Hi...I'm the future "Guy who lost 250 punds"

Options
Just joined and already addicted to this place. Got tired of trying to lose weight, lose 30 pounds, gain it all back and just get the typical sympathetic "It's hard to lose weight. Try again." comments from friends and family. Came to the realization that they really didn't believe I'd lose it anyway and after 20 YEARS OF FAILING I can't blame them. That ticked me off, not at them, at myself. Yes, my weight ballooned up to 470 pounds and I know it's going to take a while to get there and it ticks me off that I waited to get serious about it. But I'm serious about it and if you don't believe me please let me know so I can add you to the wall of names that I see as motivating me with spite.

I've never failed at anything I've seen through to the end except losing weight. Never. Not once. And I'm screaming mad that I've failed at the easiest thing I've ever tried to do. Losing weight is easy....losing the addiction to burritos is hard. Well forget them....I have a new goal.

I want to be that guy who loses so much weight people don't know who he is. I want to be standing there when my kids are looking through old photo albums and ask who the fat guy is and I cringe and tell them that used to be me. I want to lose so much weight that fat people come to me for advice. I want a mountain bike that I can ride without having to get the seat extracted from my big *kitten*.....I want a kayak that won't sink when I get in it....I want horses to stop running away when they see me coming.

So....if anybody wants to have some fun being an antagonistic, brutally honest accountability partner by all means add me. I promise to post my current weight at least five times a week and I promise that I'll actually post what the scale says. When I lose the first 100 pounds and you tell me I'm still fat I won't hate you. Okay, I will hate you but not in a burn your house down kind of way. Then, a couple of years from now when I finish that first marathon I'll cross the finish line with the thought of "Screw those guys. I love them." in my head just for you.

Replies

• action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it is simple, but difficult. Your body will throw temper tantrums and you will have cravings and you will "lose motivation" (which really means your mood will change). So what? You eat less, you move more. It works whether you are in the mood or not, whether you believe in it or not. All you have to do is DO IT. It helps me to deal with cravings to remember that my body is a toddler. Yours is too. Seriously. It's a toddler. What it REALLY wants is vibrant health. It doesn't remember what that feels like. But it DOES remember that last sugar and fat filled food fueled dopamine rush. So it asks for that. And it asks for that persistently. That's what a craving is. It's your body's temper tantrum asking for the cheap imitation of health that is the only thing it can think of to fulfill that longing deep inside. Your body is a toddler. Treat it like one: give it firm limits, lots of love, a healthy routine, plenty of healthy fluids, and the right kind of fuel to build and maintain itself. You wouldn't give your two year old soda and a candy bar just to get him to shut the hell up for a few minutes, so don't do it to yourself.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    thistimewillbedifferent Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You have a great sense of humor! Welcome to MFP and best of luck with your lifestyle changes -- feel free to add me even though I'm not in the category of people who think you can't do it.
  • patwhatley
    patwhatley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You eat less, you move more.

See....I told you it was simple. BAM! Two steps and we're done. Building that birdhouse I saw on pinterest was harder than that.
  • Cycotic
    Cycotic Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm new and I'll jump in with you! I was at 270 a week ago and have a ways to go! I'm in the same boat man (or kayak :P)...
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Your too funny in a good sort of way. Good luck on this journey to become a better version of yourself. Take it one day at a time and no matter what you do. Don't quit!! If you fall down. Get up and dust the dirt off your knees and keep going for your goals.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It is a wonderful system - not fast but amazingly effective. Eat less, move more, write it all down, and if you have a bad meal or a even a bad day, don't use it as an excuse to give up. Good luck to you.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love your tag line.... that's the best attitude to have. Welcome to MFP.... my best advice is get involved here, stay involved and build your support network. It's a great resource and there are a lot of great people with great advice. Good luck on your journey!!!

PS- I'd love to be on your team but be forewarned I'm currently pregnant and probably have very different goals. I'll let you decide :)
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Seeing all your "i wants" gives me hope because I truly believe if anyone wants anything bad enough it will happen.

I get you though. Following the rules is easy. It's all a mind game. It's your mind that gets you off track.

Just keep wanting it!! That's what I hope also to do.

I liked your post ;)
  • vintagechick28
    Options
    ....I want horses to stop running away when they see me coming.

Literally laughed out loud! Welcome!
  • mitziku
    mitziku Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Jump in the weight loss kayak with us! I hear ya about the things you want. I had the same sense of "I've never quit at anything" too. I've yo-yo'ed all my life and finally got sick of it. I've been at this for a year now. It's a journey, but it's worth it. BTW, I kayaked across an 8 mile lake when I weighed a lot more - you won't sink (and you won't sink here either!) I'm now at the point where people are starting to not recognize. It's interesting because I've always felt like I've been the same person. Anyway, welcome. Add me if you'd like. :)
  • mitziku
    mitziku Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    (Response to vintagechick2) - I smiled when you posted that. I was in Mexico a few years ago and our "Day Activity" was to go horseback riding. A few of us chunkier gals decided to do that rather than zip line or ATV riding. We were told that we were too big for the horses. :( Very embarrassing. Then again, when I saw the horses and their ribs sticking out, I think one of the Olsen twins would have been too big for them. It was an eye-opener tho!
  • Copperlash
    Copperlash Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome, Future-Guy-Who-Lost-250-Pounds. You look ready to do this thing. Go you!
  • janfish2
    janfish2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just had a burritto for lunch.
    I just planned for it and have a date with a 1,000 calorie burn of excercise tonight (dragon boat practice & a 40 minute walk)

You can do this. It's about planning - learning to move again - and enjoy it.
    So keep loving burritos just don't eat them every meal. :happy:

Just remember it's a life journey not a short drive.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your topic made me have to click on it to see what this is all about! I am sending a friend request.....sink or swim time I am in! Anyone can friend me ...I log everyday and am in this for the duration! Great attitude :)
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy! Good for you! I've already lost a couple inches off my waist, and I've found it's not so much about cutting out all the bad as opposed it's just a little bit of junk once in a while. :) Feel free to add me, guys!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can - and will - do it. It'll be easy for a few days, and by about day 3 or 4, you'll want to reach for a cookie or can of soda or a burrito. But remember that this is a forever improvement on your lifestyle and health... weight loss is just a side effect of living more healthfully.

Congrats on joining and way to get your butt in gear!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    You've got the attitude for it, you're off to a great start.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and welcome to what most of us are going through. Just stick with it we all try and fail the important thing is that you are making that effort. We will suppport you and cheer you on. When we do that the motivation will come form within.
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place and what a positive attitude "Hi, Im the future "guy who lost 250 pounds"

Believing is seeing
  • queenwildcat
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I found MFP in January, and I have lost 47 pounds so far. I'm ALMOST halfway to my goal of losing a human being (120 pounds). You can do this!

BTW...have that burrito if you wish. Just plan to sweat it off later. That's the beauty of making a lifestyle change instead of dieting. You learn that you can eat what you want in moderation. If I want ice cream, I eat it, but I make sure to spend some extra time on the treadmill or working out. That's what moderation is all about.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish...good luck!