why am I losing so slow?

Options

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is not slow. Count your blessings I lose 2 ounces every two weeks...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Because I strongly believe that anyone who suddnenly starts hitting the gym "everyday", even with bad form and low calorie intake would gain muscle. I am well under my "recommended" calories as a male, yet I am seeing considerable muscle gains. The science of low calorie diets preventing muscle gain really does not match reality, just like this starvation mode malarchy everyone is throwing around on these forums.

Hold your horses young padawan.

If you are an overweight and / or untrained beginner you can see dramatic increases in fat free mass / lean body mass whilst losing significant amounts of fat. The following study (which used underwater weighing based on the Archimedes principle - science is groovy - which although better than other standards does still have a sizable margin of error) shows what can be achieved:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9309627

The cross training group lost an average of 16lbs of fat whilst gaining 9.5lbs of fat free mass (some lost more some lost less etc)

Whether this FFM is all muscle (as in increased density of myofibrils - do you see my username? well do you?) is speculation but unlikely in my view, particularly in the long term.

So, overweight / new to training / athletes coming off a layoff / steroid users may see some increase in the short term but this will not be a long term state (your body can't really do anabolic and catabolic states at the same time.)

Every loser wins.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Here's a better question: Why are you trying to lose so fast?

Photo shoot? Runway? Competing in a show?

If you're not getting paid for your physique why try to lose as much as possible as fast as possible and risk hating the whole process? Reassess your goals and why you're doing this in the first place.

This above.

Don't be discouraged. Although cliche, it's still true: Not a sprint, but a marathon.

You can do this. Remember, for many of us trying to loose weight, we are not just changing our nutrition and exercise activities to be healthier/slimmer, we are reshaping the way we think about food and making healthier habits. It takes a long time.

This. Don't put all your focus into losing a pound or however much during the week. As long as you do your workouts and eat your meals, whatever they may be, you'll see results eventually. I honestly think the slower the better, if you lose too fast you may gain it back faster.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    i havent been eating exercise cals back, It wouldnt hurt to try to eat before 6.

Eat when you want based on on energy levels, preference and adherence. That is far far more important that any possible negligible differences in weight loss vis a vis meal timing.

While it is not a huge issue at the moment as you have quite a lot of weigh to lose, I would really suggest that you start increasing your calories. Low calories can have a bunch of negative effects, that can put your weight loss and health at risk, including hormonal imbalances, possible nutrient (macro and micro) deficiencies, increased loss risk of loss of LBM, adherence (significantly restricting can lead to binging), decreased energy (thereby making your workouts less effective) among others. You really do not need to be that low to lose weight at a decent pace.

MFP is set up such that you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I would recommend eating back 50 - 75% of them to account for any estimation errors.

This article discusses the impact of large deficits, especially ones that are created due to lots of activity.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

OP,

Listen to this woman. She is well informed, very thoughtful, and has helped many people.

Good luck!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I feel like im force feeding myself after about 1000 cals, Trying to add more fiber full fruits but the cals seem hard to eat!! im going to up my cals and see what happens.

If you're having trouble getting your calories, change what you are eating. Try adding more healthy fatty foods: Nuts, avacados, etc. More protein is a good way to go to help with calories and not having to feel like you are force feeding yourself.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    i havent been eating exercise cals back, It wouldnt hurt to try to eat before 6.

Eat when you want based on on energy levels, preference and adherence. That is far far more important that any possible negligible differences in weight loss vis a vis meal timing.

While it is not a huge issue at the moment as you have quite a lot of weigh to lose, I would really suggest that you start increasing your calories. Low calories can have a bunch of negative effects, that can put your weight loss and health at risk, including hormonal imbalances, possible nutrient (macro and micro) deficiencies, increased loss risk of loss of LBM, adherence (significantly restricting can lead to binging), decreased energy (thereby making your workouts less effective) among others. You really do not need to be that low to lose weight at a decent pace.

