Running Won't Help You Lose Weight?

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that burning calories, in any manner, would not help you lose weight.

This.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Reading this article today -- can't say I'm terribly surprised, but it is a bit of a downer to think of physical exercise as good for your health, but not necessarily the main factor in getting into better shape.

http://beta.active.com/a3_articles/c9d1380f-ce51-4621-bdf2-cc337ca05b1f?page=1

Anyone have a different experience? The same?

When I was running a half hour to 45 minutes every day about 7 or 8 years ago I did lose weight. Running burns so many calories so quickly. I think it is great for weight loss and losing weight around your middle if you are a woman.
    Nope, it's not that simple.

Me thinks, not many people even looked at the link.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    running is one way to burn some calories. Other prefer, HIIT like...making waffles and stuff.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Really? It wont? Well then I'd better weigh myself again... cause I lost most of my 80lbs running. In fact I'm still running & still losing weight even though I don't need or want to. I've lost a ton of fat, a ton of weight & I love the fact I'm damn toned I love it. My fitness is brilliant & even the PT I saw once was impressed. I outlasted him.

Running wont help you lose weight? Well then someone better tell my weight that.... cause it's gone & the running helps it to stay gone.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Running is amazing...period. It helps shape your body, makes you feel awesome and aides in weight loss. Of course eating at a deficit makes you lose weight but combined with running yields great results. Plus, it is a must if you intend on surviving a zombie apocalypse. :glasses:

tumblr_m61i8sgilV1qf1avqo1_500.jpg

Number 1 Rule of Zombie Survival? CARDIO!
    :smile:
    Never understood the whole Zombie thing. One Nuke would end it all.

Yep & kinda everyone that is a survivor.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Granted running is not my only exercise but it is definitely my main exercise. I have been back running for 9 weeks following 5 months of injury, juring my non running time I ate healthily at a reasonable not less than 1200 but usually 1400 cal intake and did not lose hardly at all. This last 9 weeks I have lost 13lbs so I would argue that running has definitely helped me lose weight!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything about running since my bad knee restricts me to low impact exercise BUT regarding exercise in general, all I can say is my own experience: with casual diet control and no exercise, I lost 23 lbs in 2 years. When I added exercise and got more disciplined about my diet, I lost 23 lbs. in the first 2 months. Yes, of course some of the early stuff was water weight, nonetheless, in my experience, sure you CAN lose without exercise, but it sure as heck takes a whole lot longer. And in a strange way, going to all that work to force myself to exercise in spite of my lifelong aversion, motivates me to stick more closely to healthy eating so I don't sabotage all that extra effort with the part that is easy, fun and yummy! :o)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    The person who wrote the article wrote this

"Instead of focusing just on exercise as the key to fat loss, pay more attention to your calorie intake. Knocking off 100 calories a day from your evening snacks can theoretically result in 10 pounds of fat loss in a year. Does one less cookie a day seems simpler than hours of sweating...?"

Um wait... 100 cals less a day for weight loss? only 100? Hell....if anything were that accurate I'd have lost weight years ago. OP why on earth are you listening to this dribble?
  • 21angelic
    21angelic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Exercise in conjunction with a healthy diet does help you loose weight, you need to expend the calories you put in
    You don't have to do fantastic amounts of exercise, if your normally the sedentary type a good brisk walk to the shops will help, leave the car at home, if your more active a power walk.................its not all about getting sweaty at the gym.
    I'm no gym bunny but I do enjoy walking I take my backpack with water, fruit and a couple of biscuits and go and explore my local countryside....enjoyable.
    By doing something you enjoy your more likely keep it up
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Running is amazing...period. It helps shape your body, makes you feel awesome and aides in weight loss. Of course eating at a deficit makes you lose weight but combined with running yields great results. Plus, it is a must if you intend on surviving a zombie apocalypse. :glasses:

tumblr_m61i8sgilV1qf1avqo1_500.jpg

Number 1 Rule of Zombie Survival? CARDIO!
    :smile:
    Never understood the whole Zombie thing. One Nuke would end it all.

Yep & kinda everyone that is a survivor.

^LOL, my thoughts exactly...kinda negates the SURVIVAL aspect :huh:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Running absolutely factored into my weight loss. I have a hard time meeting my calorie goals without it. I'm usually a couple hundred over, which I can easily take care of with a jog. It's helped my stay in shape and not feel deprived.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Simply article
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i lost loads of weight with running and watching what i ate. Probably lost too much weight.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Running won't help you lose weight. Running helps make you awesome!
    this!!!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I think your interpretation of that article isn't quite accurate. It doesn't say running won't help you lose weight, which is the title of your post.

It could certainly be better written, but overall I think it has some useful tips in there.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running will "help" you lose weight if you do it right, it won't magically lose weight for you. Use it to help create a calorie deficit to achieve your goals and you can't go wrong.

You do have to be totally honest with yourself though - running is perhaps more prone than many other cardio activities to adaptation. Your body quickly becomes very efficient at doing the same, so you have to keep challenging yourself, or prepare to make an adjustment to your burn, however calculated (even an HRM burn is a best guess based on maths).

Anecdotally, not all miles burn the same. Based on observations from myself and friends, you won't burn twice as many calories on a 10-mile run as you would have burned on two separate five-mile runs. I imagine this is because your body uses different energy release mechanisms the longer you make it go. This is affected by how you fuel on the ruin too.

I wish I'd been on MFP when I was training for my first marathon - I was still maintaining or gaining despite five-hour long runs at weekend. I know now that was because I was eating practically an extra day's worth of calories, despite only having burned around 500. "But I was starving!" doesn't cut it!
  • leelu137
    leelu137 Posts: 46
    Options

This!!!!
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    false..i've lost close to 50 pounds running...:noway:
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Damn right skippy! :-)