why am I losing so slow?

Options

Replies

• mindycrls2
    mindycrls2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    logging all my food, getting measured every month, next is this friday. Also use bodymedia band. my calorie deficit has been about 2000 a day.
  • mindycrls2
    Options
    They were today thats for sure! subway was high!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    logging all my food, getting measured every month, next is this friday. Also use bodymedia band. my calorie deficit has been about 2000 a day.

When did you start doing cardio and when did you start using the machines?
  • mindycrls2
    Options
    cardio about 2 months, machines about 3 weeks, this is my fourth week this week
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Honest story here. My sodium levels are really low and have been for weeks and I drink about 8 pints a day of water. I know my water weight is extremely low right now but a few weeks ago I had quite a salty meal and didnt drink much after it, I was really thirsty all night and I honestly gained like 6lbs after it all.

I didnt panic as I knew that it was water weight I had gaind that week and not "real fat". Checking your sodium levels and water intake is always great.

What kind of times do you eat on a regular basis? I became quite overweight not because of what I was eating really but the way I was eating. I used to skip breakfast every morning and sometimes even lunch and binge at like midnight.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Honest story here. My sodium levels are really low and have been for weeks and I drink about 8 pints a day of water. I know my water weight is extremely low right now but a few weeks ago I had quite a salty meal and didnt drink much after it, I was really thirsty all night and I honestly gained like 6lbs after it all.

I didnt panic as I knew that it was water weight I had gaind that week and not "real fat". Checking your sodium levels and water intake is always great.

What kind of times do you eat on a regular basis? I became quite overweight not because of what I was eating really but the way I was eating. I used to skip breakfast every morning and sometimes even lunch and binge at like midnight.

I don't think meal timings have any effect on weight loss. I think this is a myth.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    cardio about 2 months, machines about 3 weeks, this is my fourth week this week

You may well be retaining more water than usual then which is masking 'real' weight loss. When you start strength training, your muscles gain glycogen and water to repair them (it normal and part of the process) - this can be quite a few pounds and can take a few weeks to even out. This, as well as sodium intake as well as our cycles can overshadow 'real weight loss. Give it another week and see how you are doing as you will have had 4 weeks by then since you started strength training so your water weight should be settling down.

Is the 1,400 you eat gross or do you also 'eat your exercise calories back'?
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I agree to a certain extent, but I was honestly eating abut 700-1000 calories before bed. Now although I am not a massive follower of "meal timings" I believe that what I was consuming just before bed had to cause weight gain. In fact im almost certain of it because as soon as I switched to eating breakfasts and never past 6, even though the food was the same, I began loosing weight immediatly. That was a long time ago anyway, I am now on quite a tight diet. I raise this point as the OP may be doing something similar
  • mindycrls2
    Options
    i havent been eating exercise cals back, It wouldnt hurt to try to eat before 6.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    i havent been eating exercise cals back

Start
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling with your appetite (you said you feel as if you're force feeding yourself) try adding some high calorie foods but ones that are packed with goodness like a small handful of nuts. This will help to get your calorie intake up, and they're really good for you.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... why burn so many calories? why net only 200?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    i havent been eating exercise cals back, It wouldnt hurt to try to eat before 6.

Eat when you want based on on energy levels, preference and adherence. That is far far more important that any possible negligible differences in weight loss vis a vis meal timing.

While it is not a huge issue at the moment as you have quite a lot of weigh to lose, I would really suggest that you start increasing your calories. Low calories can have a bunch of negative effects, that can put your weight loss and health at risk, including hormonal imbalances, possible nutrient (macro and micro) deficiencies, increased loss risk of loss of LBM, adherence (significantly restricting can lead to binging), decreased energy (thereby making your workouts less effective) among others. You really do not need to be that low to lose weight at a decent pace.

MFP is set up such that you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I would recommend eating back 50 - 75% of them to account for any estimation errors.

