diet soda...good or evil???

Options
I have heard so many things going either way. What's the verdict??

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    For me, it's good. It tames my sweet tooth without actual sugar.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't attribute the word "evil" to food/beverages.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    For me, it's good. It tames my sweet tooth without actual sugar.

Me too. Me too. Have one with lunch so that I'm less tempted to go grab what a really want -- a piece of chocolate or five or ten.
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not so hot for you... try Zevia (sweetened with Stevia). Or use sparkling mineral water and add flavored Stevia to it, it tastes great when you want the flavor without HFCS or the toxic chemicals in diet drinks. When I drank regular diet soda I had headaches all of the time... I only get them now when I'm sick.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress ...... usually have only one can or bottle of diet per day, and try to drink more water ..... but usually end up drinking way too much coffee instead :drinker:

Have a wonderful day !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    diet soda is the devil!
  • StacieHof
    Options
    diet soda is the devil!

:laugh:
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am a Diet Coke addict (or should I say was?). I drank A LOT of it--that is until last week. I decided to give it up (cold turnkey). I didn't quit drinking it because of the caffienne (I'll still have a cup of coffee in the morning). I quit because I didn't think the chemicals were doing me any good, and also I didn't like the control it had over me. I have been battling migraine headaches since I quit drinking it, but they've gotten much better these past couple of days.

I went through a heck of a detox--to the point where I don't ever want to drink another drop. My thoughts are that if it created that kind of detox coming off of it, then it can't be good for the body. My excuse in the past when I continued to drink it was that there seems to be something "bad" in almost everything we eat and drink--but I have to say it feels pretty good no longer being a prisoner of it.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all the time, Everyday was like two or three 32oz fountain cups. then I decided I would stop. Quitting that stuff is like quitting crack. Now i just drink Boring ol' water
    er_zpsefce0f6f.gif

Oh and beer, I do still drink beer LOL.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Most of them have acids in them which can thin the tooth enamel and weaken the bones. Other than that and the fact that water is better for your kidneys I don't see a major problem with them.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    http://thesmilingman.hubpages.com/hub/Diet-pepsi-Ingredients-Explained

1. Carbonated Water: Plain water into which carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved.
    Health effects: Linked to tooth decay. May reduce fertility. Suspected teratogen (any agent that interferes with normal embryonic development).

2. Caramel Color: Brown food coloring and flavoring made by heating a sugar, usually corn syrup. May be processed with ammonia and sulfur to intensify color.
    Health effects: May contain ammonium compounds. May affect stomach (gastrointestinal problems), liver, and cause hyperactivity. Caramel color produced with ammonia has been associated with blood toxicity in animals. Associated with reduced white cells and lymphocyte counts.

3. Aspartame: Artificial sweetener. Made from aspartic acid and phenylalanine.
    Health effects: Studies link it to cancer in rats. May cause neurological and behavioral issues. Reported symptoms include irritability, headaches, insomnia, hyperactivity, seizures, memory loss, migraines, depression, vision problems, memory loss. Should be avoided by those with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria.

4. Phosphoric Acid: A colorless, odorless solution made from phosphate rock (not a food).
    Health effects: May lead to calcium loss in bones and tooth erosion. Eye, skin, throat, nose, and respiratory irritant. Can cause osteoporosis. Linked to kidney damage and kidney stones.
    *A corrosive, used to remove rust.

5. Potassium Benzoate: A preservative. Potassium salt of benzoic acid. Benzoic acid is synthesized commercially from toluene. Toluene is produced in the gasoline making process and the making of coke (carbon fuel produced by distillation of coal) from coal. Therefore, potassium benzoate is a petroleum or coal tar derivative.
    Health effects: Asthma, hives, eczema. Caution advised if aspirin sensitive. Benzene, a known cancer-causing agent, can form in soft drinks when sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid (vitamin c) are mixed.

6. Caffeine: A bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid that is a psychoactive stimulant drug.
    Health effects: Psychoactive, addictive. May cause headaches/migraines, heart disease, depression. Causes birth defects in rats. Can cross the placental barrier. Inhibits fetal growth. Women who consume the amount of caffeine in one and a half to three cups of coffee may nearly double their risk of miscarriage.

