women weighlifting

Options
I have been doing only cardio and want to add weight lifting. Any good DVD'S or programs for beinngers? I would love to start this out with a good video but havent had luck finding one.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good books out there like New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength for which you can use youtube to look up proper form and demonstrations of each move. I'm doing NROL, myself, and I love it!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I a hoping to stat Chalene Extreme after I am done Turbo Fire. But, you will find that a lot of the DVD programs, especially thru BeachBody have strength training mixed with cardio.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I have been doing only cardio and want to add weight lifting. Any good DVD'S or programs for beinngers? I would love to start this out with a good video but havent had luck finding one.

For weights, it's mostly online programmes and e-books. The gold standards are:

Starting Strength (e-book - fantastic detail on lift mechanics)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (free online - has form pointers, videos online)
    NROL4W (e-book/book - again takes you through lift mechanics)
    All Pros SBR (free online - no form pointers, but you can get those from youtube)

There are others (such as JasonDB's 5x5, etc) but any of the above will get you started.

If you want to know more about the mechanics of squatting and benching, google for "so you think you can squat" and "so you think you can bench" from elitefts. These guys know everything there is to be known about these lifts and you can glean some great info and form tips form these vid series.

Good luck!
  • sdewal
    sdewal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You could check with your local University Extension office and see if they offer the Strong Women Strong Bones classes. They are a great way to learn basic weightlifting exercises safely and inexpensively. You can also look for programs at www.strongwomen.com
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

For weights, it's mostly online programmes and e-books. The gold standards are:

Starting Strength (e-book - fantastic detail on lift mechanics)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (free online - has form pointers, videos online)
    NROL4W (e-book/book - again takes you through lift mechanics)
    All Pros SBR (free online - no form pointers, but you can get those from youtube)

There are others (such as JasonDB's 5x5, etc) but any of the above will get you started.

If you want to know more about the mechanics of squatting and benching, google for "so you think you can squat" and "so you think you can bench" from elitefts. These guys know everything there is to be known about these lifts and you can glean some great info and form tips form these vid series.

Good luck!

bump
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lift at home, there are numerous DVDS that incorporate lifting with a bit of cardio. Jillian Michaels is one of the most popular. I like Jackie Warner, a lot. I also like Cindi Whitmarsh and Jessica Smith. Try your library first. If you have Amazon prime, you can stream workout videos. You can also go to collagevideo.com and read reviews of various workouts.