Is everybody just "counting calories"?

Options
1235»

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories and eating healthier than I used to for almost 2 weeks and, I was expecting a little more weigh loss but Im still happy with my progress. I was following a diet plan but no to the "t", it was more like a "guide" for me, but I was counting my calories, (not carbs or fat) and this week I haven't seen any weigh loss so far (5 days) I have a ton of weigh to loose so I'm a little dissapointed. I just need a little feed back on what is your program? Are you following a diet plan? or just counting calories? I cut back on carbs and fats too, I was wondering if that matters..... ?????

I count my calories and try to eat as nutritiously as possible. Lean meats, frutis and veggies with the least amounts of sodium, trans fats, sugars, and artificial sweeteners as possible.

Suprisingly, nutritious food is more filling and you can eat more of it. I had a 6 ounce lean sirloin the other day...210 calories in it. I could eat two of those for every hostess apple pie I can get at the gas station.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    theres a lot more to losing weight than just counting calories. it's a nice starting point, but there is sooooo much more to being fit than just calorie count.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    losing weight
    being fit

Two different things entirely. For losing weight, it IS all just about the calories. Body composition afterwards however, is a different matter.
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Since starting logging food, I realised quickly that what you eat does matter in the battle. If you want to be able to stick to your calorie goal, you can't be consuming a day's worth of calories in one sandwich, for instance. So the flip side of that is that if you choose foods which are more filling, but low calorie, you can go through your day feeling satisfied and stick to your plan... and success will follow.

With that in mind I started out by looking at Calories, and also Carbs / Protein / Fat, with a vague aim of eating more protein and less fat. After a while I noticed that the Sodium column was out of control (just never really looked at it before) so I started to pay more attention to all information on labels.

For what it's worth, I'm on 1400 cal/day and most days I am fine with it, when I am making good choices. As I go about my day, I mentally allow an average of 300-350 cals for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, plus 350 for snacks. If one of my meals is higher, I compensate with the others. So when I am making those good choices, an example would be for lunch I might have a big salad (about 600g) and then add to it 100g of either ham / cold chicken / tuna / egg. My calories for that lunch would come in between 200 and 320, with protein of up to 35g and carbs of less than 10g. And after that, I am not remotely hungry for a few hours, it really is satisfying. On the other hand if I had something like I would have before I started paying attention, the same calorie allowance might "buy" me half a sausage roll, and I know for a fact I would be hungry again a couple of hours sooner if that is what I ate. So yes, there's more to it than calories.

I have a follow-on question though - any suggestions on ways to increase protein without increasing carbs and sodium?
    My current macros are set at Carbohydrates 40% / Protein 40% / Fat 20%

In reality, I am consistently very close to my macro goals on carbs and fat, but only managing to eat about half of my protein goal most days.
    I am finding that the majority of food I would normally have has significantly more carbs than protein, so if I stop when I get to the carb limit, I am naturally going to end up with only half of the Protein.
    Also, on the rare days I managed to get all the protein and only go over a little on carbs, I see that I am WAY over on sodium!
    Protein and sodium seem to go together in many foods. Any tips would be welcome.
  • socalifas
    Options
    The thing a lot of people do is to overcomplicate this process of losing fat. For MOST of us, it really doesn't matter WHAT we eat, as long as we do the following:

1) Eat a calorie deficit

2) Hit your macros (Fat, Protein, etc)

3) Lift heavy.

There you go. That's it, for most people. Do that, and you will lose fat, while maintaining most of your muscle mass. All this cut this out, cut that out, dont have this, drink more of that etc are just ways to the same goal, and overcomplicate it.

How you get to the calorie deficit can be through diet, exercise, or better yet, both. It's all I did, and it worked like a charm. :)

Amen
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories so much as I watch my macros and micros. I consider myself an athlete, I focus on the active side of the equation and feed myself to either fuel my workouts or recovery. Everything I eat has a purpose from that perspective, and I watch my macros and micros to decide what I need to eat when. If I need more protein, I choose something with protein. If I need more potassium, that's what I choose. So many people do it backwards.. they eat and then try to exercise it off. Remember, dieters aren't skinny.. athletes are.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    theres a lot more to losing weight than just counting calories. it's a nice starting point, but there is sooooo much more to being fit than just calorie count.

This. I don't think I will ever stop learning and I like that!
  • Pauline39
    Pauline39 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a small kitchen scale to weigh fruits and vegetables and breakfast cereals (i.e. 100 g. fresh strawberries and . 52 g. Fiber One with Honey Clusters) and measure (i.e. 1/2 cup soy milk, starting the day watching the fiber and calcium first, During the day balance the macros, and later in the day, watch the calories and stop eating before reaching the calorie goal.
  • upperleft
    upperleft Posts: 2
    Options
    You flushed out a lot of water weight when your carb intake dropped. As long as you are patient and honest with your intake, the weight will come off.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yup, just calories. I do not bother with sodium because I really dont care about water weight. Fat weight is whats important. I eat whatever I feel like eating.