Calories Burned Shooting?

Options
Does anyone know how many calories would be burned at the shooting range?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It would be really hard to say, its not really an aerobic activity, you dont get your heart rate up and there isnt a lot of movement.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Probably not much more than just standing around, maybe you could enter it as walking at 2 mph for about half the time? I don't know if there is something in there for standing.
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The kind I'm doing doesn't really involve standing around. It's more of a competetive type.
  • amandasilva
    amandasilva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It would be really hard to say, its not really an aerobic activity, you dont get your heart rate up and there isnt a lot of movement.

Depends on what type of range. I've been through training where you were pouring sweat, and your heart was racing, and you were running from target to cover. We usually do some type of warm up before shooting, and then do some exercises to try to shoot from different positions (lots of squats/lunges). I know I am sore the next day from our qualifications.

I'd definately count the time at the range for exercise- at least from my experience and activity level on those days.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you invest in a heart rate monitor, you will know exactly how many calories you burn doing anything. A lot of people on here rave about the Polar F6. I have the Polar FT4 which was $100 through my gym.
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Depends on what type of range. I've been through training where you were pouring sweat, and your heart was racing, and you were running from target to cover. We usually do some type of warm up before shooting, and then do some exercises to try to shoot from different positions (lots of squats/lunges). I know I am sore the next day from our qualifications.

I'd definately count the time at the range for exercise- at least from my experience and activity level on those days.

Exactly. It is challenging.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I read that shooting a pistol in the standing position burns roughly from 100 to 170 (depending on what you are doing) calories an hours.
  • breezanemom
    Options
    According to: http://www.exercise.com/activity/pistol-shooting-or-trap-shooting, someone weighing 150 pounds, shooting for 60 minutes, would expend 170 calories.

However, if I were in the middle of an IDPA match, I would probably burn a lot more, because I would be moving quite a bit.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    "FROM someone shooting a pistol burns considerably more........" (Azdak)

Your statement is pretty much accurate :laugh:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • ashgav
    ashgav Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this too, I've ready 82-170 on different website for standing and shooting at the range. I've never thought about wearing my HRM to the range maybe next time.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If it was rough shooting - a walked up day or similar, I'd log it as just that, walking.

Driven shoots....

Hmm. I dunno I probably wouldn't bother.

Deer stalking etc involves a little bit of creeping about...not sure I'd bother logging that either.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    not enough to worry about
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on a specific course of fire that includes both static AND dynamic shooting scenarios, don't bother. Most of the time I"m at the range I'm either just standing kneeling or prone.

You're at the range, there's not much better than that. You don't have to make going to the range a workout, it's already a blast (pun intended).
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    sigh.... watch your diet and dont try and count every single fraction of a calorie burned...

should i start logging sex and *kitten*? no! I dont get laid enough and im too lazy to do it myself
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just was out the range shooting for work (had to re-qualifiy) and it's not something I do all the time. I shot 3 weapons 9mm, shotgun, and M-16, we go through several courses of fire and while I am not running and rolling my heart rate got up there and stayed in the fat burning range most of the 120 minutes of actual shooting/qualifying time. I am 145-150 pounds and I burned 500 calories. I am most def counting that and wouldn't say that it was nothing.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Calories burned while standing and shooting a pistol.... :noway: Don't give yourself so much credit, the gun is the one doing the work.

Did you look up how many calories you burn just standing there without the pistol? If someone's sedentary TDEE is 2,000, then that would be 83 calories right there. So...

Not EVERY activity, no matter how outdoorsy it is, how macho it makes you feel, or how much it makes you sweat because it's hot or marginally stressful, counts as exercise.

The calories burned come from working the muscles with sufficient intensity over time, not from simply doing an activity or feeling like you're doing work.

Please. Think.
  • Madmike54
    Madmike54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Presidents Challege tracker, which is managed by the University of Indiana, lists one hour of trap and skeet shooting as earning 145 points. Their website states points are nearly equal to calories burned. That should be a pretty close approximation.
  • tgtwining
    Options
    Accurate as long as the shooter misses.