Recommended Strength Training Guides?

Options
Pearsquared
Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
I want to get into strength training, but I'm honestly at a loss when people talk about the exercises that they do. I'm a complete novice - I don't know what the deadlift forward-moving banana squat is.

Are there any guides out there (preferably with pictures) that you would recommend, online or not? I do have some machines at my small apartment gym, but I would prefer ones that focus on free weights or resistance bands so I can do most of it at home.

Thanks! <3

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    get hold of NEw Rules of Lifting for Women - plenty of pictures and exercises.

also, take a look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Get yourself a couple of sessions with a trainer to work through the moves - I took along the relevant pages from New Rules to my gym and asked to be shown those specific routines.
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. . . it is great. Read carefully, it is rather in depth, but great info. You may also want to have a personal trainer for a week or two, just to get you more comfortable in the gym and learn the equipment. Then you can always go off on your own.

Good luck!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recommendation! (: I think I will get a trainer for a week or two once I get paid next - that will help me keep a consistent program, and that keeps me motivated. There's a much bigger gym across the street from my work that I can go to.
  • lornahurley
    lornahurley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have a look on bodybuilding.com and search for Jamie Eason LiveFit program - even if you don't want to follow the program it gives a full body workout, split into muscle groups with videos on how to perform each one.

I also learnt a lot of technique for weights by doing body pump classes, they're a good into into weights if you've never done it before.

Good luck!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Good info...thanks
  • katyhawk0610
    katyhawk0610 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are also group fitness style weight lifting classes that are really great. They are generally cheaper than a trainer (just a gym membership--again, generally cheaper than getting a trainer) and a good class/instructor will get you the form and lingo you need so that if you want to go off on your own after you'll have the tools for a lot lower price tag. I personally think that group fitness is a group motivator because you get to know the people that you work out with and that helps drive you to go when you otherwise might not!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    also, the co-author of new rules for lifting/lifting for women is Alwyn Cosgrove. His wife and partner in their training business Rachel has written a couple of books. I purchased "the female body breakthrough" for my wife and she loves it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Female-Body-Breakthrough-Revolutionary-Strength-Training/dp/1605296937
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    get hold of NEw Rules of Lifting for Women - plenty of pictures and exercises.

also, take a look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Get yourself a couple of sessions with a trainer to work through the moves - I took along the relevant pages from New Rules to my gym and asked to be shown those specific routines.

This.

I highly recommend the trainer for form. I am doing NROL4W and I only see my trainer at the start of each stage to assure my form is correct. When she tells me I am good to go, I don't see her again until the next stage.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great recommendations so far. If you're at all interested in bodyweight exercises (which you might be since you said you'd like to do some of this at home), Mark Lauren is great. He has a book called You Are Your Own Gym as well as an iPhone/iPad app by the same name. I bought the book, then the app. The reading in the book is good but once you've read it, the list of exercises (with pictures, explanations and how to make it easier/harder) is probably all you'll use.

The app is awesome and gets better with each update. I like that the preset workouts are about a half hour and that it'll make me a workout of any length I choose. You do need a couple things (chair/stool, towel, table) but it's all pretty common household stuff.
  • rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tend to dig jeffit quite a bit, because you can change the routines easily, and the animated pictures help me understand the form for lifts I've never done before.