Cereal. Saint or Sinner?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
I am a sucker for cereal, any sort of cereal; fibres, chocolately ones, muesli, wheats etc.

I always have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, i don't have the time to mess around and make something else but recently i have been having cereal for dinner too, not all the time but more often than not at the moment.

Is this good or bad for me? i know all cereals are different but just in general, will this impact my weight loss because of the sugar contents?

Replies

• Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are bad cereals out there with no nutritional value try and stay away from those. Instead eat cereals that are on the healthier side low in calories and maybe Almond milk. I for instance love FiberOne honey clusters, I believe its 160 cal for a serving and the almond milk is 20 or 30 calories and comes in vanilla for added flavor. So cereal is a good choice, but it depends on the one your buying. Read your labels..
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal every day. The ones I buy generally have small amounts of sugar and fat, and high fiber. Bran flakes, Nature's Path Organic Heritage flakes, Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal, for example. I have my cereal with 1/2 oz of walnuts, a small banana, low or nonfat yogurt, and fresh fruit like berries or peaches. My breakfast keeps me full, satisfied, and without cravings until about 1 in the afternoon. It is my most important meal of the day.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love cereal, but I tend to stay away from the super sugary ones. Make sure you measure it out though. I thought I was only eating a serving or a serving and a half. Hubby and I bought a scale a couple months back and come to find out, I was eating at least 2 servings at once. Sometimes three. If you are counting calories that could make you quite a bit over. :)
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it but it's supposed to be better if the cereal has less than 7g of sugar per serving and at least 10 grams of fiber.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of Cascadian Farms Honey Nut O's with skim milk every single morning and I've had no problem with it. Just look for organic cereals on the lower end of sugar and you'll be totally fine.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you stay within your macros...eat cereal morning, noon and night.

Cereal is the one thing I will not compromise and give up. I love it!!
  • MSGFitnessPal
    Options
    If breakfast is your main meal, you should enjoy cereal and a bigger calorie load for that meal. The healthier ones have fiber that sort of balance out the sugars. The biggest sneak in the cereal box, though, is SODIUM. We were shocked by how much was in there, esp. when you eat not the tiny box serving but an amount most people would typically eat; that information caused us to switch brands.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Not much
    butthere is healthier cereal that still tastes good
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal in the morning, oats in my protein shake in the afternoon, and cereal out of the box in the evening. I love the stuff. I do stay away from the sugary ones...or at leat try to. My down fall is a good granola.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast cereal... but rarely eat it anymore. It was the first thing to go, actually. I'm not big on depriving myself of anything, but this is one habit that needed to broken. There are much better breakfasts that are more satisfying, and when I wake up, I want to EAT!

I used to eat all the high-fiber, low-sugar, all-natural, organic, whole-grain, expensive stuff thinking it was better for me. But in reality, there's no way 120g of pure carbs and almost no protein, is a good way to start the day. I'd be hungry an hour or two later.

Like you, I don't like long, drawn-out breakfasts on work days. Nowadays I make a fruit & protein smoothie, and drink it in the car or walking around the house while getting ready. Lower calorie, more satisfying, and takes even less time.

Just changing this one thing caused a huge pile of weight to drop off.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal for breakfast almost every day. Hasn't hurt my progress.

I make sure I weight it with a food scale - that helps me know that I'm getting the portion I *think* I'm eating (instead of a lot more). Over time, I've transitioned from very sweet cereals to those with less added sugar. I make them taste more sweet by adding fruit on top.
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    Saint!!! I eat cereal everyday with skimmed cow's milk. :)
    Opt for cereals that are wholegrain and healthy, not sugary ones with hardly any good stuff in!
    If you like chocolatey ones then coco pops are great, I've been having them for a while and still losing plenty of weight.
    Oh and porridge oats with honey are great, slow-releasing carbs and it fills you up. :)
    Read the labels and I thoroughly recommend weighing it all out. Enjoy!!! :D
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I generally do not eat cereal for breakfast, because of all the sugary cereals we do have in the house, but would make it routine if I could find the least-sugared, most-filling, options... I usually make an egg with some wheat toast and strawberries, but find cereal much more filling.... And the only downfall is I hate the added calories from 1% milk... I want to switch to soy or almond, but I know that is a no-go in the family fridge... Next I know, I'll get cursed out for it, just like I got cursed out for making whole-wheat pasta... lol!

Trying, but I would definitely vote (the right kinds) cereal the saint.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I used to eat all the high-fiber, low-sugar, all-natural, organic, whole-grain, expensive stuff thinking it was better for me. But in reality, there's no way 120g of pure carbs and almost no protein, is a good way to start the day. I'd be hungry an hour or two later.

Like you, I don't like long, drawn-out breakfasts on work days. Nowadays I make a fruit & protein smoothie, and drink it in the car or walking around the house while getting ready. Lower calorie, more satisfying, and takes even less time.

Ditto this. I'm visiting my inlaws this week so I've been having what they have - a bowl of Shreddies for breakfast. Literally within an hour I am STARVING. Can't wait to get back home to my berry protein smoothies! :) That said, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating cereal, but to me it's not a meal, more of a snack.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm interested in the responses on this one. I suspect it's by and large a sinner. I know my favorite cereal has a lot of carbs. It's got some sodium and sugar too, although the sugar isn't that bad. I tell myself that the positives (made from whole grains and fortified with vitamins and minerals) outweigh the negatives, but that's not why I'm eating it - I just love how it tastes! A friend shared a recipe for homemade cereal with me which I'm going to try when I get the chance. If I can make yummy cereal myself, using good, healthy ingredients, maybe I can finally make a break from my favorite commercial cereal.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Buy from the top row of the cereal isle and you should be fine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If it fits your goals (meaning you are also getting plenty of protein and fat in your day, and you are getting in some veggies for micronutrients) I can't think of a reason not to eat it. But like others have said you should weigh the portions. That's why I rarely eat cereal anymore-- the serving size is tiny compared to the calories.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Foods are not inherently good or evil. You can eat whatever cereal fits into your macros. Just read the box on the cereal you like and eat the amount that fits in with your goals.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal almost daily and have since 2008. I just love it because it is refreshing ~ even in the winter. I eat 1cup of Special K Fruit & Yogurt, Special K Cinnamon Pecan, Cheerios Peanut Butter, Cheerios Dulce de Leche, Kashi GoLean Crisp! Cinnamon Crumble OR Kashi GoLean Crisp! Toasted Berry Crumble with 1 C Fat Free Milk, 1/2Tbsp EVOO, 1/2Tbsp raw honey and 1/2C mixed fruit. Sometimes I even take 1/2C of one with 1/2C of another just for a different flavor.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your eating lifestyle, and the kind of cereal. If you are trying to go for a low carb/paleo/etc eating lifestyle, no cereal is not the way to go (in moderation for low carb, I would assume is ok). If you are trying to go for balanced eating all the way around, then sure, cereal is good to eat also in moderation.
    Depending on what you have, cereal has fiber, whole grains, nutrients, if you drink it with milk you add in some dairy/calcium, and it can be filling.
    If you're eating cocoa pebbles, then not necessarily a good thing. :D

I don't eat grains, so for me, I don't eat cereal, though I'm not saying I didn't want to tear up a box of cinnamon toast crunch a few weeks ago...cheesus I miss it sometimes.