I admit it, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Options

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Is there a paypal or something? I wanna buy you a steak.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    make lentils and beans more flavorful with curry.

minestrone soup is really great too. and fantastic for using up leftovers.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've included my general list of healthy, calorie dense foods below. However, you are in a difficult situation. If you want a low carb diet, then you're going to need to eat more protein and fat. That's why people suggest eggs and fish and nuts (including avocado, which is a nut) because those are some of the best sources of healthy fats.

My main suggestion would be to get a turkey or a couple of whole chickens and roast them once a week. Chicken/Turkey with the skin is almost twice the calories as without. Whole, non-cut-up chicken is pretty cheap too. Full fat dairy, like yogurt, might be another good place to start. Whole grains like Quinoa, Buckwheat, Brown Rice or Oatmeal are rich nutrient sources, tend to be inexpensive, mitigate the effects of cholesterol, but they are also pretty filling.

Calories do not equal fat. They equal the ability to do fun, cool things with your body. And congratulations on your 30 pound loss!

Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit,
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Brown rice
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Also, baked beans! A tin of baked beans costs about 11p and 1 tin contains 9g of protein.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you like nuts, a handful has a lot of good fats and will give you a good calorie bump.
  • mylittletribe
    Options

Lentils and beans, not so much. I don't know how to wow them up, so to me beans = bland and boring. But I would be very interested to hear ways to make them tasty and nice!

Google Tosca Rena's hearty chicken chili. TASTY. It's one of my staples. I make a whole pot and freeze smaller portions for myself for lunches and such.

Other than that, the MOST VERSATILE food is beans and lentils! You can make just about any kind of soup with them! I sometimes mash them up up with some toasted walnuts and flax meal to make bean burgers. Experiment :)
  • Becks41319
    Becks41319 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    3 chicken breasts (pre-cooked) in a store with less than decent quality food, is £3, fresh from a butcher, it's by weight and ends up a lot more. My other halfs sister once bragged to me they bought some lamb which cost £16, and I quietly gnawed my cheek, because thats half my usual weekly budget. Half my weekly budget on one cut of meat for two people, to me, seems wasteful, but then I'm poor, haha so maybe I'm being biased.

I use olive oil now when cooking, but I didn't before, though the dietician recommends I don't fry anything!

Wholefoods, should be much cheaper than they are, but pre-packaged, processed food is so much cheaper. I try to buy fresh when I can, unbreaded, unbattered, it's not always possible, and its something I really tear my hair out over. This should be so much easier than it is haha.

Lentils and beans, not so much. I don't know how to wow them up, so to me beans = bland and boring. But I would be very interested to hear ways to make them tasty and nice!

Make bean soup. It's amazing. I LOVE it and will eat on it for days. If you can get the beans some ham, toss in some jalapenos if you can handle a bit of spice or some hot sauce, and of course pretty much any sort of seasoning you like would work. Just some salt will do wonders on it. I usually have that and cornbread. You can eat on that for many meals, it's healthy and REALLY good.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here is some ideas for getting Beans and lentils in your diet
    I soak all my beans before i cook them for 8 hours or longer
    Then i take 2 cups of lentils cook until done
    then i will take a onion chop it and add it to the pot with canned tomatoes and some chilli powder or curry i also add other spices just depend on what you have in your cupboard
    Hummus is another good thing and its cheap if you make it your self
    Avocados are a really good fat and you don't need a lot of them to get what you need in a day i eat a 1/4 to a 1/2 of one everyday so really the cost is that much
    as far as you don't want to put your son on a diet the food you need to add in your diet each day are a GOOD HELTHY food that everyone should eat in a day they are not diet foods . And veggies are cheap if you don't buy organic they are a good carb
    stay away form PROCESSED food and buy more Veggies and meats
    i couldn't imagine only spending that on food for a week for 4 i spend that in 2 days for 2 people if not more
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you paying for the dietician or are you somehow getting her services for free? If you are paying her, I recommend cut that immediately and use that money for food!

