I hate the food guilts!

Options
No matter what i eat whether its fatty or really healthy, big or small.... I still always feel guilty! ( you can read my food diary)

Even if i work out or plan to work out later that day.

I'm currently still over weight and I don't think Its redeveloping into a disorder like i had a few years back.

Does anyone else ever feel sad/guilty after food? x x

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    honey, you don't look overweight from what i can see in the pic, and your net intake is in negative numbers. If you've got a history of ED please be careful.

So saying, i don't get the food guilts, but i do get the food paranoia. moments of 'what if thats had something else added' etc
  • Dominantia
    Dominantia Posts: 18
    Options
    I do.. especially when I eat something I didn't plan to eat before ( I have to have a meal plan prepared the previous day, I just feel better then). Even some good or 'safe' foods make me feel guilty I think that I could've survived without it so why did I eat it?
    (You don't need to be underweight to have an ed! I think you know that. I hope you're not relapsing, though.)
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just remember your daily goal is a goal not a maximum. Look like your never hitting your goal which is just as unhealthy as going way over.

Food is healthy, eat it.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    honey, you don't look overweight from what i can see in the pic, and your net intake is in negative numbers. If you've got a history of ED please be careful.

So saying, i don't get the food guilts, but i do get the food paranoia. moments of 'what if thats had something else added' etc

that pic is from when I lost weight then put on through stress x x x
  • trudijoy
    Options

god stress is a ***** isn't it? i hear that one. <3
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    I do.. especially when I eat something I didn't plan to eat before ( I have to have a meal plan prepared the previous day, I just feel better then). Even some good or 'safe' foods make me feel guilty I think that I could've survived without it so why did I eat it?
    (You don't need to be underweight to have an ed! I think you know that. I hope you're not relapsing, though.)

This is what I mean!

Im like I neeeed to control myself x x
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options

Yep! I comfort eat whenunder pressure at work or finances! x
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

This is what I mean!

Im like I neeeed to control myself x x

No, you need to eat the food and nourish your body. You shouldn't feel guilty for eating, that's disordered thinking, straight up. Work out your BMR, etc.....go find 'in place of a road map' on here.
  • trudijoy
    Options

Yep! I comfort eat whenunder pressure at work or finances! x

i'm the opposite, i comfort starve. My ED is rooted in having control - if i feel out of control I try to control myself by not eating. MFP is amazing for me because i switched my focus to controlling the numbers and i'm seeing really positive results and haven't had a flare up of my ED for months even though life's been pretty stressful.

I think with an ED background realising that it'll always be there somewhere, but you can either control it or be controlled by it is really important.

Don't feel guilty about eating up to your calorie allowance. You're not going to pack on weight doing that. In fact, you'll lose it x
  • smoira
    smoira Posts: 12
    Options
    Hiya, at looking at your picture you look great, I had a look at what you have been eating the last few days and your really not eating much at all, which isn't good for you at all, mfp is only a guide. you can eat salads and veg and have healthy sweet treats and still have a good day and this might make you feel better. if you have had problems with food in the past maybe get a good friend to help you with this so you don't get sick again. take care.x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you say you feel guilty when you eat food, the days you have filled in your diary you have net 4-500 cals, you have a picture of yourself at a very low weight, which presumably you have on your profile as its the weight you aspire to? and you say you used to have an ED?

i think you need more help than an internet forum.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Food is energy: some things taste good some things taste bad.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just remember your daily goal is a goal not a maximum. Look like your never hitting your goal which is just as unhealthy as going way over.

Food is healthy, eat it.

^^^^ this

you're eating wayyy too little... if you feel guilty about eating what little you do, then that's a red flag for an eating disorder. Maybe you should have a chat with your doctor about this.

Food is healthy and good for you, it sustains your body and keeps you healthy. you should not feel guilty about eating enough food to feed your body properly.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Its just so friggin annoying and i feel alone with it at times.

Its just whole "why did i have to eat that" I wind myself up about..
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    Hiya, at looking at your picture you look great, I had a look at what you have been eating the last few days and your really not eating much at all, which isn't good for you at all, mfp is only a guide. you can eat salads and veg and have healthy sweet treats and still have a good day and this might make you feel better. if you have had problems with food in the past maybe get a good friend to help you with this so you don't get sick again. take care.x

Thats me before i gained 20lb.

I think being sat at a desk at work for 10hrs doesnt help x x
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    Options
    If you've had a disorder you need to be very careful - it's scary how quickly you can fall into old habits. Do you have a therapist or someone you should talk to?
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    yeah I have friends i can chat too etc bet they all act they i fuss over nothing or they dont care about weight etc xxx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yeah I have friends i can chat too etc bet they all act they i fuss over nothing or they dont care about weight etc xxx

you need to talk to a professional
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

can you tell yourself "I ate it because my body requires food" - try to change how you view food and your body. Should a car feel guilty after being filled up with petrol or having an oil change? No, because it's what the car needs. Your body needs protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water, to keep it running properly, just like a car needs petrol, oil, water in the radiator, etc.

If you can't change your mindset on your own, maybe some counselling/therapy with someone who is qualified and experienced in treating people with eating disorders will help you to change your mindset and start feeding yourself properly without experiencing all that guilt.

I know how extremely difficult it can be to make negative inner voices STFU, I've done a lot of counselling/therapy myself (for PTSD in my case), and I'm doing a whole lot better than before. Speaking to friends about how you feel is not remotely the same as counselling/therapy... it's not having a shoulder to cry on or someone to offload to (although a counsellor/therapist can help you to do that as well) - it's more like teaching you how to reprogram your brain, including stuff going on in your subconcsious that's causing you to behave in self-destructive ways, that you may not even be aware of. Friends may be able to listen and provide a shoulder to cry on, but they can't do therapy for you (even if they're a qualified counsellor, they won't be in a position to help, someone you don't know in any other context usually is better). it's important that the therapist is qualified and knows what they're doing so check out credentials etc.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    Thanks guys,

can you tell yourself "I ate it because my body requires food" - try to change how you view food and your body. Should a car feel guilty after being filled up with petrol or having an oil change? No, because it's what the car needs. Your body needs protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water, to keep it running properly, just like a car needs petrol, oil, water in the radiator, etc.

If you can't change your mindset on your own, maybe some counselling/therapy with someone who is qualified and experienced in treating people with eating disorders will help you to change your mindset and start feeding yourself properly without experiencing all that guilt.

I know how extremely difficult it can be to make negative inner voices STFU, I've done a lot of counselling/therapy myself (for PTSD in my case), and I'm doing a whole lot better than before. Speaking to friends about how you feel is not remotely the same as counselling/therapy... it's not having a shoulder to cry on or someone to offload to (although a counsellor/therapist can help you to do that as well) - it's more like teaching you how to reprogram your brain, including stuff going on in your subconcsious that's causing you to behave in self-destructive ways, that you may not even be aware of. Friends may be able to listen and provide a shoulder to cry on, but they can't do therapy for you (even if they're a qualified counsellor, they won't be in a position to help, someone you don't know in any other context usually is better). it's important that the therapist is qualified and knows what they're doing so check out credentials etc.

Thank you thats awesome advice x x x