7. Citric acid: A weak organic acid used as a flavoring agent and a preservative. Extracted from citrus fruits or made by fermentation of yeast or mold. May contain MSG. May be genetically modified.
    Health effects: If MSG sensitive, may provoke symptoms.

8. Natural flavors: Any flavor not chemically derived. Obtained by physical processes from plants or animals. Made to provide flavor to a food rather than nutritional value. May contain MSG.
    Health effects: Unknown. Natural flavors may be acquired through any number of processes. Naturally derived ingredients may be altered, rendered unsafe.
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    I say as long as you drink diet soda in moderation (1-2 a day) it's ok. :drinker:
  • ohnomongo
    ohnomongo Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a scientist and I wrote a blog post about it. http://crunchyscientist.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/obesity-carbohydrates-diet-drinks-and-correlation-studies/

But basically: My husband has in the past brought up the idea of diet drinks causing weight gain and although I explained this fallacy to him at the time, he recently brought it up again. He said he “heard that diet drinks cause weight gain because people who drink diet drinks gained more weight over years than those who don’t”. I decided to try to find where he heard this and came up with nada. The interwebs seem to have started and circulated this rumor because there isn’t a Pubmed article I could find with this claim. Some counter arguments were raised on other websites saying that the study called 2lbs “weight gain” and it was a pure correlation study.

Really, what it comes down to is that no one has any idea what possible biological mechanism could cause an artificial sweetener that does not affect insulin levels and has no calories to have anything to do with weight.

Two articles did catch my attention though:

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17992188 for more

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21696306

These articles discuss diet and weight gain, saying

Within each 4-year period, participants gained an average of 3.35 lb (5th to 95th percentile, -4.1 to 12.4). On the basis of increased daily servings of individual dietary components, 4-year weight change was most strongly associated with the intake of potato chips (1.69 lb), potatoes (1.28 lb), sugar-sweetened beverages (1.00 lb), unprocessed red meats (0.95 lb), and processed meats (0.93 lb) and was inversely associated with the intake of vegetables (-0.22 lb), whole grains (-0.37 lb), fruits (-0.49 lb), nuts (-0.57 lb), and yogurt (-0.82 lb) (P≤0.005 for each comparison). Aggregate dietary changes were associated with substantial differences in weight change (3.93 lb across quintiles of dietary change). Other lifestyle factors were also independently associated with weight change (P<0.001), including physical activity (-1.76 lb across quintiles); alcohol use (0.41 lb per drink per day), smoking (new quitters, 5.17 lb; former smokers, 0.14 lb), sleep (more weight gain with <6 or >8 hours of sleep), and television watching (0.31 lb per hour per day).

and

There is no clear evidence that altering the proportion of total carbohydrate in the diet is an important determinant of energy intake. However, there is evidence that sugar-sweetened beverages do not induce satiety to the same extent as solid forms of carbohydrate, and that increases in sugar-sweetened soft drink consumption are associated with weight gain. Findings from studies on the effect of the dietary glycemic index on body weight have not been consistent.

In fact, replacing sugary drinks with diet drinks DOES decrease BMI in children [citation], which also presumably be the case in adults.

What’s the take home message? Don’t jump on a bandwagon without reading the studies yourself.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all the time, Everyday was like two or three 32oz fountain cups. then I decided I would stop. Quitting that stuff is like quitting crack. Now i just drink Boring ol' water
    er_zpsefce0f6f.gif

Oh and beer, I do still drink beer LOL.

Poor, poor Edward, having to give up his diet coke.... :laugh:
  • JohanR87
    JohanR87 Posts: 5
    Options
    Most diet soda's are not very healthy. This is because of the sweetener aspartam which is in most diet drinks. Safety regulations are still on the fence what to say about this particular artificial made sweetener, but there are reseachers who say that you have a higher chance on getting things like cancer. Of course: too much of anything is never good, but this artificial created sweetener shouldn't be taken lightly. It's the sole reason dieticians say you shouldnt be drinking more then 2 glasses a day of, for instance, diet cola.