$23 seems really low! Please cut gym memberships, tv, phone, etc.. whatever you have to do to find more money for groceries!

If you really can't find any more cash for groceries, I'll take a crack at a grocery list and menu (these prices are what I would expect in my grocery store, but they might vary at yours)

Bananas - $2
    Oatmeal - $2
    Bread - $1
    Peanut Butter - $2
    Head of lettuce - $1
    Salad dressing - $1
    Can of green beans - $1
    Can of chick peas - $1
    Can of kidney beans - $1
    Bag of red beans - $1
    Bag of rice - $1
    2 bags frozen veggies - $2
    Bag of frozen berries - $1
    Pack of Yogurt - $4
    Hamburger meat - $2

Kids breakfast - oatmeal
    Your breakfast - banana and peanut butter

Kids lunch - peanut butter sandwich and yogurt with berries
    Your lunch - three bean salad and yogurt

Kids dinner - red beans and rice OR hamburger and veggies (use bread as buns)
    Your dinner - red beans OR hamburger (no bun) with frozen veggies or salad

Snacks - Yogurt, bananas, peanut butter, berries

Whew! That was hard, and it is probably not enough food for a week. :( Sorry... I tried!
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    poorgirleatswell.com
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bananas - $2
    Oatmeal - $2
    Bread - $1
    Peanut Butter - $2
    Head of lettuce - $1
    Salad dressing - $1
    Can of green beans - $1
    Can of chick peas - $1
    Can of kidney beans - $1
    Bag of red beans - $1
    Bag of rice - $1
    Pack of Yogurt - $4
    Hamburger meat - $2

Food costs more than that in UK but in £s
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Are you paying for the dietician or are you somehow getting her services for free? If you are paying her, I recommend cut that immediately and use that money for food!

$23 seems really low! Please cut gym memberships, tv, phone, etc.. whatever you have to do to find more money for groceries!

If you really can't find any more cash for groceries, I'll take a crack at a grocery list and menu (these prices are what I would expect in my grocery store, but they might vary at yours)

Bananas - $2
    Oatmeal - $2
    Bread - $1
    Peanut Butter - $2
    Head of lettuce - $1
    Salad dressing - $1
    Can of green beans - $1
    Can of chick peas - $1
    Can of kidney beans - $1
    Bag of red beans - $1
    Bag of rice - $1
    Pack of Yogurt - $4
    Hamburger meat - $2

Kids breakfast - oatmeal
    Your breakfast - banana and peanut butter

Kids lunch - peanut butter sandwich and yogurt with berries
    Your lunch - three bean salad and yogurt

Kids dinner - red beans and rice OR hamburger and veggies (use bread as buns)
    Your dinner - red beans OR hamburger (no bun) with frozen veggies or salad

Snacks - Yogurt, bananas, peanut butter, berries

Whew! That was hard, and it is probably not enough food for a week. :( Sorry... I tried!

I don't know where you live, but where I'm from, food prices are like triple these amounts.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring properly, and if you're truly under you should up your intake. Sounds blunt and simple - cause it is. I used to be 1200, then 1400 and now 1600NET and I find it hard, I am exercising a lot but ALWAYS hungry, I can't believe I used to be on 1200!
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't know where you live, but where I'm from, food prices are like triple these amounts.
    [/quote]

I live in Georgia and shop at Kroger. They have a 10 for $10 special, where you can buy lots of frozen veggies, bread, canned goods for $1 each. BUT, I didn't include tax and as I mentioned, I don't think it is enough food for 2 people. I just wanted to give it a try! Honestly, I think it is impossible to feed a family of 2 low carb on $23 a week.. especially a family that refuses to eat tuna or eggs. But maybe that will give her a start?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The BBC have quite a few articles on eating on a tight budget at the moment - as well as recipes etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22065978

Other suggestions would be baked potatoes, baked beans, whole chickens often very cheap and will do more than one meal.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've stopped my gym membership a couple of months back thinking that would help with the money situation, and the other things I pay for are the essential utilities (gas and electricity).

