just was not good fit for my lifestyle...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've been using Intermittent Fasting with incredible success for the last 12 months. I won't pretend to be an expert on nutrition or meal frequency, but that's something I don't think anyone can claim. What I can offer is my own personal experience and knowledge.

When it comes to Intermittent Fasting you want to avoid low carbing, they mix like oil and water. I have my own feelings of the uselessness of low carbing but that's another story. As far as combining low carb and IF, don't do it, trust me on that.

I've gotten my body fat to stage competition levels between 4-5% eating upwards of 60% of my calories from carbs.

When it comes to macronutrient profiles I would highly suggest something between .8-1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25-.3g of fat per lb of body weight, and fill the rest of your calories with carbs. Find your -20% deficit amount using harris benedict.

Naturally for optimal fat loss results regardless of meal frequency you want to maintain high amounts of resistance training, with minimal cardio (perhaps 20 min light cardio after your daily workout is fine or on occasion if you prefer, but not necessary) Not to be confused with HIIT training of course.

Training fasted does have a lot of benefits, but it's futile to argue what is better, fasted or non fasted training. I know personally from my own results over the last year that fasted training is simply incredible. Muscles don't lose any strength until 36+ hours of fasting, so people that say they "need to eat" before a workout, it's all in their heads. (But placebo is a POWERFUL thing)

I suggest 30 minutes prior to training consuming a caffeinated pre workout to optimize energy and fat loss, and consuming 10g BCAA's 5-10 min prior to training as well.

I've added 15lbs of solid muscle to my frame using purely IF, staying very lean, and I've also used it to get to low body fat levels in the 4-5% range. This comes after 2 years experience of NOT training fasted or using IF and I gotta tell ya, IF is very powerful if used consistently and correctly.

My protocol is eating between 1-9pm. I take 1-2 scoops of C4 at 11:30, 10g BCAA (xtend scviation) at 11:55am, and hit my workout full force at 12pm. Sometimes afterwards I'll take a jog for 15-20 minutes just to get outside, cause I workout from my living room.

Sometimes I don't start eating until 1:30 or as late as 3pm.

Bottom line: IF works "very" well. Fasted training is kick *kitten* (But largely preference), and at the end of the day it's most important to find what works for you. If you're seeing results, stick with it.

Muscles do not go catabolic as fast as the supplement industry tries to scare you into believing, and you don't need the ghastly amounts of protein they try to shove down your throat either. If I can gain 15lbs (while lowering body fat mind you) at .8-1g of protein daily, you can too.

IDK - I did not view the cooking two to three big meals as a benefit. After working all day, getting home from gym, I was *kitten* now I have to cook a 2000 cal meal and then have a smaller fill in one later...then, if I did not hit my cals in first meal had to make bigger meal later in evening....

I did like training fasted and noticed no difference in energy levels...if anything, I was more energized/alert when in fasted state....
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    If anyone is interested. Here's a paper. Not sure how many people will understand what it's talking about though.

Insulin-induced dephosphorylation of hormone-sensitive lipase
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1989.tb14842.x/pdf
    Insulin (1 nM) reduced CAMP-dependent protein kinase activity and also reduced lipolysis with both CAMP- dependent and CAMP-independent antilipolytic effects up to an activity ratio of = 0.4, above which the antilipo- lytic effect was lost. Insulin caused a decrease in the state of phosphorylation of hormone-sensitive lipase at all levels of CAMP-dependent protein kinase activity

This quote pretty much sums up the research. It basically says, insulin stops the break down of fat or slows it down. Lipolysis is another word for the break down of fats. Wiki link below to to see the definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipolysis

• Ipalavra
    Options
    If anyone is interested. Here's a paper. Not sure how many people will understand what it's talking about though.

Insulin-induced dephosphorylation of hormone-sensitive lipase
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1989.tb14842.x/pdf
    Insulin (1 nM) reduced CAMP-dependent protein kinase activity and also reduced lipolysis with both CAMP- dependent and CAMP-independent antilipolytic effects up to an activity ratio of = 0.4, above which the antilipo- lytic effect was lost. Insulin caused a decrease in the state of phosphorylation of hormone-sensitive lipase at all levels of CAMP-dependent protein kinase activity

This quote pretty much sums up the research. It basically says, insulin stops the break down of fat or slows it down. Lipolysis is another word for the break down of fats. Wiki link below to to see the definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipolysis

But remember, when looking at these studies you have to look at lipolysis AND FFA oxidation. They go hand in hand in burning fat.