MFP is set up such that you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I would recommend eating back 50 - 75% of them to account for any estimation errors.

This article discusses the impact of large deficits, especially ones that are created due to lots of activity.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

OP,

Listen to this woman. She is well informed, very thoughtful, and has helped many people.

Good luck!

^Exactly. Sara definitely knows what she's talking about.

Plus she has the body to prove it!! :love:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I agree to a certain extent, but I was honestly eating abut 700-1000 calories before bed. Now although I am not a massive follower of "meal timings" I believe that what I was consuming just before bed had to cause weight gain. In fact im almost certain of it because as soon as I switched to eating breakfasts and never past 6, even though the food was the same, I began loosing weight immediatly. That was a long time ago anyway, I am now on quite a tight diet. I raise this point as the OP may be doing something similar

This may have more to do with when you are weighing in vs. when you are eating. Do you weigh first thing in the morning?
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my body 'hanging' onto fat.

It doesn't mean you won't in the future though. At some point eating at that kind of deficit your fat loss will probably slow to a halt. Plus you are very likely to start eating into your muscle if you carry on doing what you are doing. This is not good. It will only get you into the pattern of yo yo weight gain/loss and eating VLCD for the rest of your life.

Yes, I can attest to too low a calorie intake for too long being the rock in the road that stops the last 20 lbs from moving off. (For me).
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options

OP,

Good luck!

I agree. All the conflicting responses you will get, when you ask for advice here, can really be confusing. I believe you can trust recommendations you get from Sara. She gives level-headed and wise advice, which you can follow to your benefit.

Follow some basic guidelines that are generally true for all, then tweak to fit in with your individual body needs and lifestyle choices.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    logging all my food, getting measured every month, next is this friday. Also use bodymedia band. my calorie deficit has been about 2000 a day.

O__O why would u even need that big of a deficit?
    I don't understand when people say I can't eat this much. Not to be harsh or anything, but you gained weight by over eating, we all did...you CAN eat enough. Eat higher calories foods.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

OP,

Good luck!

I agree. All the conflicting responses you will get, when you ask for advice here, can really be confusing. I believe you can trust recommendations you get from Sara. She gives level-headed and wise advice, which you can follow to your benefit.

Follow some basic guidelines that are generally true for all, then tweak to fit in with your individual body needs and lifestyle choices.

I will also agree. Sara knows what she is talkin about
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First of all, What are your macros? How many carbs, protein and fat are you getting?

A calorie from fat is not the same as it is from protein or carbs. Your body will handle these in different ways.
    You need to eat more calories especially if you are doing a lot of exercise. But you need to get these calories from the right sources.
    I suggest a high fat, medium protein and very low carb approach. Carbs especially grains, sugars or anything processed will cause your blood sugars to rise to high and can easily cause insulin spikes leading to fat storage even if you have a defecit.
    Obtain your carbs only from non starchy vegetables and aim for 50-80g a day.
    You should have about 130g protein especially if your looking to replace fat with lean muscle. And you should source all energy from fat. No trans fats, no hydrogenated fats.
    I recommend butter, grass fed or organic animal meats, avacados, nuts/seeds, eggs, coconuts and olive oil/coconut oil.
    Don't eat anything processed. Whatsoever. None of these protein bars or granolas.

^^ignore this. You will not store fat in an energy deficit. There is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods, as long as you get a balanced diet otherwise. Re fats - just avoid trans fats and get your fats from a variety of sources.
  • mindycrls2
    mindycrls2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    when i get a deficit of 2000 its on the days that i exercise hard and dont eat the calories back. Thank you everyone, thanks sarah :)
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my body 'hanging' onto fat.

It doesn't mean you won't in the future though. At some point eating at that kind of deficit your fat loss will probably slow to a halt. Plus you are very likely to start eating into your muscle if you carry on doing what you are doing. This is not good. It will only get you into the pattern of yo yo weight gain/loss and eating VLCD for the rest of your life.

