post surgery question

Options
just over a week a go I had to have a lumpectomy in my right breast. Before this I was quite active; was on the second round of 30ds, was doing c25k and a couple of gym classes a week. Now I just feel really lazy. I'm still experiencing some pain so I know that I can't jump right back into my old routine but I'm so bored of just sitting around doing nothing and waiting to heal. Does anyone have any advice about some light exercise I could do? or should I just attempt to be patient and wait until the surgeon tells me I can exercise again?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with brisk walking? You don't have to go full on so soon. Take it easy so you can heal.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with brisk walking? You don't have to go full on so soon. Take it easy so you can heal.

This^^^

There's no rush. You've had surgery..let yourself heal.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you able to swim? Perhaps you could do some light yoga while wearing a supportive yet soft bra?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Definitely take it easy on the cardio. I had a lumpectomy a few years back and a week later was doing plyometrics. Bouncing is NOT good for healing. I ended up with a painful hematoma. I agree w/the above suggestions of walking, walking walking. Check with your surgeon to see if it's OK to get your heartrate up.

I disagree with swimming until you get the OK from your surgeon. That incision would not be healed enough at 1 week post op to submerge in water, especially potentionally gross pool water. I think they usually say 6-8 weeks.

Always listen to your surgeon. I know it feels awful right now. But overdoing will set you back weeks.
  • kerrirob1
    kerrirob1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input! i have been walking everyday but it just doesnt feel like i'm doing enough. but you're right, i should give myself time to heal, so i'll just have to try and be more patient until i see the surgeon again.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I had surgery last September, and all I was able to do was walk. I still ate a moderate deficit and I did a lot of walking...and I amazingly enough got leaner.

Walking IS exercise, even if you want to do something really intense. Walking still burns calories. And yet...walking allows your body to heal by not pounding it like intense exercise can.

To be honest, before the surgery I was all about cardio. Recovered cardio bunny here! Now, I focus mainly on weight training and keep cardio to a minimum while still walking at least 10,000 steps a day. And I've been burning more fat so far this year than I did in all of last year.

So just stay patient. And remember to heal. And also remember that there is nothing wrong with going for a walk.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just want to wish you a good recovery :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Walking should be fine, but like everyone else said, allow yourself to heal! It's not a race, wait until your doctor says it's okay to exercise.