Swim cap to keep hair dry?

Options
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a brand/type of swim cap for long hair to keep my long hair protected from chlorinated pool water? Everywhere I have researched I have found that swim caps are for resistance not to protect hair but there has to be some brand of swim cap out there that will keep my hair from getting destroyed by the chlorine! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have very fine and brittle hair. The main reason I wear a swim cap is to keep the hair out of my eyes and the goggles strap from getting caught in my hair, though.

I HIGHLY recommend Sally Beauty Supply's anti-chlorine shampoo (Ion Swimmer's Shampoo). MUCH cheaper than other brands, and works GREAT!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, no swim cap will protect your hair completely.

To protect your hair, it's best to soak it thoroughly in the shower, and maybe also apply some leave-in conditioner, before putting on your cap. If your hair is already wet, it can't absorb as much chlorinated water.

After your swim, remove the cap and shampoo and condition your hair. For best results, use a brand specifically for swimmers.
  • Kipperdoodle13
    Kipperdoodle13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

To protect your hair, it's best to soak it thoroughly in the shower, and maybe also apply some leave-in conditioner, before putting on your cap. If your hair is already wet, it can't absorb as much chlorinated water.

After your swim, remove the cap and shampoo and condition your hair. For best results, use a brand specifically for swimmers.

please do not put conditioner or anything in your hair before getting into the pool....I am allergic to perfumes, when you put stuff in your hair, even with a cap, some of it comes out in the water. If I am anywhere near someone who does this, I will probably have to either move (if there is a lane available) it makes me physically ill. I am sure there are others out there who have allergy's also

do like the other poster suggested, get the swimmers shampoo from sally's it works great.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options

This. I'm a hard core swimmer.

Paul Mitchell makes a good after swim product. I get my hair highlighted at Gene Juarez, and they can't see any damage from swimming. Leave the shampoo on for several minutes (shave your legs!) to give time for the chemical reaction to occur.

I tried the conditioner thing, but it can make your swim cap slip off if your head is shaped just righ (or wrong).

Also, rinse and towel dry your swim cap after, and apply a little powder inside to keep it from sticking together and tearing.
  • Kipperdoodle13
    Kipperdoodle13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also color my hair, and its very thick, so I am concerned about using swim shampoos, but I have heard good things about Paul Mitchell. I have also heard good things about Kenra's clarifying shampoo. I will have to try them for after I swim, which is really only 2-3 times per week. I bought a bubble swim cap, so I am thinking of trying that over my regular swim cap.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Swim caps aren't going to do the trick. Wet hair thoroughly before going in. Apply some plain old coconut oil. And then make sure to thoroughly wash or at least rinse hair immediately after getting out of the water.