I don't want to be muscley, I've never yo yo'ed. I stopped dieting (by dieting I mean stopped watching what I ate) after doing a LCD and I gradually put on about 10lbs over 3 years. Hardly something to be concerned about. I ate a normal amount after being on a LCD for about 9 months so I'm not particularly worried.

And I didn't get any muscle loss.
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here's a better question: Why are you trying to lose so fast?

Photo shoot? Runway? Competing in a show?

If you're not getting paid for your physique why try to lose as much as possible as fast as possible and risk hating the whole process? Reassess your goals and why you're doing this in the first place.

This above.

Don't be discouraged. Although cliche, it's still true: Not a sprint, but a marathon.

You can do this. Remember, for many of us trying to loose weight, we are not just changing our nutrition and exercise activities to be healthier/slimmer, we are reshaping the way we think about food and making healthier habits. It takes a long time.

^^^^This. I TOTALLY agree with my friend. It's hard not to beat yourself up... Please be gentle on yourself (I am REALLY trying to heed to my own advice as I'm a hard core perfectionist and lack patience when it comes to getting healthy and losing weight, but I'm working on it). Bottom line, ONLY you know what is best for YOU. GL and don't give up. U can do this. :smile:
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I lose about a pound a week, whats wrong with that? Last week ?I lost nearly 2, and I am eating back all my cals from exercising. your body is going into starvation and it's holding onto calories because you are trying to drop them way too fast.

2000 cal a day deficit is scary. I'm lucky if I'm under by 100 cals a day. Most days I'm over, and I'm still losing weight. Don't rush it.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy I went from eating 350 calories a day struggling with a eat disorder exercising 4hrs a day plus to gradually upping my calories finally making my calorie intake in the 1000 and nearly burning all I eat for the most part and I consistently lose weight! I really feel when you do eat a little the food you do need eat make sure it's healthy lean meats veggies and fruits but I don't recommend eating low calories! I'm averaging 3lbs a week give or take! :ohwell: I'm proud of myself regardless and I think even if you lose half a pound a week it's a half of pound less!

Don't give up you can do this!

I'm actually forcing myself to eat as much as I do there are still days I only eat 900 calories! And burn 700 netting 200ish

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I suspect you're still struggling with an eating disorder. You've just changed how you're not consuming/maintaining calories. Take it from someone who has been struggling with body image since I was 13 and back dealing with disordered thinking about food issues since (at least) the beginning of the this year, you can rearrange the food on your plate any way you want (metaphorically speaking), but netting 200 calories a day is disordered eating. I hope you're working with someone to help you move beyond this before the bad stuff starts happening. You are young and beautiful and I don't want to be my age and still dealing with this.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lose about a pound a week, whats wrong with that? Last week ?I lost nearly 2, and I am eating back all my cals from exercising. your body is going into starvation and it's holding onto calories because you are trying to drop them way too fast.

2000 cal a day deficit is scary. I'm lucky if I'm under by 100 cals a day. Most days I'm over, and I'm still losing weight. Don't rush it.

This. Some people don't even have 2000 calories for their net. I have read some truly horrifying advice in this thread. My doctor told me under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should a woman eat less than 1200 calories net a day. Period. You can do major damage to your body eating too little calories.

Losing a pound a week is fine. Especially if you don't have a lot of weight to lose. I usually have a large number of calories leftover a day (but not 2000, dayum girl, eat something!) , but that is because I am very obese. You need to figure out your BMR and at least eat that. The guidelines on MFP are very safe and reasonable. Eat back your exercise calories. I don't know if anyone has said this, but MPF already figures in the deficiet BEFORE they give you a calorie goal.

And also, eating cleaner IS good advice. You can eat whatever you want, but eating whole foods instead of processed ones has made me feel a whole lot better. This is a lifestyle change. You have to think "Can I do this for the rest of my life?" If the answer is no, then you are doing it wrong. Make sensible changes that you can live with

And God, girl, PLEASE EAT MORE!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

THIS