Scary Bee Sting

Options
OMG get this. One of the Podiatrist I work with was telling us a story about his bike riding/bee sting experience this past week. He is into cycling like my husband and I. I guess he rides around 50 miles or maybe even more, a few nights a week....he's a little more insane than I am. :laugh:
Anyways...
The other day when he was riding a bee flew into his helmet and stung him on his head. I guess this has happened a few times before and he was okay, but not this time. He ended up having a severe allergic reaction. Did I mention he was all alone riding on back country roads.
He did have his cell phone and was able to call 911, but he started to go into anaphylaxis shock, he couldn't breath, his heart started racing, he was throwing up, he became delirious that he couldn't even direct anyone to where he was.
Believe it or not a car finally drove by, but DIDN'T stop...can you believe this?
Well I guess the guy in the car came to his senses and figured it wasn't normal some guy was on the side of the road, in nice bike clothes, waving down help. So he actually turned around and went back. Thank god! The guy in the car managed to call help and he saved our doctor....how scary huh? :sick:
Makes me want to carry benadryl with me on my rides and hikes for now on....call me paranoid, but you never know.
Kel~
biker1.gif

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    OMG get this. One of the Podiatrist I work with was telling us a story about his bike riding/bee sting experience this past week. He is into cycling like my husband and I. I guess he rides around 50 miles or maybe even more, a few nights a week....he's a little more insane than I am. :laugh:
    Anyways...
    The other day when he was riding a bee flew into his helmet and stung him on his head. I guess this has happened a few times before and he was okay, but not this time. He ended up having a severe allergic reaction. Did I mention he was all alone riding on back country roads.
    He did have his cell phone and was able to call 911, but he started to go into anaphylaxis shock, he couldn't breath, his heart started racing, he was throwing up, he became delirious that he couldn't even direct anyone to where he was.
    Believe it or not a car finally drove by, but DIDN'T stop...can you believe this?
    Well I guess the guy in the car came to his senses and figured it wasn't normal some guy was on the side of the road, in nice bike clothes, waving down help. So he actually turned around and went back. Thank god! The guy in the car managed to call help and he saved our doctor....how scary huh? :sick:
    Makes me want to carry benadryl with me on my rides and hikes for now on....call me paranoid, but you never know.
    Kel~
    biker1.gif
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have had two friends who got stug this past month, and they both had severe reations. Both had to get tetnis (sp) shots for the sing. I have never heard of this before. Weird.

But I think it is a good idea to cary benadryl with you. You can get stung many times before you have a reaction like you doctor. I don't think you are paranoid, just being smart.

:flowerforyou:
  • angyltears
    angyltears Posts: 57
    Options
    It's really scary what something so small can do to us... I carry an epi-pen with me EVERYWHERE because the Dr. says that the next sting will kill me if I'm not carefull... Last time I got stung on the arm and it caused my neck to swell and my face so that I couldn't breath!! Benadryl wouldn't work for me fast enough :(
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    One of my training partners got stung in the mouth the other day and his lip swelled up but fortunately no other ill affects. The thing is he didn't know if he was allergic and I think a lot of us are in that same boat, if we haven't been stung as adults or have never been stung at all. I've had bees (and lots of other winged beasties) fly into my helmet vents, get stuck inside my cycling glasses, etc. but fortunately haven't been stung. I don't think I'm allergic but that's why I always make sure someone carries a cell phone on rides. Benadryl's a good idea.