Does anyone else exercise so that they can eat more?

Replies

• sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    I am also on a 1200 calorie "diet" and yes I workout just to eat more. I recently purchased a HRM and discovered that MFP was over stated by over 160 calories, so now I feel even more hungry. LOL
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Sucks that a McD's burger is 250 calories, takes a minute to eat but 15 minutes or more to burn off. It tastes so much better though burning first then eating.
  • That piece of chocolate cake tastes 1000 times better when you've worked for it. I put sedentary because I wasn't sure how much I'd work out but once I realized the calorie amount changed with working out... I go every day :)
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Yes! Get my burn in to eat some food! Agree with the burn first eat after idea though from the Mainer before me...
  • exostan
    exostan Posts: 38
    I exercise regularly but don't fit it in bc who knows what my bmr and tdee truly is. I don't trust calculations because I'm just not like the average woman. I exercise to better my mood and endurance. If I go over my calorie goal, I burn it off.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Willing to work for food.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Yes! Get my burn in to eat some food! Agree with the burn first eat after idea though from the Mainer before me...

Not a true Maniac, more of a Minnesota boy, just happened to have moved there for calmer winters.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    It's the only reason I drag my carcass over to the ol' stationary bike most days!
    By the way, lots of people here talking about hunger. I felt that I must share a tip that's really helped me lose weight and stay full.
    Egg whites! Boil a whole bunch of eggs, keep them in a bowl of water in the fridge and when hunger strikes, peel a couple, discard the yolks and you've got a low-cal protein snack.
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    I do. I hate being hungry, and the satisfaction of eating a dessert that I've earned is great!

I have the app on my phone which shows the weekly average. As long as my weekly average is under I'm not too worried about going over once or twice. I've lost nearly 4.5kg in 5 weeks, so I must be doing something right!!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    I definitely do. In fact I worked out extra today bc of a birthday dinner tomorrow for a coworker. (i look at calories by the week) it keeos me sane
  • ToddsFitnessPal
    ToddsFitnessPal Posts: 9 Member
    it doesn't have to be a daily thing. you can use 100 extra calories from say 4 days of working out to eat 400 more calories on a day you don't workout.

your body isnt a calculator which adds up your weight loss/gain at the end of each day.

I exercise in part so that I can eat more EVERYDAY....not just days where I workout. MFP does daily totals....but weekly totals is probably closer to how your body reacts to energy intake and output.

hope that helps.

so in short....1200 sounds low....bump that up to 1400 (at least). You should never be starving...that diet won't last.

Eat lots of greens throughout the day...celery, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers...and don't count those calories, just have them around and eat them whenever you walk by. Don't worry....I have yet to meet someone who gained weight by eating those foods!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    I exercise to feel better, but yes, I also do it so that I can eat more. There are days where I want to eat some fatty snax so I compensate by working out.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    I used to do this in my first few months on MFP and I went along with their recommended daily calorie goal (it was somewhere between 1200 and 1400, I don't recall exactly now).

In the last six months, though, I have been eating just under my TDEE because I need the fuel for strength training. Most days I eat between 1800 and 1900. When I go over my calorie goal, I shrug and go to bed. My weight and measurements haven't budged so I am not the least worried. Maintenance is fun. :)
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    I walk to Menchies almost every week. It is 4 miles round trip and then I am guiltless about the ~250 calories for a cup of frozen yogurt topped with berries I eat. Alternatively, there is a wine store with a tasting patio next to Menchies I have tried out as well ( not on the same day!). And well earned treats seem to tast better than those eaten with shame!!
  • heidijomitchell
    heidijomitchell Posts: 4 Member
    It's like a bank account. You've gotta keep making deposits so you have calories to spend.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    No because I consider my weight loss up to my calorie intake and my overall health and fitness due to my exercise. I think differently but it's helped me to lose almost 200lbs.

Just want to say I think 200lbs of loss is an absolutely AMAZING achievment. You should be extremely proud of yourself!

Thanks and I am, but also very sad to think I let myself get that way to begin with.

You are an inspiration for me. I need to lose a lot as well. I can't believe I let myself get this bad the past few years.

I used to exercise to eat more but I did not lose weight when I did that so I stopped. I need to just exercise for health reasons instead.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Being able to eat more is my second biggest motivation to exercise, after the endorphins to keep the anxiety at bay.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    I try and exercse everyday so I can eat

I have heard that some people, don't eat all their earnt cals so they can eat them on the days they don't exercise or over the weekend or if they are going out for dinner

good luck

"If you did have a million-dollar racehorse, would you let him stay up half the night drinking coffee and booze, smoking cigarettes and eating junk food?" "Would you treat your 10-dollar dog or your 5-dollar cat that way? What about your billion-dollar body?"

anyone can add me
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Na, I just try to eat higher volume foods
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Yes, but not all the time. Only when I know I'm planning a big meal out or very hungry that day.