Fruit is reasonably cheap, as is veg, this is why we get a butt load of it each week. Meat on the other hand is pretty pricey. I just looked in my butchers window on the way past. Chicken is definitely DEFINITELY the cheapest meat I could afford, and beef/steak/lamb/pork? I may as well dream haha. The only time I eat meats like those is when I go to family for sunday dinner.

I also looked for lentils, but surprise surprise, my local mini-supermarket (Brits, Tesco Extra), doesn't stock it. I'm gonna have to wait until my friends decide they want to go to the main one, which is a couple of miles away, as I don't drive, and go with them to pick some stuff up.

Next week it won't be so bad. I'm just on a limited income, and I've been trying to get a job for a long while now. My partner works and tops up food when he can, but even he can't spare much, since we have rent to pay.
  • CM9178
    Options

[/quote]

I live in Georgia and shop at Kroger. They have a 10 for $10 special, where you can buy lots of frozen veggies, bread, canned goods for $1 each. BUT, I didn't include tax and as I mentioned, I don't think it is enough food for 2 people. I just wanted to give it a try! Honestly, I think it is impossible to feed a family of 2 low carb on $23 a week.. especially a family that refuses to eat tuna or eggs. But maybe that will give her a start?
    [/quote]

Yeah that is going to vary around the country and in other countries. I'm in NJ, we don't even have Kroger. But I've never seen hamburger meat for $2, or bread for $1.
    We have $10 for $10 specials and they are usually only canned items.
    The cheapest you can get fresh chicken breast for is $1.99/lb for a 3lb package.

On $23 a week for 4 people, you'd be living on rice and beans I think. Absolutely no fresh fruit or veggies.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I've stopped my gym membership a couple of months back thinking that would help with the money situation, and the other things I pay for are the essential utilities (gas and electricity).

Fruit is reasonably cheap, as is veg, this is why we get a butt load of it each week. Meat on the other hand is pretty pricey. I just looked in my butchers window on the way past. Chicken is definitely DEFINITELY the cheapest meat I could afford, and beef/steak/lamb/pork? I may as well dream haha. The only time I eat meats like those is when I go to family for sunday dinner.

I also looked for lentils, but surprise surprise, my local mini-supermarket (Brits, Tesco Extra), doesn't stock it. I'm gonna have to wait until my friends decide they want to go to the main one, which is a couple of miles away, as I don't drive, and go with them to pick some stuff up.

Next week it won't be so bad. I'm just on a limited income, and I've been trying to get a job for a long while now. My partner works and tops up food when he can, but even he can't spare much, since we have rent to pay.
    don't they sell meat in your supermarket? I would think that would be cheaper than at a butcher??
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've seen pork joints at £2 per kg in asda before. You really wont get cheaper than that.

Also 2 miles to your local supermarket, that's only 30mins walk each way.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I used to have a budget of $40-$60 a month for groceries. So I totally understand being on a very tight budget.

BUT.... I like eggs and tuna so I stocked up on those... haha

Definitey go for peanut butter. You can use it with bread, celery, apples, on a spoon, etc...

If milk prices are the same, go for full fat. It will give you extra calories, make you feel more full, and hopefully won't affect your budget.

See if you can get more calorie dense veggies, like corn, potatoes, etc... Potatoes should be relatively cheap, and are filling. Plus you can slice them, coat with oil and a little seasoning or salt and bake/broil them. :smile: Delicious.....

What about brown rice? I don't know what the cost is for rice, but if it's cheap, you can add a little of that to dinners. It should last a while depending on how much you get.

I think a few people mentioned crockpot stews and that BBC link. Definitely worth checking out!