Stevia on the other hand is a natural sweetener, created by nature itself and far more healthy. The reasons why stevia isn't in every product is:
    1) Stevia has a strong taste (taste 1 drop of it pure and you know what i mean), which means that it can alter the taste in things like cola, which the coca cola company doesn't like.
    2) Companies who make artificial sweeteners have long contracts with companies like coca cola (this one ive been told by the dietician, heck it sounds quite logical).

Evil: no, as long as you drink it like you should eat/drink anything else: within reason.
  • StacieHof
    Options
    I am a Diet Coke addict (or should I say was?). I drank A LOT of it--that is until last week. I decided to give it up (cold turnkey). I didn't quit drinking it because of the caffienne (I'll still have a cup of coffee in the morning). I quit because I didn't think the chemicals were doing me any good, and also I didn't like the control it had over me. I have been battling migraine headaches since I quit drinking it, but they've gotten much better these past couple of days.

I went through a heck of a detox--to the point where I don't ever want to drink another drop. My thought are that if it created that kind of detox coming off of it, then it can't be good for the body. My excuse in the past for continuing to drink it was that there seems to be something "bad" in almost everything we eat and drink--but I have to say it feels pretty good no longer being a prisoner of it.

Great job! It has been years since I drank regular diet soda but I remember the same detox feeling and I was still drinking caffeine. I was like a drug addict I had to go and get my fix every day until I quit. I felt so much better by the next week, no more headaches or numbness.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    neither
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    evil
    fake sugar ............

Bones

The phosphoric acid in diet sodas that is harmful for your teeth presents challenges for your bones as well. According to Pick, phosphorus from diet sodas can displace calcium from your bones. Your bones releasing more calcium increases your risk of developing osteoporosis as your bone stones will be lower. For a woman, this becomes a problem when you are menopausal; right now, your bones are protected by estrogen. Once your body stops producing estrogen, your bones increase their rate of calcium loss.

Weight Gain

Artificial sweeteners might lead to weight gain and put you at risk for developing metabolic syndrome. Terry Davidson and Susan Swithers of Purdue University found in their research that the brain might not be able to regulate calories based on food sweetness. This might lead to overeating as the body expects calories from the artificially sweetened food, and when the calories don't arrive, you might reach for food to satisfy this caloric expectation.

Metabolic Syndrome

Metabolic syndrome is a series of abnormalities in the body that lead to heart disease and diabetes because of altered body chemistry and a large waistline. Ravi Dhingra, M.D., and colleagues discovered a link with diet soda consumption and increased frequency of people with symptoms of metabolic syndrome. The researchers evaluated more than 6,000 participants and found consuming one can or more of diet sodas pose an increased risk of gaining body weight, altered cholesterol or triglyceride level or increased blood pressure, which can increase your risk of developing metabolic syndrome.

Gut Flora

Sucralose, approved in 1998 as an artificial sweetener, is chemically altered sugar with the addition of chlorine to the sugar's structure. Chlorine has antibacterial properties, which is why it is used as a disinfectant. Mohamed B. Abou-Diona and colleagues at Duke University discovered in their 12-week research study that fecal content of good bacteria was lower in rats fed sucralose. This change occurred in the rats' guts with a low dose of sucralose---1.1 mg per kilogram of body weight---but the FDA considers levels at 5 mg per kilogram of body weight acceptable and safe.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/209707-why-are-diet-sodas-bad/#ixzz2Sp1PmA8e
  • LordMarius
    LordMarius Posts: 28
    Options
    Both good and evil...I like the "grey" areas
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Question

Diet soda: Is it bad for you?

I drink diet soda every day. Could this be harmful?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer.

Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals. But diet soda isn't a health drink or a silver bullet for weight loss. Although switching from regular soda to diet soda may save you calories in the short term, it's not yet clear if it's effective for preventing obesity and related health problems.

Healthier low-calorie choices abound, including water, skim milk, and unsweetened tea or coffee.