This article discusses the impact of large deficits, especially ones that are created due to lots of activity.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It is very easy to overestimate the amount of calories that our bodies are burning and underestimate the calories that we eat and drink. However you are doing an excellent job of losing weight at the rate recommended by mfp. Weight loss on the scale is not consistent because of water weight fluctuations. One pound per week is not slow weight loss. Eating more calories is not going to make you lose at a faster rate but if it would make it easier for you to continue with a healthier lifestyle then it could be a good thing. Either way keep up the great job you have been doing.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Can you clarify what you mean by a deficit of 2000 a day?

Do you mean your expenditure according to your bodymedia band is 3000, and you are only eating 1000?
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    It is very easy to overestimate the amount of calories that our bodies are burning and underestimate the calories that we eat and drink. However you are doing an excellent job of losing weight at the rate recommended by mfp. Weight loss on the scale is not consistent because of water weight fluctuations. One pound per week is not slow weight loss. Eating more calories is not going to make you lose at a faster rate but if it would make it easier for you to continue with a healthier lifestyle then it could be a good thing. Either way keep up the great job you have been doing.

If your ticker is correct then all I have to say is you are the god of awesomeness when it comes to weight loss!! Jeez! Well done!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy I went from eating 350 calories a day struggling with a eat disorder exercising 4hrs a day plus to gradually upping my calories finally making my calorie intake in the 1000 and nearly burning all I eat for the most part and I consistently lose weight! I really feel when you do eat a little the food you do need eat make sure it's healthy lean meats veggies and fruits but I don't recommend eating low calories! I'm averaging 3lbs a week give or take! :ohwell: I'm proud of myself regardless and I think even if you lose half a pound a week it's a half of pound less!

Don't give up you can do this!

I'm actually forcing myself to eat as much as I do there are still days I only eat 900 calories! And burn 700 netting 200ish

Are you seeing a professional to help you recover? Netting 200 is not something to be proud of..it is frightening...the long term effects of this type of behavior can be serious.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

take care.:flowerforyou:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Because I strongly believe that anyone who suddnenly starts hitting the gym "everyday", even with bad form and low calorie intake would gain muscle. I am well under my "recommended" calories as a male, yet I am seeing considerable muscle gains. The science of low calorie diets preventing muscle gain really does not match reality, just like this starvation mode malarchy everyone is throwing around on these forums.

Dude, you're 20 and male.

Right now ANYTHING you do should net you results, if they don't you should seriously consider getting yourself checked by the doctor.

That being said, you're not seeing considerable muscle gains while eating well under your 'recommended' calories. Either you're underestimating your calorie intake or overestimating your muscle mass increases, probably both.

The science of low calorie diets preventing muscle gain does, in fact, match reality. The problem is people see someone leaning out and that makes it look like, visually, they've gained muscle.

Getting leaner and exposing pre-existing muscle mass != muscle mass increases
    Muscle swelling from glycogen/water retention != muscle mass increases
    Having a strong belief or opinion about something not based on scientific evidence != fact
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    First of all, What are your macros? How many carbs, protein and fat are you getting?

A calorie from fat is not the same as it is from protein or carbs. Your body will handle these in different ways.
    You need to eat more calories especially if you are doing a lot of exercise. But you need to get these calories from the right sources.
    I suggest a high fat, medium protein and very low carb approach. Carbs especially grains, sugars or anything processed will cause your blood sugars to rise to high and can easily cause insulin spikes leading to fat storage even if you have a defecit.
    Obtain your carbs only from non starchy vegetables and aim for 50-80g a day.
    You should have about 130g protein especially if your looking to replace fat with lean muscle. And you should source all energy from fat. No trans fats, no hydrogenated fats.
    I recommend butter, grass fed or organic animal meats, avacados, nuts/seeds, eggs, coconuts and olive oil/coconut oil.
    Don't eat anything processed. Whatsoever. None of these protein bars or granolas.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Here's a better question: Why are you trying to lose so fast?

Photo shoot? Runway? Competing in a show?

If you're not getting paid for your physique why try to lose as much as possible as fast as possible and risk hating the whole process? Reassess your goals and why you're doing this in the first place.

This above.

Don't be discouraged. Although cliche, it's still true: Not a sprint, but a marathon.

You can do this. Remember, for many of us trying to loose weight, we are not just changing our nutrition and exercise activities to be healthier/slimmer, we are reshaping the way we think about food and making healthier habits. It takes a long time.